Inverter

When free camping and i run the inverter i was told to make sure i turn off the battery charger,do we agree or not.
Cheers
Humpback
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 17:44

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 17:44
The battery may be connected to an active charger whilst supplying the inverter.
Just do not connect the charger to the inverter without a battery in circuit.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557052

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 17:55
On re-reading your post, the reference to "free camping" suggests that the charger would not be "active" (charging). If so it still would not matter if it was connected to the battery at the same time as the inverter.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 843355

Reply By: skulldug - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 18:45
Using your batteries to charge themselves through an inverter just doesn't seem wise.
Skull
AnswerID: 557057

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 19:02

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 19:02
You need to know if the power point that supplies the charger is also supplied by the inverter when there is no mains supply.

If it is then when you run the inverter off the batteries with no mains plugged in to the van, the charger may start and try to charge the battery, drawing power from the inverter, which in turn draws power from the battery. At best it won't work and will flatten your battery. At worst you could let the smoke out and damage something.

You need to check.

In the meantime, a good policy would be to turn off the charger when running the inverter, as suggested.

It would be a good idea to engage an electrician and test to see if the power point that supplies the charger is live when you run the inverter off the batteries with no mains connected. If not, no problems, no need to switch the charger off. If it is live, then you must switch the charger off.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 557058

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:49
Hey Frank,

I did not imagine the scenario you depicted when I answered..... and I still find it difficult to do so.

If it is as you describe then it could be much more dangerous than you suggest. If the charger is plugged into a 240v outlet then it would be one fed from the external 240v mains (pointless otherwise). Now if the inverter also were arranged to supply 240v to that outlet then it means that somewhere outside is a 3-pin male plug (intended for connection to the mains) that will have 240v on its exposed pins. This would be a most inappropriate and illegal installation.
(I am supposing that the wiring has NOT been fitted with a 240v changeover switch and wired appropriately.)

This whole thread is being responded to on the basis of speculation of the OP's setup and it is unwise for us to continue without a full, clear description of his installation.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 843370

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 21:28

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 21:28
G'day Allan,

On consideration, I agree with your last paragraph. Perhaps it would be best if the OP were to consult a licensed electrician to inspect his installation and advise.

In regard to illegal and inoperative configurations, based on my experience nothing would surprise me in the caravan industry. That experience includes my own van and those of others in my acquaintance that have required rectification. Single pole 240V powerpoint switches; inadequate 12V wiring for known currents and length of looms; unprotected wiring passing through holes in metalwork; overlength wiring shoved into recesses causing kinks, breakage and short circuits; wiring looms that are too short, preventing reasonable access for maintenance ... the list goes on.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843372

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 21:51

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 21:51
Right on Frank.

I have seen countless non-conforming electrical installations in my long career. In sheds, houses, caravans and workplaces. Many done by unqualified 'handymen' but even more alarmingly, some done by licensed electrical tradesmen. I was a direct witness to a death caused by an incorrectly designed installation on Commonwealth property and saw several more close-shaves. Frankly, I am astonished that there are not more deaths by electrocution...... just luck I presume.

Yet still there are many who believe that they are capable of working on electrical installations without proper training and certification. It is their very lack of electrical understanding that leads them to believe that they are capable!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 843373

Reply By: Honky - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:29
I was running a generator charging the batteries and as I already had the inverter set up I Used that for a 240 volt power source.
Fried the inverter when I turned it on.

Honky
AnswerID: 557063

Follow Up By: Honky - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:30

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 20:30
sorry, I should have said using a battery charger powered from a generator.

Honky
FollowupID: 843368

Sponsored Links