Kia Sorento

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:16
ThreadID: 12053 Views:5487 Replies:7 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I'll keeptrying this, because sooner or later someone (other than flappan, who had a SENSIBLE contribution) who actually knows something about the Kia Sorento will contribute something.

How do they perform? They seem to offer a lot for the money. Are they useful off-road ( I don't expect them to perform like a Patrol or Cruiser)?

Any serious feedback would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:22

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:22
Jim,
Not first-hand knowledge, but I do know someone who is a traditional cruiser owner, (current 100 series). Spent two weeks last year on a long trip with the cruiser, a patrol and a Sorento. They were surprised how well it drove loaded, and went everywhere the two larger vehicles went, (admittedly, no hard-core stuff). Was even considering purchasing one. Just what they told me, hope this helps
Rolande
AnswerID: 54261

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:33

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:33
THANKYOU
FollowupID: 315916

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:45

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:45
Jimbo,
for all of our sakes on the forum, please stay away from personal attack. We try to help, we provide an opinion, nothing more, nothing less, your post below is in direct opositioon to your previous post about not getting any help, what more can we do?????
Rolande
FollowupID: 315972

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:29

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:29
Do a site search....there is a forumite, GaryInOz, who drives a Kia and has fitted 31 inch wheels to it. He came along on the EO Little Desert Trip at the beginning of March and went just about everywhere the bigger vehicles went. That was before the upgrade to the larger tyres. Haven't seen him on the forum for a while though........
AnswerID: 54264

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:34

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:34
Again, Thankyou
FollowupID: 315917

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 23:14

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 23:14
G'day Willem, yes I'm still around. Some of us have to work for a living.....

I have a Sportage though, not a Sorento.

I haven't heard much about Sorento's so far, apart from what you already know (ie suspension rates, front end travel, shockers, etc.), however I did see one at the motor show that was modified with larger tyres and a spring lift which seemed to look like it would have overcome most of the shortcomings.

Try here for some international opinions.

The Mitsubishi drivetrain (shared by the Terracan) was used in the last series of Pajeros (with chassis) and is pretty well sorted. The Terracan has a bit of an advantage in that you can now get a turbodiesel version but it also has worse front wheel travel than the Sorento.

Do us all a favour and go int a Kia dealer (or as many of them as possible and ask for "The turbodiesel version of the Sorento, like they have overseas"... :-) (I want one as my next "little project")

....and Willem, the 31's are sweet!!! Got out of the vehicle the first time and, ummm, missed the ground. Landed on my hands and knees..........
FollowupID: 315944

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:26

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:26
Hi Gary,

Good to hear you are still around. I wasn't sure of which Kia you had but I remembered it looked like a nice little car and I gave you some spurious advice as to fitting the 31's :-) How did you go with the front wheels...did you have to make body modifications?

Regards
FollowupID: 315965

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:37

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:37
Just a little nip and tuck near the firewall and it was done, no dramas.
FollowupID: 315983

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:51

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:51
I have read GARYINOZ's previous ravings and wouldn't ask him how to tie my shoes.
AnswerID: 54272

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 23:23

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 23:23
Well, I guess I should have scrolled down a little further........

Thank you.................................
FollowupID: 315945

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:23

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:23
Well Jimbo,

You ask for help and when someone gives an answer you bag them.
Not nice.
FollowupID: 315963

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:47

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 09:47
GARYINOZ,
Please don't give JIMBO'S above post any credit by posting against, thought he was reasonable until I read the follow-up to your post. Will ignore in future if attitude does not improve
Rolande
FollowupID: 315973

Reply By: chrisfrd - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 23:02

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 23:02
G'day Jimbo.

I had a drive of one about 7 months ago, up to the top of mount Cooree in the ACT.

The truck was very well behaved. If you want mechanical similarities, think of the Pathfinder or a lowered Hilux.

Everything that we did to the bastard and it kept coming back for more. The rear suspension really works overtime to keep the thing moving. It could do with a better rear diff, but it was generally capable of doing anything that we asked of it. I wouldn't give it 10 out of 10, but it's a bloody good little truck for softer stuff - It did things better than the Pajero, but not as good as the old Prado. Probably better than the new one though.

The only sore point was the fuel economy, or lack there of. It drank worse than Roothy after accompaning his "handbrake" to a church tea party!

My 3 ton ZD-30 Patrol used 20L of diesel to go up to the top plus run around in the snow for a few hours, the little Sorrento used 33L of Petrol to do the same. But then again, it only had 2400K's on the clock at the time, so it wasn't really broken in yet.

A Patrol Biggot, I'd buy one for a town car with aspirations to do a little light stuff with it, but with the independent front end, I'd think that the modifications market could do something to improve it's ride-height and such, I reckon you could do some serious 4x4ing in it!

Chris.

AnswerID: 54293

Follow Up By: flappan - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:16

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:16
A mate of mine also drove his Sorrento up Mt Corree. His only real problem was the HT tyres on the vehicle.

Of course if your aren't a local it means not a lot, but its a good little tester to sort out 4wds from softroaders.
FollowupID: 316152

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:10

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:10
We actually drove a rented X-Trail up Mt Coree without damage, but I wouldn't recommend it! I agree with Flappan that it is the sort of track that shows why you need low range and decent underbody protection for many fire trails.
FollowupID: 316158

Reply By: Jimbo - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 18:31

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 18:31
Garyinoz,

Please accept my apologies. I had your name confused with someone else (after my post of a few days ago on the same subject, and had become somewhat tired of uninformed drivel) when I posted the reply, no excuse but sorry all the same.

Thanks for your comments, they are well received.

Regards,

Jim.
AnswerID: 54404

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 18:35

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 18:35
Also please note the time of my response, it was prior to Gary's most useful feedback, as I said it was a case of mistaken identity.

Jim.
FollowupID: 316043

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 18:38

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 18:38
No probs, I can guess who the barbs were directed at......

If only we could all claim our vehicles as a tax deduction.
FollowupID: 316044

Follow Up By: Jimbo - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:12

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:12
And he still raves inanely. See my query on Terracan today. What is the need to continually deride others for the sake of your own ego? I don't understand. Maybe he has too much money and too much time on his hands.

Jim.
FollowupID: 316110

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:15

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 22:15
We can all claim or cars as tax deductions if we choose too, and if you cant, its because you choose not too..

Would appear Jimbo would like a pat on the back for looking at a new car, and not any advice one what to look for, before buying something that isnt quite common yet, that would explain his "other" threads.....
FollowupID: 316113

Reply By: John.N - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 06:35

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 06:35
Hi Jimbo
I have had Troopers (Jackaroos) since 1991 and have posted on this forum on that subject from time to time. Unfortunately, Isuzu apathy and dealer unhelpfulness caused me to switch loyalties. After much research and test driving of Toyotas, Terracans and Cherokees I settled on the Kia Sorento. I took delivery in December last year and so far I am immensely impressed. My 4x4's have to work hard here in the UK as well as on trips to the continent and through the alps and up the Dolomites with very heavy German caravan loaded for a month. Mine is the diesel 2.5crdi with full time 4wheel drive. Rather than me go on at length about this superb car, take look at these two sites: www.sorentoforum.com
and www.sorentoweb.cjb.net. The second site is in Spanish but if you go to "enlaces" (links) you can find some superb Sorento offroad action. The first site has a section from Oz.

Good Hunting
John
AnswerID: 54466

Reply By: Member - Des - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:27

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:27
Sorento is a great looking car and very well priced. It also got a four-star crash test rating, which is unusual in a 4WD, especially a traditional one with separate chassis etc.

There have been some positive comments on the Sorento in 4x4 Australia and Australian 4WD Monthly magazines. It made the finals of 4WDOTY in both mags last year. The main complaint was about the ride and handling on gravel roads and forestry tracks. I suspect that $2,000 or so on decent tyres and new suspension would do wonders. The Sorento is so keenly priced that you would still come out well ahead on buying one of its rivals (Pathfinder, Challenger, XL-7, etc).

On the subject of the Sorento's suspension, see this thread at Australian 4WD Monthly forum.

I hope Kia brings the diesel here! Lots of positives about it in overseas reviews, and would provide good economy.

One disadvantage of Sorento is that (like other models that don't sell in great numbers) it might be some time before there are many accessories available. For example, I suspect you would struggle to find a snorkel for it.

Might also be a doubt about its retained values. (Looking at it the other way, it could be a great buy 2nd hand in the next couple of years!)
AnswerID: 54507

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 08:06

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 08:06
You want to be careful mentioning no accesories, and resale value, he takes offence at that.....8-)))))))))
FollowupID: 316313

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:38

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:38
Well, retained values are anyone's guess. But even if they are not great, it might not matter if you are going to keep the car long term.

As for accessories, you could get some idea from what is available overseas. It is hard to predict - for example, for a long time there were no production snorkels for the Pathfinder (don't know whether that is rectified now) when they were available for cars that sold a lot less, like Suzuki Grand Vitaras. Probably depends on the manufacturers' perception of how many of the cars are going to be used off-road. If Sorento develops a cult following amongst off-roaders, the manufacturers will respond!!
FollowupID: 316319

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:46

Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:46
Long term may be a solution, I agree, but like explorers, jeep cherokee's and some other korean cars now, if its out of warranty, worth 10-12k, and needs 6-8k spent on it for an engine or auto rebuild or similar, where do you go then? you can spend the money and fix it, sure, but its value doesnt go up, and if you dont fix it, whats it worth then?

Or, if after 2-3 years you decide the setaing position is no good, or you have had enough of warranty issues, or you dont like the vehicle because it wont tow your new van, and you have to offload it early, you still lose.

These are all things you need to weigh up on top of just purchase price.

And even if obscure vehicles get a cult following, it still takes a long time for that accesory to become available, again, just something to be aware of.
FollowupID: 316320

Sponsored Links