This Thread has been Archived
Colin Axel+KAREN I am very interested in your discussions and results
regarding modifications that you made to your chescold portable fridge
but I have had no sucess with my search on Sadec can you give me some
additional info to enable me acess this site many thanks Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axel +Karen - Sunday, May 26, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 26, 2002 at 00:00
Geoff, collin posted info on sadec,you should be able to find his postings in the archives under fridges , as for our chescold, is a mk 11, R50T, have fitted a small 12volt fan that i bought from a local computer repair shop, $11 , is only 3inch sqare and 1inch thick ,_Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 0.14 amps ,fitted inside back cover verticaly between cover and condenser coils,_Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx heat away from coils thus increasing efficiency ,,wiring is only simple ,tapped into original 12 volt so fan runs when on 12 volt,,also ran a new quick conect plug and switch to fan so that when runing on gas can also run fan only ,,, system works briliantly,,best of both worlds ,silence of gas with efficency of a compressor driven unit ,,engle ect...cheers to icy cold beer,,,,Axel,
AnswerID: 3832

Follow Up By: Goran - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00
Axel , I own RC1180 50L Chescold (fridge and freezer) and have done same modification using two fans under condenser (blowing the heat trough the top cover).
I have not done proper testing yet , but it looks very promising at this stage. Thank you for your advice. Only query i have is time from hot to cold during your test . You said it was 2 hours from 23C to -10C . Is this inside element temp, or did you position termometer away from the element ? I am asking because my Chescold definetly won't cool down that fast . Again , i have not tesed it yet , but i will following your response.
Cheers
FollowupID: 1642

Reply By: geoff - Sunday, May 26, 2002 at 00:00

Axel+Karen

thank you for help and info on Chescold the improvments on your unit
very impressive indeed and for such a small outlay
THANKS HEAPS for your reply Geoff

AnswerID: 3837

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Sunday, May 26, 2002 at 00:00

Your welcome,, did some temp testing just to see the real variences fan and no fan,, unit in air con room at constant 23 degrees celsius,, run on 240 only,-4 , with fan -10 , gas only ,-5 ,with fan -12 , bigest change on 12 volt , 0 degrees 12 volt only ,with fan -15 , testing was done over 3 days letting fridge unit totaly go back to room temp in between changes of power source and no fan /fan use ,same thermo in same position each time , thermostat set on highest setting and unit empty bar the thermometer, all temp readings were taken 2 hours after start of power source change ,,,,,, hope this info helps ,,and remember this is just a chescold fridge, NOT a fridge freezer,,,,,Axel
FollowupID: 1632

Reply By: geoff - Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00
Axel+karen
you have certainly done your testing in a most professional manner
I am most impressed what i am considering in my caravan when I do
the big trip around aust in 12 mths time is to complement my van fridge
with a full time portable freezer.
in my van there is already a double door cupboard with a sliding shelf
which previously housed a 29 ltr Engel this cupboard is complete with
240 and 12 volt outlets and is vented to atmosphere via a fluted opening externel hatch .This was all custom built for original owner .
You have me thinking big time about the chescould AS A FREEZER
Thanks again geoff
AnswerID: 3854

Reply By: Tim - Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 27, 2002 at 00:00
The above results were well done and documented pls note these results may not be able to be reproduced if you you fit a 3 way fridge permantly in a cupboard or similar location in a van.this is because these units must be absolutely dead level to achieve great results,for example they will only just cool if used in a moving vehicle. it is recommended that you use a spirit level to adjust the position of the fridge to achieve good results,if you use it inside a van ensure you are able to fine tune and adjust to fridge to absolute dead level when parked. be assured you will not maintain sub zero temps while caravan is moving,otherwise they are an exceptionally reliable unit.
AnswerID: 3857

Reply By: Colin - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

Geoff - no doubt all the replies you have got will have answered your query. The frig only needs to be level when running on gas - I generally level it by eye ! My Sadec frosts up the element on 12v (which it never did before) but I haven't done a check of actual temps. The combination of fan, extra insulation and heavy 12v power cable certainly made a considerable change to the inside temp of my frig. If your frig is in a enclosed area in a van I would think the fan/fans would help a lot. I am also going to change fan so it will run while on gas.
AnswerID: 3868

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

Geoff, You can now buy things called fuel cells which can pull the hydrogen out of gas and then convert it to elecricity. You can probably pick one up to do what you want for about $250,000. But as with all new gadgets, they will probably drop in price in time. I can remember when solar panels were an incredible price. Hope this helps. Mal.
FollowupID: 1645

Reply By: Axel +Karen - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00
Goran,,two hours ,thermometer resting on glass of water in center of fridge ,solid ice in two hours ,,,,standard pot beer glass filled 2/3rds,,thermostat on maximum for all tests.. Axel.
AnswerID: 3900

Follow Up By: Colin - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
I presume this test was while on 240v ?? I don't have the manual for my Sadec (20 yrs old !) but I think the thermostat only works on 240v. I have also heard that higher amp elements are available for the chimneys ??
FollowupID: 1664

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00
Collin,dont know about thermostat in your sadec ,but in a chescold it regulates on all 3 power sources,, ours _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 10.14 amps on 240 /10 amps when not using fan ,,,,7.14 amps on 12volt ,,7 amps without fan,, acording to power usage factory label it should be the 10amp on 240 and 10 amp on 12volt ,,as for gas usage i do not have the equipment to measure exactly ,,label states 2.75kpa with consumption of 1.1mj ,,,,can see gas flame lower when turning thermostat down ,,,,Axel
FollowupID: 1672

Reply By: Geoff - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

THANK YOU to all for your advice and replys on chescold it is all top shelf.
MAL you have wet my appetite on fuel cells? can you or any other forum user provide any more info please
AnswerID: 3921

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Geoff, that was very much tongue in cheek! However, they are the power plant of the future. The hydrogen is striped from gas leaving carbon dioxide. the hydrogen is then combined with oxygen out of the atmosphere producing electricity and the only emission is pure water. There are experemental vehicles running at the moment. Western Australia has begun negotiations to buy fuel cell powered buses. BP (which they say stands for 'beyond petroleum' ) is tooling up to produce hydrogen. Regards, Mal Try.
FollowupID: 1667

Reply By: Mick - Saturday, Jun 01, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 01, 2002 at 00:00
Having read the responses on this interesting subject I have realised why my Finch works so much better than other peoples I talk to. I run it in a Prado and the easiest place to put it is beside the vent outlet near the back door. When the air con is on there is a steady flow of cool air coming from that vent to the outside - hence there is a flow of cool air over the back of the fridge. It works brilliantly - far better than others who often say 12 v only maintains cool - but I always thought I was just the lucky one who got "a good one". Now it is all clear to me!! My advice is therefore - placement in the vehicle is of major importance!
AnswerID: 3958

Sponsored Links