More Carnegie Retracing

Hi all,
Following on from my retracing of Carnegie in 2013 I have now followed his route from Mount Webb to the Gunbarrel Highway near Lake Breaden.

There was initially myself and Massie the dog and 4 other vehicles with 6 people.
We covered over 800kms in 18 days cross country.

Later on near the Searle Hills we would meet up with representatives of the Ngaanyatjarra Council.

Carnegie found a Native Well near a small range he thought was the Winnecke Hills of Tietkens. We found this well and there were many petroglyphs at the site.Carnegie saw a big hill to the east form the top of the range which was Mount Leisler.

He also found a rockhole near the Turner Hills. He thought these hills were the Davenport Range. We found this rockhole.

He also found a rockhole 8 miles south of the Turner Hills. We found this one also.

Then we went slightly off route to Sheridan Rocks, named by Hann - this was close to the route and we needed some water from a pump at the Sandly Blight Junction Road also.

I was always the lead vehicle and got many punctures. I had 5 brand new tyres plus 3 old spares and completely ruined them all by the end of the trip.

We met the Ngaanyatjarra people out near the Searle Hills.

We took them to a Pillar Carnegie passed on 27 May 1897 and they identified it through stories as Markura.

We found a rockhole that may have been visited by Carnegie on 29 May 1897 and everyone was quite excited about the discovery.

Then we visited Deep Rockholes. We didn't know exactly where this was. When we found it the Traditional owners immediately made it a provisional Aboriginal Heritage Site.

We then headed to the south west.Carnegie found another rockhole somewhere in this direction and we found a couple but cannot be sure they were Carnegie's.

Later we came across some old tracks of a vehicle and we followed these for a while. Mr Bennet was in my vehicle and was an expert tracker. He saw things I didn't. However we gave up following them after a while.

The Ngaanyatjarra people left us and headed west.
A couple of days later we crossed the Patjarr Track and some of went in to get some fuel. I had had two major fuel leaks due to bits and pieces getting ripped out from beneath my vehicle.

Heading south east again from Tikatika Rockholes I passed a man made line of rocks on the top of a ridge. Investigating there were a few rockholes below and many different arrangements of stones.

On June 6 1897 Carnegie found a few waterholes around a breakaway. I was a bit confused here at first as the smaller rockholes we found would not contain 30 gallons as Carnegie had described.

However I found the rockhole in the morning. It was completely filled in.

This is a video of us all digging it out.

Carnegie passed a creek on 7 June 1897 and found a native well along its course. We followed the creek but gave up looking as there were a number of possible places.

Before reaching Lake Breaden Carnegie found another Native Well. We found a couple of likely spots and they were almost spot on with Carnegie's stated latitude.

We reached the Gunbarrel and we all went our separate ways.

This report is just a summary - in all we found 21 Native Wells/Rockholes - not all of them were Carnegie's.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 17:27

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 17:27
Alan, great photos of as great adventure...

Baz
AnswerID: 557244

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 18:21
By Gee you put a lot of work into the planning of that trip, must have taken many many months, excellent work.

jeff
AnswerID: 557246

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:08

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:08
Thanks Jeff,
It did take a bit of planning but was very rewarding. It's quite a buzz to find things from the history books.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843538

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 08:24

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 08:24
Hi Jeff "many months' more like years - Alan Carnegie Jnr has lived and breathed Carnegie for some 13 years.
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843552

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 18:31

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 18:31
An absolutely fabulous report, Alan. Thank you.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 557248

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:11

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:11
Cheers Frank, it's going to take a while for my body to get back to normal though - I could hardly move for a couple of days after digging out the rockhole. I'm not back at work until Monday and be assured I will be spending most of the week on the couch.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843539

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 19:45
Really interesting, thanks.
AnswerID: 557254

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:55
Hi Alan.
Another great trip report. What a fantastic trip with some obvious extra financial costs to you and your group. If it were not for guys like you a lot of the rock roles would remain buried and lost for all time. My next door neighbour just returned from a trip trying to find anything that remained of his uncle who crashed landed his wacket trainer plane north east of cook i think in the late sixties. His body was never found and the plane is now in the museum at alice springs. Hopefully his remains will be found someday by some intrepid mordern day explorer.
Cheers Graeme
AnswerID: 557261

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:05

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:05
Hi Alan

Another great read and well done on locating those rock holes.

Now what is next?

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 557264

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:13

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:13
Hi Stephen,

I've had at least half a dozen people ask me that question and to be honest I don't know yet, though have 2 or 3 ideas.
Maybe a day trip to Rottnest? lol

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843548

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 08:26

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 08:26
Alan, I thought you said an Alaskan cruise was next - lol.

Sign me up for your next desert adventure - I don't care were to - they are all fantastic trips.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843553

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 08:22

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 08:22
Thanks Alan for a great trip - we found so many amazing sites, and to travel with the traditional owners was to me something special, something I'll treasure for a long time.

There were a few dislikes, ie the Broccoli patches, (thriptomene), number of punctures, my broken CV joint, the bent tie rod arm etc but that's all part of desert travel - you're presented with a challenge and try and sort it out.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 557268

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 14:22

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 14:22
Great pics there Phil,
Half the fun is having guys like yourself on the trip, thanks for being part of it.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843568

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 13:19

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 13:19
Thanks Alan
Excellent report and great photos.
Was there any paint left on the vehicles at the end?
You need some sponsorship to help with the costs - wonder which tyre company is willing to back their product out there?
AnswerID: 557278

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 14:26
Hi Krooznalong,

A couple of the vehicles had the scratch pro (or equivalent) on, however I have a few reminders of the trip downs the sides of the vehicle.

No tyre was immune out there however, we all had different brands on too.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843569

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 14:55

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 14:55
Hi Alan great report and photos. Met Mr Bennet a few years back on a Desert Discovery trip, he's quite a character. He had me sharpen his knife so they could cut up their roo tails.

How deep was the waterhole that has your tape measure in? The writing is too small for my old eyes.

I suspected Mick's shout out for any known water points around the Sandy Blight region was for you and your posse of merry followers.

You do realise you could start a whole debate over which are the best stake resistant tyres, especially as I noted that you had Coopers on.

Is Phil now twisting your arm about writing a book about your discovery of Carnegie to rival his CSR book?

cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 557283

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:37

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:37
Hi Duncan,
I did try some roo tail out there cooked on some coals - very fatty :-)

Waterhole was 15 feet deep.Carnegie said it went to almost 20 feet.

I definitely wont get into a tyre debate, been there before...
Not likely to write a book anytime soon I think - still lots to do first.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843581

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 18:31

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 18:31
That's what surprised me I would have thought that they were quite lean. The aboriginal women had fat and grease running down their chins, very un-lady like.

And that's a very deep hole and I think if you fell in it could be the last of you.

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843583

Sponsored Links