Water Filters/Seperators

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 09:05
ThreadID: 119635 Views:2141 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day, have trawled the archives and find that a lot of the threads are old, does anybody have up to date information on the "best" water filter/separator for modern CRD? Thanks in advance.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hagar - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:00

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:00
have a look at Western filter site you need at least 60 lt an hour flow rate for filter placed before original filter
AnswerID: 557460

Follow Up By: Gazza11 - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:43

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:43
Have a look at the "WaterWatch" unit http://www.waterindiesel.com.au/water-watch-system/

Gazza
FollowupID: 843789

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:48

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:48
This matter was on my to-do list as well 'til I found that my new diesel had a water separator as part of the filter. Otherwise Stanadyne was on my short list:
http://stanadyneadditives.com/filtration-systems/fuel-manager/
FollowupID: 843791

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:37

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:37
Greetings John. Trust the birthday celebrations went well.

“The Best” in relation to anything is always subjective and often emotive. Whether it’s the best or not I don’t know but I can provide a glowing recommendation of the Fuel Manager system based on my own experiences. Rest assured this recommendation is not anecdotal (someone telling me about it) one.

I’ve been using the Fuel Manager system on the TD4.5 V8 and I reckon it’s saved my bacon a couple of times. (See Sigmunds link above). I have coupled it with the audible alarm in the cab. The filter is aft of the Toyota filter allowing it to do its job in the first instance yet take care of business if something does get by to the keeper. I was motivated to fit it because of the many remote locations I was pulling fuel from and the twitchiness of the Toyota filters (and anybody who relies on them for fuel safety need only refer to the many current examples of where the filter have failed as has Toyota’s willingness to stand by their warranties where dirty fuel has been involved.)

One of the best precursor investments you can make is a filter funnel like the “Mr Funnel”. After that I recommend a serious secondary filter. The cost compared to a fuel pump/injector and or motor rebuild is negligible.

Safe travels to you.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557464

Follow Up By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:47

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:47
Mick, thanks for the reply, yes, birthday went well, big 60, only a few months till retirement. "best" was typed the way I did, as it is indeed subjective. Have done some research and find the idea of having a filter as part of the removal/detection process a plus. Now just have to find out if the FM100 or FM1000 is the one recommended. One thing I am concerned about with the Fuel Manager is the size of the light and I presume buzzer! Do you know if the light and buzzer unit can be downsized or is the unit a control unit also? I will continue the search for the "best", lol
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843797

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 17:30

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 17:30
John,

I have the FM100 fitted pre factory filter on my new 79 series dual cab and have the water alarm wired into the factory warning light. Thus if the warning light goes off I can drain the water/change the FM100 filter in the first instance and if needed then changed the factory filter.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 843805

Follow Up By: Member - Hillel K (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jul 28, 2015 at 19:31
Hi John I have fitted the FM100 filter with buzzer and light . The buzzer is small and wired in behind the dash , the warning light I removed from the unit they supplied and then fitted just the light in a spare switch plate.
Cheers Hill
FollowupID: 843813

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 06:15

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 06:15
Thank you all for the replies and comments, have decided to go with the FM100.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843825

Sponsored Links