Is it a good deal?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 16:57
ThreadID: 12041 Views:1950 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I found the following deal:

NISSAN PATROL GQ, LWB, 1988, flat roof, 5spd diesel, winch, fully serviced, HD suspension, dual battery, 115,000km, 14,500$

It is a import from Japan, ex-road-assistant vehicle, which was standing around a lot for a while (thus the low kms). It is fully serviced and running fine now (has RWC).

Obviously that is a higher price than the redbook suggests ($7,600 - $10,500) but the condition it seems to be in is great and low kms is nice too.

My Question:

I am not a mechanic so is this car worth or did the time standing around do a lot of damage to it and e.g. the engine will fall apart soon or so?

Thanks for your help,

Reisender
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:20

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:20
Mate,
Sounds like a ripper to me. Have a look underneath to see any visible damage to underbody components from off road work etc. Maybe get the engine checked over by a mechanic for compression etc. Check for rust along bottom of rear cargo area windows etc.
But if you're in the market for a good strong 4x4, it'd be okay I reckon.

Good luck,
Roachie
AnswerID: 54201

Follow Up By: reisender - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:34

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:34
Hi Roachie,

So do you think it is only the price or do you think the car/engine is rotten deep inside?

Cheers,
Reisender
FollowupID: 315868

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:48

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:48
Mate,
At that price, it wouldn't want to be rotten inside the motor or anywhere else. I must admit, if it was me, I'd be trying to beat him down a bit on the price.....maybe do some homework using redbook or ad's in Trading Post or other sales magazines etc and confront him with the reality of what a vehicle that age is worth. If it has been a one-owner since coming into Aus, you'd be checking it's service history. Where has it been living all these years??? Near the coast?? RUST??
Being a diesel, it has a very long life span still ahead of it I would think. It may need de-coking if it's done a lot of idling etc. I'd probably recommend one of those liquid treatments that were the subject of a POST on this forum a few days ago.
The addition of a turbo would also be worthwhile in my opinion.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 315875

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:48

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:48
Mate,
At that price, it wouldn't want to be rotten inside the motor or anywhere else. I must admit, if it was me, I'd be trying to beat him down a bit on the price.....maybe do some homework using redbook or ad's in Trading Post or other sales magazines etc and confront him with the reality of what a vehicle that age is worth. If it has been a one-owner since coming into Aus, you'd be checking it's service history. Where has it been living all these years??? Near the coast?? RUST??
Being a diesel, it has a very long life span still ahead of it I would think. It may need de-coking if it's done a lot of idling etc. I'd probably recommend one of those liquid treatments that were the subject of a POST on this forum a few days ago.
The addition of a turbo would also be worthwhile in my opinion.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 315876

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:49

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:49
sorry, dunno how I doubled up on that one???????
FollowupID: 315877

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 18:01

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 18:01
bit pricy for it's age but k's are good. Have it checked by your local auto club & try to beat him down as Roachie said. As long as it had regular services the sitting around won't have hurt it.
AnswerID: 54215

Follow Up By: reisender - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 18:44

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 18:44
Yeah I thought too that the price is far too high (4000$ over redbook) althought it has half KMs of most cars at that age. Is the turbo really needed - doesnt it have enough power? Would the turbo also make the car more fuel efficient or more thrusty?

Cheers,
Reisender
FollowupID: 315882

Follow Up By: Roachie - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 20:21

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 20:21
Reisender,
I had a 1993 RX GQ Patrol before I got my current GU. The RX was a standard diesel and after having had a petrol Maverick before that, it was like someone had forgotten to pull up the anchor when I drove the RX. Whacked a turbo, snorkel and 3" exhaust on it almost straight away and it was like a different truck altogether. Economy didn't change so long as I kept my right boot in check.
Roachie
FollowupID: 315895

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:32

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:32
You would be nuts to pay them $ for an 88 model.

read previous posts on imports, dont believe the klms to start with. in a few yrs time when you go to sell it you will get sod all being an import to start with...

YMMV..
AnswerID: 54266

Follow Up By: reisender - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 22:29

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 22:29
Thx mate :)
FollowupID: 315933

Reply By: chenj3 - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 22:20
Do NOT trust the mileage.

I inspected a imported Landcruiser with 125,000KMs on the clock before Chrismas and discovered that the log book and auction sheet stated 245,000Kms in Japan. The mileage on the imported Japan 4WD is always manipulated either in Japan or in Australia. you can import your dream car at half price
try http://www.j-cars.com

I would NOT buy a diesel 4wd without factory Turbo. You will know what I mean if you drive diesel in high altitude (mountain) area.
AnswerID: 54282

Follow Up By: reisender - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 22:30

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 22:30
Thanks for the warning...I will check for something else. Did you mean any diesel without turbo will have problems in high altitude or only the none factory turbos?
FollowupID: 315936

Reply By: chenj3 - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 15:39

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 15:39
reisender,
without Turbo, the diesel engine is powerless and will be running like a dog. Due to the high altitude in mountain area, the oxgen in the air is much thinner so that the diesel will NOT able to burn effectively and over-heating is not uncommon. you may also want to know the Turbo will kicks in as low as 1800 RPM and gives you the max. torque and power around that RPM.

Why factory Turbo? aftermarket Turbo normally will ruin your warranty for a new car and gives you more grief as time goes on. People are scared off by your aftermarket Trubo when you want to re-sell your non-factory Trubo. A lot of aftermarket Turbo cost you $3000+ and the possibility of breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

I have been looking a imported Landcruiser HJ61 model from Japan. They all have factory turbo by Toyota, very low mileage, PTO winch and other goodie.

AnswerID: 54384

Follow Up By: reisender - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 16:01

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 16:01
Hmmm...but doesnt the turbo have the same problem...I mean it does compress the air but also with lower ratio than on low altitude? Btw. do you know if the 3 litre petrol for the Patrol (1991) is strong enough and does it go easier with the fuel consumption than the 4.2 litre petrol?
FollowupID: 316026

Follow Up By: chenj3 - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 16:22

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 16:22
The way Turbo diesel works is to compress more air into each burning cycle and the diesel can be fully combusted with sufficient oxgen. non-Turbo diesel will not burn completely at normal compression ratio at high alttude and normally result more black smoke. I saw one Landcruiser non-Trubo in Rover Park (4wd park) emitting a cloud of black smoke and struggling to cope with the 4wd track.

Sorry, I do NOT drive Nissan petrol Patrol. The only experience I had was driving non-Turbo diesel Patrol ( called Safari in Japan) and it ran like a dog.

Rule of thumb, all petrol 4WD are thirsty and around 5.0~7.0 kilometers per liter while Diesel can do 7~10 KMs/Lt.
FollowupID: 316029

Reply By: shortgq - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:28

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:28
reisender,
don't pay more than $11k for an imported 88 Patrol diesel, I have been through what you are going through, looking at imports and spoken to many ppl and dealers. They can land them here for around $8k after quarantine, cleanup etc etc. $3k is a damn good profit for them. Some yards in WA don't have to offer a warranty either. All the ones I had a look at appeared to have rust along the seem at the firewall inside the engine bay, don't ask me why. The 4.2 Diesel imho is a great motor, although have not had any expereince at altitude, i currently drive a gq 4.2 and am happy with it. Truckster is right about resale in the future, don't expect to get top dollar for jap import if you want to sell it on. The jap imports have great extras on them as u can see and don't forget 24 volts, so makes it hard if u want to run a dual battery set up in the future, not impossible but means u will have to put batteries in the cabin, which has other problems. there is also a little device u can purchase which will allow u to run 12 volt accessories w/out causing problems to the 24volt system. i think REDARC sell it. Most other stuff about them is covered in the other posts.. good luck!
AnswerID: 54455

Follow Up By: shortgq - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:50

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:50
Forgot to mention, as Roachie said, i don't thnk the motor would be rotten inside, jap imports don't generally do a lot of km's but they do idle for long time (thats not neccesarily a bad thing). Speedo winding was a big thing with the jap imports previously, but there has been a crack down on that and its such a big industry now, there is a gov't website, can't remember the address, but it explains previous problems and what they are doing to try and combat. definately pay to have someone to a pre purchase check for peace of mind.
FollowupID: 316126

Sponsored Links