Uploading a blog

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 04:10
ThreadID: 119554 Views:2011 Replies:4 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Am about to attempt to upload our first blog for the 5th time. Am getting messages such as "ExplorOz cant find file" or "Upload Error".........File is Word .docx with .jpeg images embedded around 79mb.......HELP..........................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 07:36

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 07:36
Hi Guys,

I hope you had a good trip home with the grandkids :)

I think the overall document size is to large to download, try removing the photos and insert them individually into the blog when you edit it.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 557224

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 08:16

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 08:16
Hi Mike & Lorraine

Just as Sir Kev has mentioned, if you are trying to do it in one big hit, it would be too big to upload at one time if you have lots of photos.

What I always do is write what you intend to say as a word document. Once you have finished this, Then go in and start the process of creating your new Blog.

First of all, then copy and paste the wording only into the text section. To give you an idea of what it looks like, use the preview button to see what the wording will look like.

When you are happy with this, then start the process of uploading your images into the sections of the text where you would like the images to appear.

Depending on how fast your internet is, try uploading say 3 images first to see if there are any issues. Once they have successfully been uploaded, again use the preview button to make sure the images are in the correct location. At this point, you can also make the images bigger to suit your own personal requirements.

Keep doing this process until you have uploaded all your images, and then give it a final preview before posting it live.

Another important step that I also do, if you intend to make it a photo rich blog, is save the blog setup, but untick the live view icon. In this way, what ever you save is not lost in the event that there is a major issue when uploading the photos.

Keep doing this every 20 or so images uploaded and when the last one is in place, tick the live view icon and it will be live for the world to see.

All the best and looking forward to reading your first Blog.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557226

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 08:55
I should have added this image, but here it is now.

This is in the edit window and shows the images that you have uploaded and where they have been inserted in the text.

I hope this helps you out.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843519

Follow Up By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:00
Most importantly, save it often. As Stephen has said, untick the;

"Make this blog visible (uncheck for draft/hidden mode - visible to you only)"

box and save it every five photos or so. This way you will not lose your uploaded data. When done, check the box and submit it to make it visible to all.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843520

Reply By: Member - milowise - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:10

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 11:10
Have now lost about 5 hours of work due to absolute lack of knowledge of the language being used and my lack of experience in this area. Have decided to return to our previous method using email to circulate to friends and family. Thanks to Sir Kev, Stephen, et al but this has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had in this area and have only been working with computers since 1971.
AnswerID: 557231

Follow Up By: D-MaxerWA - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 20:15

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 20:15
Don't give up now, we are all waiting to see your blog :)

Only 5 hours of frustration, my dearly departed Dad would have put this down to brain stimulus. He used to be a ham radio man, but chose to only use morse code as he got older. Have to keep the brain ticking over was he reasoning.
D-MaxerWA

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 843533

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:13

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:13
Hi Mike

Before David implimented the blog system, I have lost more time than that. In the old way, there was no "save" ability and one night after 6 hours of working and adding photos, the Internet died.

I was not a happy camper, trust me, be never gave up and started fresh the next day.

Please do not give up, as doing your first blog is always the hardest, and it gets so much easier after that.

With the new way of creating blogs, David has made it much easier and if you save your information often, you do not lose any of your hard work.

Give it a go, as you now have many interested readings waiting yo see what you have to say.

All the best.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843547

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 22:30

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 22:30
Hi Mike and Lorraine

I use the method Stephen L describes; prepare the notes in Word then load to Blog, then add photos in strategic places, use Preview to get the text spacing around them looking neat. It does take a bit of time. You can go back and edit the Blog at any time if it doesn't look right. I update my old ones from time to time to ensure they give up to date information.

Don't give up.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 557262

Follow Up By: Member - milowise - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 03:27

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 03:27
Have just checked again and still cannot find a "save" button. And why cant I see the pictures as pictures and not a set of numbers, how do I know which set of numbers represents which picture. The text was no problem - I just copied it from a word .docx file straight into the blog and then uploaded some pickies, moved the numbers around, then tried to find a "save" button, then lost the lot (several times over grrrrr).

If someone can assist to solve these issues I will try again............................
FollowupID: 843549

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 07:47

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 07:47
Hi Mike,

As others have said the first blog is the hardest one, after that its easy. You have the support of the most prolific blog writers on the site so dont give up now.

Part of the confusion is that there is no "Save" button per se. If you use the "submit" button you will be saving your work. If you have unchecked the "make this post visible" box your post wont yet be visible to the world - but at this stage I wouldnt worry about that. Just keep it simple while you get you first post with one photo up for starters.

Also you must tick at least some of the various category boxes before you submit your post - if you dont do this you will not be able to submit your post.

Why do your photos show as a string of numbers? Use the preview button and you will see your photos. While in preview mode you can enlarge your photos by dragging the bottom right corner. Make them as big as you like but bear in mind the size will affect the way the text relates to the photo. (In preview mode I also edit out any black borders but that takes a bit more time but is not hard to do).

Hope that helps. We have all been down the route that you are currently struggling with, and as Stephen says, in the past it was a bit more cumbersome and we have all lost time (and gained experience) from it.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843550

Follow Up By: Member - milowise - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 06:27

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 06:27
Thanks for everybody's help and encouragement. Have uploaded and saved all my text and photos, just need to rearrange things before going public. However, preview reverted to raw data with the following message " Error converting data - Input string was not in a correct format.mscorlib". HELP
FollowupID: 843646

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 09:51

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 09:51
Hi Mike,
I have editted your blog. You had somehow removed a critical comma in the image tag code. It is now working fine. - Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843651

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:22

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 10:22
Looking forward to seeing your successful post!
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843652

Follow Up By: Member - milowise - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 16:37

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 16:37
Thanks again to D & M for fixing image tag code, need to be careful playing with them, was trying to get pickies in the right order. If it matters , one at a time seems to be the go.......

Only question now is "why isn't my blog on the list at the front of the blog site?" Is it because when the blog was 1st submitted it had an E lock and a higher security rating? Have now removed the lock and lowered the rating and friends and family are able to see it.
FollowupID: 843698

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 17:19

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 17:19
Hi Milowise,

Congratulations on your blog, its great. I have no idea why it is not coming up in the blog list, but FWIW when I clicked on "My Blog" beside your atavar it took me to your profile and from there I could see your blog. Doubtless David or Michelle will quickly sort it out for you. Keep 'em coming. Ideally do another one soon so you consolidate what you have learnt this time round.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843699

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 14:06
HI Miloswise, sorry I haven't responded to your query yet - it is very hectic here and I've only just had a chance to investigate and confirm that you are right - your blog is not appearing by chronological date order in the main blog index but is appearing if you search by Member name or click the link to your profile and go via that way. Very odd. Thanks for providing the extra info about your initial setup (ie. using EO key then turning it off) as I have forwarded that info to David (site developer) so that when he can investigate further. So - stand by. I will contact you via MM most likely as the issue is likely to be some corruption or bug carried over from the first problem, rather than anything that will help others here.

Also - I've just realised that you are the authors of the book we sell in our shop - Fingers Crossed Across Australia. I remember when you sent us your book to review for suitability to our shop. You've done a great job. Glad to hear that you got to make it to the Gathering and meet some of our Members. Sorry to have missed meeting you too. Please contact us if you're passing through Perth anytime though. MM
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843844

Sponsored Links