uhf protocol

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:02
ThreadID: 12010 Views:2386 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

We're about to set off on our half lap around this great continent and was wondering if you might be able to advise us on topics related to using UHF.

1. What channels are regarded as being OK to use? What channels are regarded as not being OK to use? What channels do most travellers use?

2. Any other tips would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:24

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:24
UHF Channels are not used correctly in most places, but I spose you can try! ;-)
As far as I am aware it goes somthing like this:
Caravans: 18
trucks: 40 (or general highway use)
4x4 clubs: 10-18
emergency: 5 (duplex mode)
repeaters: 1-8 (repeat list availble on this site)
data/telemetry only for farming equipment? (do not use): 22-23
(about this data channel I have never heard any telemtry, however i spose in more remote areas stations might be running wells and bores with telemetry so make sure there isn't any weird modem like noises before using.

Just be polite, say "breaker" if you want to join in on some one else's conversation and wait to be aknoledged, but alot of it's just common sense. Just be polite and she'll be right!
I normally have two radios, one scanning all channels and one on my convey channel. That way I can here what everyone else is up to as well as not missing any important convo's from my group.
AnswerID: 54061

Follow Up By: Phil - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:26

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:26
Jeff,
Can you tell me what the duplex button does? My radio doesnt scan.
Phil
FollowupID: 315718

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:32

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:32
Duplex is what you use if you want to talk on a repeater. A Repeater is a radio setup somewhere high with a very good beam antenna/s to allow you to talk much further than you normally could from one radio to another.
When duplex is turned on (normally can only be activated on channels 1 through 8) when you hold your transmit button down and talk it will transmit on a totally different channel to the one displayed on your radio. ie

Transmit on channel 1 with duplex activated you will actually transmit on channel 31.
Why?? Because the repeater is listening on channel 31 and then re-transmits your signal on channel 1 so that people all over the place can here you.
2=32
3=33
4=34 etc.
Ergo you should not talk on chanels 1-8 in simplex (without duplex on) and you should not talk at all on channels 31-38.
AnswerID: 54062

Follow Up By: Phil - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:54

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:54
Thanks for those responses. It makes a lot more sense now. Thanks again Phil
FollowupID: 315788

Follow Up By: uppy - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:26

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 10:26
Hi Jeff wa, Im looking good at getting that radio that i mention to you. Where is there a good place to get it installed
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 315799

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:14

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:14
Uppy, my place, just before beer o'clock.
We just need to sort you out an ariel and we'll have it in your school bus in less than an hour mate!
Opposite lock have a great little GME Dipole for about $27.00 inc GST (same as mine). As you can tell from the other day it's certainlly no toy, it get's across 4 suburbs to your hand held loud and clear.
FollowupID: 315805

Reply By: jiarna - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:34

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:34
A couple of bits to add:

1. To find out what is the local repeater when you don't have a local UHF map and need to call for help, switch to duplex mode on channel 1-8 and briefly transmit on each channel. When you get the right channel, you'll hear a morse code identifier from the repeater when you stop transmitting. Of course this only works when you are within range of a repeater.

2. Telemetry is being more and more widely used to monitor Outback bores, tanks, pumps, etc. I live in Oodnadatta, and one of the local cattle stations uses the channel 4 repeater to monitor all their water sources. They can even start the diesel pump remotely, then monitor water flow into the tank. This is partly why it's best not to use the repeater channels for convoy chit chat.

Cheers
jiarna
AnswerID: 54119

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:17

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:17
Absolutely jiarna, repeater channels are NOT for convey use, there is no need to waste a repeaters resources and usfulness if the bloke your talking to is .5km in front of you!! ;-)
FollowupID: 315806

Sponsored Links