How much does a new tyre sets me back in WA desert?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 22:22
ThreadID: 11963 Views:1925 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi G's

Me and my girl are planning a trip through the Kimberley and WA deserts.
I'm already anticipating a few punctures and worse ;-)
Does anybody has a clue what a tyre repair and a fresh tyre for Landcruiser will set us back?
And does anyone has an idea on tyre consuming on a 6000 km offroad trip?
(eg how much tyre's or repairs is a good guess?) I'm trying to come up with a budget for this trip cause my resources aren't endless ;-)

Thnx in advance!

Michel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 01:44

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 01:44
What sort of tyres will you need to buy?.If you have the original landcruiser rim fitted they will be the cheapest and easiest to find tyres for in the outback.
I would take 2 spare and get one of those kits with the levers and learn to fix them yourself.Practice before you go and it will give you enormous confidence.
A compressor is mandatory.
Everything in the remote areas of WA will cost at least 20%-30% more than city prices.
Tyre consumption will depend on numerous variables.Its best to start with a good set and you may get through without a flat (with some careful driving and luck).

Have a look at the Vehicle Requirements and Trip Planning section at the top of this page
Good luck on your trip
AnswerID: 53859

Follow Up By: ross - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 01:53

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 01:53
See also post #11951 below
FollowupID: 315527

Follow Up By: WinterMute - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 04:54

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 04:54
Hi Ross,

Thnx for your quick and thorough answer.
We will use the original rims and we wil take a compressor ;-)
I already have repaired some punctures in the past so I should be OK on that. So with 2 spares, 2 innertubes and a puncturekit we will manage I suppose?

Grtzz,

Michel
FollowupID: 315529

Follow Up By: ross - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 13:22

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 13:22
Sounds like you have it well covered Michel.
You have to draw a line against being prepared and being overloaded.
FollowupID: 315544

Reply By: Member - Brett H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 08:36

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 08:36
The trye bloke in Derby , behind the yellow auto spare parts placce, was very reasonable. I got a couple of Bridgestone 10.5r15 and they were well under $200 per tyre. I was expecting to pay over the $200 mark.

As for repair, I would not budget for repair just replacement.
AnswerID: 53860

Reply By: Member - Bear - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:00

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:00
I had to buy a new tyre (thats all they had) at Mt Barnet last year and it cost me $395.00 (it was an Adventurer) and i still had to jack the car and remove and replace the bludger myself.

They don't mis you but then again put yourself in there shoes - you can't complain.
AnswerID: 53869

Reply By: snaps - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 13:43

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 13:43
Hey Michel,
I work for a mining company in the Pilbara and all the geo's insist on the Bridgestone MIXED STEELS for the exploration vehicles. I haven't any idea how they perform in deep sand or Mud but I do know they are very puncture resistant. I was goin to fit them to the Hilux but they don't make them in a 16" wheel.

Michel I don't know to what level of puncture repair experience you have if its heaps disregard the following if not read on it may offer some solutions.
As for the puncture repairs and especailly if your using Split Rims I'd be asking your tyre fitter to show you the technique and hazards of repairing the punctures and refitting the tyre to the rim in the bush as split can be extremely dangerous rims if the locking ring is damaged or isn't fitted back properly but easier to fix in the bush but if your shown the correct way its easy and less hazardous

If it was me doing this trip through the desert I'd Look at taking 2 x fully mounted Spare Tyres, 4-5 new Tubes, a good compressor, 2x tyre levers, a spare wheel brace, A Reima TIP TOP PUNCTURE and TYRE REPAIR KIT ( about $60 up here but heaps of gear in it)and a good quality Rubber Mallet and a bead breaker or using hard ground and the front rh wheel of the vehicle as the bead breaker.

As a precaution I always re-inflate the repaired tyre with the split ring facing upside down on a small tarp and under the vehicle, because if the split rings is damaged or not seated properly and decides to let go it fires the ring into the dirt and the tyre and rim hit the underside of your vehicle. People have been fatal injured or mamed by the ringsin the past but if handled correctly theres no problem with them.
But if you can do it yourself you'll save yourself some dollars and save being stuck with 4 flat tyres

Good luck with the trip and I hope this info is of some use to you
Cheers
Snaps
AnswerID: 53872

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 18:21

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 18:21
Good idea about putting the wheel upside down when inflating. I normally just walk away from it and watch from a distance. Or put a bag over it if you have worries. I have never ever had a problem in 30 years of running splits. But you never know! I think if one has to decide on going bush for a great distance then 10pr tyres should be the go. I run 8pr Desert Duelers and they serve me well.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 315560

Reply By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 19:34

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 19:34
Get yerself a tarp or heavy blanket to carry out the removal of the tyre & tube and the replacement of same. If you do it on the dirt, the tyre gets dirt and tiny rocks in it no matter how hard you try to keep it clean. The result is another pucture, with possibly a 'frayed' tube in about 100 kms. Keep it clean when putting it all back togethter again.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 53899

Reply By: WinterMute - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 23:01

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 23:01
Hello Lads,

I have to say, you OZ guys still amaze me!
It will be our second trip to your country and I'm already sure it will be a nice one.
You guys specialize in good honest friendly answers :-)

We will take all your tricks & tips into account!

Thnx!

Michel
AnswerID: 53910

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 23:35

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 23:35
Got a puncture in a tyre and had to buy a new one after the trip across the Tanimi a half dozen years ago. Arrived at Derby in the Kimberly. Paid same prices as Melbourne! [Toyota] .... how about that?
AnswerID: 53980

Sponsored Links