Animal Whistles on Front of Cars

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 18:17
ThreadID: 11960 Views:5280 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I ask this question not nowing how the animal whistles on the front of the cars work.

How do they work, ie is it just the high pitched whistle that humans can not hear that scares the animals away?

Also, I have seen cars with up to 8 of these whistles plastered all over the car. What is the beneift of so many? Is it just the greater the quantity, the greater the whistle volume and it reaches a further distance?

All advice appreciated as I do not know if I should look at purchasing these items

Thanks

TonyG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 18:37

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 18:37
Tony there is a lot of comment on these deterrents and also ShuRoos on the Archives. The comments on Shuroos seem to indicate they "may" work!

I have the animal deterrents plastic ones, just one pair and have not yet had any close encounters. A friend has them says that he has not either and when in a convoy with his car in front had no encounters with roos or emus, but with another friends car in front with no deterrents, there were a lot of near misses....... How do you tell? They are very cheap insurance if they work.

Pity is, I don't think I have run over any rabbits either. LOL
AnswerID: 53842

Reply By: Brian - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 19:36

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 19:36
I have a pair on the Navara and fid that the roos are expecting me rather than me scaring them which is when they panic and jump infront of you.
Either way @ 5$ it is cheap Bet on weateher they work or not!

Brian
AnswerID: 53843

Reply By: Richard - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:06

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:06
I had a set of the cheapies back in 2001 travelling between Bourke and Nyngan when 2 roos jumped out from the scrub. Travelling at 110kph didn't have much time to slow down. I got the 2nd one at about 100kph. Damage was about $3,500 but probably would have been $10,000 if I didn't have a nudge bar which took the impact.
AnswerID: 53845

Reply By: Member - Royce- Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:37

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 21:37
Shu roo, hiclone, fuel additives, rust inhibitors, COME IN SUCKERS!
AnswerID: 53848

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:26

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:26
Bai Lin Tea, Pyramid schemes, Toyota Landcruisers....the list goes on
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 315575

Reply By: ianmc - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 22:04

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 22:04
Having lived in a forested area with LOTS of roos I can only relate my subjective experience.
A neighbour had the Shu Roo but said that if roos are behind a tree or other solid object they do not hear the device (sound waves). This I cannot verify but he did not score many.
I had bought some plastic air flow type devices and the first day down my forest road I saw a BIG roo about 200m at 10 oclock and on hearing the car or the whistle he came hopping across the paddock then the fence & across the road very close in front of me.
About 15 mins later whilst returning down the same road I noted another roo standing close to a tree a metre or so from the road. He casually watched as I slowed & cautiously went past.
What more can I say except that when there was no approaching traffic I always drove down the middle of the road to give the critters a chance to double back into the bush.
AnswerID: 53850

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 08:48

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 08:48
I don't need one of those whistles. I have a secret weapon.

I tell my wife to wind the window down and then tell her she has to diet.

Well, the noise that comes out of the troopy for the nest 300km is enough to send every animal within 5km in the opposite direction..

Ps . Don't tell her I said that... lol
AnswerID: 53862

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:30

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:30
You could always record the sound you make when she finds out what you've just said for the world to read, and continually play that thru a loudspeaker on the front of the car.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 315576

Follow Up By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 21:11

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 21:11
Oh my GOD...What have I done?
FollowupID: 315581

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 09:31

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 09:31
I got 2 animals one 9 and one 12 will those little plastic things get rid off them.
No only joking they are my best mates.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 53866

Reply By: bollo - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:17

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:17
i have used these for years and hit nothing but a couple of birds.each time both whistles were blocked up with insects. clean them regularly and it is cheap insurance not only for roo's etc but also birds.
bollo
AnswerID: 53870

Reply By: Glenn D - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 19:40

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 19:40
Hi Tony ,I bought the ones from National Geographic store for about $30 .... since then I have ones that are identicle in SuperCheapAuto for $5. Havent used these in anger as I am setting myself up to go around Australia later this year.As for multiple fitment... I guess if you believe that they will work ,you will believe it when they tell you more work better !!
AnswerID: 53900

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 09:21

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 09:21
Iv'e used the plastic ones for a couple of years & they seem to work , roo's & birds seem to scatter as if they hear them.
AnswerID: 53916

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:53

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:53
I live in a 'bushy' rural area - at night I travel cautiously and reduce my speed in areas where I know 'roos are likely. I have had a couple of close encounters but none causing serious damage - touch wood! I also have my driving light beams crossed - so as to light the edge of the road and to 'see around corners'!
I don't believe the devices sold as deterents are a good idea in rural areas where there are fences, as the roos get scared and run onto the road.

Most roos tend to stand still when passing - unless it is early evening when they are still moving to find a suitable 'dinner' spot.

In the past, on longer 'holiday' trips outback, I have removed my roo bar (don't have a bar on current car) and lights - saving weight - as night travel is not necessary, and is dangerous.
AnswerID: 53923

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 23:17

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 23:17
Okay....... serious answers now. No scientific research that I have ever heard of supports even the theory of these whistles. It's a nice idea... but no logic. The roos would get used to any sound if they hear them enough.... What? The whistle is pitched at a special level? Where's the research or findings on that one? I wait for one of you to direct me to the research.

Why do you hit roos? Because they jump onto the road! Why do they jump onto the road? Usually because your bright headlights are dazzling them... the only thing they can see is the road. So they go there. When I am hearding stock at night [not often!] ... I shine the torch towards the gate I want them to go through... yep... they go into the light where they can see.

Only answer? Turn off your lights as you drive through the bush at night. Yep. no answer really.

Okay. Let's accept that there is a special whistle that roos don't like. You are driving towards them. If the road is not straight then they will not have the foggiest how to run away from you because you are approaching from all angles until you appear around the bend.

Have you noticed that the roos sometimes actually jump onto the road as you approach? I don't think roos are very smart. They don't understand that a car is a great lump of metal hurtling at them at a speed impossible for natural animals to move. They don't understand that they can't get across the road in time to avoid you... even if they are scared of a whistle.

To those who say they haven't hit a roo since they fitted a whistle or other device. Well.... I haven't hit a roo since I fitted my last set of tyres [about 25,000k ago] so I reckon my tyres must send out a special whistle to keep the roos away.

What about wombats, emus, koalas, magpies, rabbits, cats [sorry don't worry about the last two], wallabies, goannas, blue tongues.
AnswerID: 53976

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:34

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:34
mate i tried a couple on the hilux years ago only because they were a few bucks each, only effect i noticed was it drove dogs mad as i went past. Didn't stop the roo in coming down a hill over the fence in full flight out of the trees which i didn't see until he was straight in front of me, didn't even have time to get on the brakes and hit him before he even touched the ground - $ 4000 damage thanks very much........lucky i was going slow at the time. They only work above 60 Ks or so , same for shoo roos, fitted heaps to new cars and utes even got given a new one (still in box in shed) only effect was to drive one of the boys in the workshop mad when they were on..(good for a laugh or ten ) .

Best solution - slow down and be extra careful at dusk and dawn especially, good driving lights to see them, and when you spot one or more, dip the lights and slow down ready to stop if necessary. Save your dosh for something usefull.
AnswerID: 54036

Sponsored Links