Patrol conversion

Submitted: Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 19:33
ThreadID: 11984 Views:10135 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am considering having our new Patrol wagon chopped off at the rear and having ute tray fitted.
Are there any pitfalls to be aware of or any other clues or ideas?
Also what cost would be involved
I am from the Townsville area North Qld
Thanks in advance.... Poppy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 20:15

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 20:15
Why not just trade it on a coil cab ute?
AnswerID: 53952

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 20:28

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 20:28
Insurance will be an issue,
check with engineer requirements as Qld are that tight you cant even run larger tires without death....

As someone else said, go for a coil cab.
AnswerID: 53954

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:03

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:03
It would be expensive, but not a problem engineering-wise.

There aren't many ADR's that you would come up against as the Patrol and Landcruiser are classified as LCV's (light commercial vehicles).

One ADR that comes to mind covers the length of overhang on the axle, but most of the companies that I've seen making these vehicles add an extension kit to the chassis that moves the rear axle back about 900mm.

With regards to insurance, TCIS or Shannons. That's probably the only people that would look at you.

I've seen a few, I even think that there was a V8 GQ patrol featured about 18 months ago in the Aus4x4monthly mag.

One of them even uses the old wheel-well space to fit water tight boxes for recovery gear and other storage. Fancy sticking a 900CCA battery in one?!

AnswerID: 53964

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:09

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:09
Poppy.
I assume you want a dual cab, the engineering charge in Vic is $440 if the chassis is extended 300MM, more than that reqiures full engineering computations. The problem with the setup is the load carrying capacity, the standard patrol can carry 700KG when you add the load of the extra steel and the tray you will end up with a legal load on you tray of about 500Kg, if you want to increase the load you have to go to the leaf spring ute axle and brakes, this is starting to get expensive but still possible. good luck Eric.
AnswerID: 53966

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:26

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 22:26
G'dayPoppy,
You may wish to check the following...

www.sixwheeler.com.au (Dalby)
www.rustrite.com.au (Brisbane, northside)

I know there are others doing these conversions as well (not aware of anyone in Townsville, though), so presumably they'd have all the relevant rego. & ADR compliance issues sorted out...
(With due respect to Trucksters' views), I can't see why insurance would be an issue if the conversion meets all legal requirements....

Do you have any particular "builder" in mind??
BTW, if ya decide to go ahead with the conversion, I "bags" the (body mounted) tail-light assemblies... (at a sensible price, of course).... TIA

Regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 53969

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:20

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:20
Poppy, I have seen a few of these conversions around and have been thinking of getting a patrol or landcruiser ute converted to an extra-cab for the extra internal space, as I already have a hilux extra-cab great vehicle but is under powered for pulling an offroad camper. I think that if it is profesionally done and engeneered rego shouldn't be a problem, not sure about insurance though. My question is how strong are the add on joints at the welds when it comes to body flex and stress due to corregations etc. will they crack? If the big two manufacturers woke up to the fact that there is a market for six cylinder utes in exrta and dual cabs they would sell heaps.

Athol.
AnswerID: 54000

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:46

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:46
hmmm Patrol extra cab.... You really do need that little bit extra storage so you can store things safely. There is a cruiser ute in the latest 4wd monthly. It looks more a single cab but couldn't see why it couldn't not of been an extra cab.

Leroy
FollowupID: 315698

Reply By: Poppy - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 20:47

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 20:47
Well thanks fellers
A host of ideas there
Trading in on a coil cab isn't an option as I want the extra room that a "twincab" gives
I have seen a few around the traps and like the idea of being able to carry gen set and outboard motor etc outside of vehicle and still retain most of interior seating
Anyway thanks for your help will let you know what develops
Regards Poppy
AnswerID: 54074

Reply By: Member - Timothy N (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:12

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:12
G'day Poppy. I currently have a patrol wagon being converted in Brisbane by Creative Conversions (Rustrite). I went for a 600mm chassis stretch and an 1800mm alloy tray to keep the weight down. Their claim is that this set up will be very close to the weight of the original wagon, and retain most of its legal payload.
Rustrite will do a GVM upgrade if required to enable an extra 300kg to be carried.
All the reputable conversion places provide the relevant engineers certificates required for registration. I hope insurance will not be a problem?! My type of conversion complete with certification, tray, toolboxes and _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx is about $16,000. Besides the Ford f250, this was the only real option for my work and family play. Hopefully I've made the right decision!
Have a look at www.rustrite.com.au and www.rwvconversions.com.au (Cairns).
Good luck. Tim.
AnswerID: 54080

Sponsored Links