Do I need new Shockies?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 13:28
ThreadID: 12033 Views:2269 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Posted this query a while back on the Pajero club forum but got no takers. Am hoping some of you suspension guru's may be able to give some advice.

I'm looking to do a suspension lift on my NM Pajero. The original shocks seem quite OK so I don't want to replace them if I don't have to ($$$). Am I correct in thinking that they will be OK with about a 2" lift (King Springs) front and rear? I believe that the suspension travel on an independent suspension setup is governed by the bump stops on the swing arms and therefore I don't need longer travel shocks.
Should I be able to get away with this and only replace the shocks when they are worn out?

Thanks all.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:32

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:32
Mate, you're going to have to take the shockies off and see how much extra travel there is available in them to start with in my opinion. For example. Lets say the eye-to-eye distance of your shockie as it sits in your driveway at present is 300mm.
If you take it off the vehicle and stretch it out to it's full extent and it only goes to 350mm, then when you give your car a 50mm lift, the shockies are going to be at full stretch and there'll be no free play to work with.....so you'd need to get longer ones.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 54175

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:35

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:35
MrBitchi,
The shocks on your vehicle are probably worn out already. Replacing the back only will mean that the vehicle will handle like a dog running on a polished floor.
Suspension is such a very important part of your vehicle that short cuts should not be taken. If you are going to replace the shocks, replace all four.
The front of the vehicle would have sagged a bit so it would look low,you can wind the torsion bars up until the swing arm is just below centre between the bump stops. That wil give you the biggest lift with out wearing out the CV joints early. A 40mm lift on the back would be better as the front will not be that high, and you don't want the vehicle driving down hill all the time.

Wayne
AnswerID: 54176

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:58

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 14:58
Wayne,
Its an NM model, has real coil springs all round, not torsion bars. I agree however that I would need to do both ends at once. Has done about 65K and shocks still feel fine. The query is really about suspension travel on Independent suspension systems.
If you raise an independant system by putting on longer springs, surely what you are doing is changing the "at rest" point of the swing arm (the normal unloaded resting position). The amount of travel of the swing arm is governed by the bump stops top and bottom, not the length of the spring or the shock absorber. Longer springs will not increase wheel articulation on an independant system; they will just change the ride height. I would actually end up with less "down" travel as the "at rest" position will be closer to the bottom bump stop, but more "up" travel. Does that make sense?

My brain aches.....

John
FollowupID: 315840

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:27

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:27
John,

Tough dog do a 2" lift for the Paj. I would give them a call. What you say is logical about the rest point changing due to the lift and the std shock working withing the limits so if you change the at rest point you should still be able to use the std shocks as it will be still working between the bumpstop limits. I would look at changing the shocks with the springs as you will find they are matched to the spring. You may find the kings you install can't be controlled by the std shocks as they may be too soft.

Leroy
FollowupID: 315847

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:36

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:36
Leroy,

"you will find they are matched to the spring"

Never thought of that. Makes sense though so I guess I'll just have to save the sheckels for a little longer.

Thanks...
John
FollowupID: 315955

Reply By: Lynn2 - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:54

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:54
Illawarra OffRoad claim they can fit new TJM coils (out of the same spring factory as OME) WITHOUT changing the shock absorbers and acieve about a 40 mm lift. Apparently it's not the easiest job in the world on a NM/NP so I think I would stretch the budget and fit new coils and shocks.
AnswerID: 54190

Reply By: RayMc - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 22:55

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 22:55
Gday MrBitchi
I recently spoke with WA Suspensions with the same question you are asking. They suggested that the shocks which are OE are good quality with very good travel and would handle the lift with out problem. Supply and fit all 4 with wheel alignment for front and rear was $670. Big difference between that and ARB with total cost of $1550 (springs and shocks)
Cheers
Ray Mc
AnswerID: 54759

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:49

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 07:49
G'day Ray,
Have you actually had them fitted yet? If so, how do you find the ride and handling and what springs did you use? How does it go off road?
Thanks....
FollowupID: 316592

Reply By: RayMc - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:27

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:27
Sorry mate, can't help you there just yet. They are "Lovell's" springs (NSW based) and from memory give a 40 - 50 mm lift once settled, they are also a heavier spring than OE. I need to do something soon as I almost think that I need to replace the bumper stops soon as they are getting such a workout :-)) it also makes the ride a bit harsh. Please let me know which way you go.
Cheers
Ray
AnswerID: 54935

Sponsored Links