Birdsville Track

Submitted: Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:47
ThreadID: 12095 Views:2155 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I intend to drive the Birdsville Track in early May with a well maintained 98 Prado (100,000Km) and camper trailer. I do not intend to venture off the track, just an overnoght stay at Mungarannie. I have little experience in true 4WDs but lots of bush driving experience. My research has been extensive but a little confusing because of what appears to be conflicting information. My questions are. 1. Do I need all the spare parts the books talk about for a trip such as this? I appreciate the wisdom in carrying spares but have never needed these spares in thirty years of bush driving. 2.Should I be towing a trailer down the track? 3. Do I need a permit? How good/bad is the track at the moment for the novice?

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pesty - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:02

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 10:02
Wayne
I have just travelled the track both ways and it is in good graded condition. No problem towing the trailer, cover your back window with cardboard to stop it getting broken with stones bouncing off the trailer.
No permits required. You should always carry the basics of spare hoses, belts, 2 spare wheels for forby and trailer, water, and tools to do the basics of repairs for the parts you are carrying as the inconveience of having to wait for parts to be transported could spoil your holiday. Dont forget to stay with Ruth at birdsville c/park for the best in hospitality and local knowledge. Enjoy your holiday.

Cheers Steve
AnswerID: 54494

Follow Up By: Waynes - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 13:01

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 13:01
Steve,
Thanks very much for your advice. It is in line with what I have thought.
Thanks
Wayne
FollowupID: 316167

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:09

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:09
The Birdsville track is usually suitable for 2wd We last travelled from maree to birdsville in a hq panelvan which blew a diff seal near mulka station stuffing the diff but we were able to get a new diff delivered to us by that night for $120 showing it is not the remote torture test it once was. The trip back (the hq only made it as far as stonehenge) was in a l/c troopy which took about 7hrs and was steady and uneventful
AnswerID: 54504

Follow Up By: Waynes - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 13:03

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 13:03
Davoe,
You have confirmed what most books tell me. Thanks

Wayne
FollowupID: 316168

Sponsored Links