Central Australia Trip Planning

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 20:17
ThreadID: 119493 Views:1998 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My partner and I are starting our plans to travel from Yarrawong vic up thru the Flinders Rangers to Alice Springs, Ayers Rock to Darwin and then most likely back via W.A we only have about 8/10 weeks to do it in
We are looking for advise we can set off in either mid April or early July next year 2016 which do you think is best time to set off
We have a Supreme Spirit LX 23ft Van we were hoping to spend 4 nights free camping and 3 nights in caravan parks to top on water and things
Can anyone give us ideas if you have done this trip recently
We are also up to have travel partners if anyone is planning to travel that way next year
Cheers Greg & Leonie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 20:55
Having just returned from Central Australia for the National Gathering, I can tell you the nights and early mornings are absolutely freezing in July, so perhaps an April departure will have you in the tropics when it's cold in the Centre. There's certainly plenty to see there so a week in Alice, and several days in the east McDonnells and best part of a week in the west McDonnells and 3 days at Yulara for Uluru and Kuta Tjuka.

I gather you were intending to enter WA via top end. Would not recommend Gt Central with a van as NT section to Kuta Tjuka is an absolute killer.
AnswerID: 557021

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 09:55

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 09:55
A few thoughts......for the trip outlined, 8 weeks is doable but the 10 week plan would add so much quality. We've done pretty much the same route a couple of years back on 90% sealed roads - the extra time gives you options for side track excursions and takes pressure off the deadlines factor. If following the coast of WA right round, there are places that you'll have trouble getting away from, particularly the Pilbara coast...weather, turquoise ocean, tropical fish (sigh).....and when you get down to SW-WA, the weather could be great (July take off plan) and there is so much to see down there. On departure timing - we usually go north in the first week of July (not this year, sigh 2)... weather wise, that plan has always turned out good for us. If you do a rough itinerary on paper, and then look up the weather stats and long range forecasts for the various regions for those times, you'll get a idea of what should happen.....but this is an El Nino year and could well be stronger than average....that could have some influence (mainly in the east though). In the end, you just have to pick a date and go, then be adaptable as you proceed....sounds easy....might work :-).
AnswerID: 557034

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:48

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 11:48
Greg, I would miss the Flinders Ranges as they are very "doable" as a separate trip from Yarrawonga.... this will give you more time in the Centre and Top end. Enjoy your planning and the trip.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 557041

Sponsored Links