Air tank

Submitted: Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 15:59
ThreadID: 11976 Views:2667 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Have been reading the archived threads on the topic of air compressors, and concluded that I don't need Endless Air. A good 12V compressor with a decent air tank will (I think) do the same quick air-up without the mounting hassles of Endless Air on my 80 series LC. Any ideas about the size of tank needed to air up 4 tyres after sand driving? My brother uses a PVC tube as an air tank on a bore, and it handles 120psi no worries. Anyone used a PVC pipe as an air tank? I can use a 9L water fire extinguisher, but not sure if it's big enough for 4 tyres.

Thanks
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ralph2 - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 16:49

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 16:49
HI , in 4wd monthly back in Nov 2003 they fitted a 20lt tank, and using a ARB compressor it took about 10min to fill the tank from empty, they said inflating tyres from 24psi to 32 took only seconds for the 1st fractionlly longer for the 2nd and while inflating the 3rd the compressor kicked in, so if you wanted to fill all 4 tyres with out the compressor comming on or inflate from lower preasures it seems you would need a bigger tank.
AnswerID: 53933

Follow Up By: jiarna - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:07

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:07
Thanks Ralph2. I guess the tank filling time will depend on the compressor used. Can you remember what the fill pressure was - I'm planning on using it at 100psi.
FollowupID: 315604

Reply By: navaraman - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:17

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:17
Most of the stuff I've read about air tanks has been to fill them to 100psi. One of the ARB compressors shouldn't be used because it doesn't have a shut off valve. I'll try and find the link.
AnswerID: 53936

Reply By: The Banjo - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:54

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:54
I went to the plumbing shop .... they had PVC pipe and fittings rated to about 140 psi.....my ARB cuts out at 100 !.....I ran a length of this pipe through my ARB bullbar...there are big holes in the frames so you can get quite a long pipe in there...used 60mm I think....not cheap.....should use the largest diameter that will fit..... glue the ends on....let it cure for a week.....fitted a tee to the pump outlet...ran some rated hose for the air tools supplier down to the tank. Fitted a brass outlet to the tubing cap. fabricated some brackets to keep it there. Works well for me....litres are the thing....added about 5 litres to the system.....I only want some more "blow" for cleaning items when doing bush maintenance.....I do not expect to inflate tyres with this capacity. If you can't take the time to inflate tyres with an an ARB pump, you might be hurrying too much.
AnswerID: 53941

Follow Up By: jiarna - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 18:08

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 18:08
Point taken - it's not a race. Up til now, I have been inflating my tyres by hand, so I'm ready to spend a few dollars on a decent compressed air system!! Not too many $ though, as diesel costs $1.18 - $1.20 per litre where I live.
FollowupID: 315608

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:12

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:12
The plastic tanks sound good, but how will they handle constant vibration?

Where the joints are made to recieve hoses and such, I would have thought that the plastic would eventually break!

I made an aluminium tank out of three lengths of grade 7 tube, with the ends tig'd on and three aluminium fittings to take air, in/out, water drain and pressure-switch systems.

The total cost of $80.00 of aluminium and a carton of coopers for welding work! It won't break either, being based on 2mm grade 7 airframe grade material!

The three lengths make up 60L and sit outside the truck beside the fuel tank (GU patrol 3.0TDi)

Chris
AnswerID: 53967

Follow Up By: Roachie - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:45

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:45
Chris,
I'm interested in your placement; "beside the fuel tank"?
Is that your main or sub tank? If main, is it a long range or standard? Where abouts (ie: which side of the fuel tank)?
I seem to spend half my life crawling around under the Patrol (4.2T/D) and apart from some space on the outside of the chassis rails (between them and the side steps) I'll be buggared if I can envisage fitting 3x20 litre tubes in separately, let alone all made up into one tank. I do have a bit of room on the inside of the left chassis rail where the large muffler used to live, as I've put a 3" exhaust and small hotdog muffler on. Mine has a 145ltr main tank, but I don't thinks it takes up much more room than the OE tank (which sounds bloody stupid I know).
It's great that you've been able to do it......I'd just love to see how you've managed it.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 315696

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:48

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:48
G'day there. I run on the outside of the chassis rails, from the sub-tank through to the front of the drivers door. There's plenty of room there!

I've only got 120L of fuel on board. On the other side of the car, I use the same tanks, plastic lined, to hold drinking water.

Chris.
FollowupID: 315839

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:53

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:53
Chris, Thanks for that. I do recall experimenting by using some cardboard poster holders as a template (like you get from aussie post etc) to see how much of a water tank I could cobble together on the passender's side, outside the chassis rail. I gave the idea away. Under the drivers seat outside the chassis rail is where I've mounted my "DEBUG" unit for the diesel fuel and with the metal stone guard I made up to protect it, that takes up a fair amount of that free space on the driver's side.
Thanks Chris,
Roachie
FollowupID: 315851

Sponsored Links