Power supply fault to engel fridge

Submitted: Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 19:45
ThreadID: 12117 Views:7726 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I need urgent help on this..

I have just been lent an Engel fridge, pretty old and not real big, no specs on it at all.

Does anyone know if they regulate themselves in regards to power draw. The fridge will not run on 12 volt through either the cigeratte lighter or accessory plugs I have in my vehicle. My main access plug is rated at 25 amps. if I connect an accessory plug direct to the battery and plug in the fridge it works ok. The plugs have power and there is definatelty power going through the lead as circuit tester works fine. I have not got a multi meter handy to see how much power is actually going through. When fridge is plugged into the accessory plugs, when turned on the fridge light goes on briefly then switches off as if it wants to go but won't. I am guessing it is a power draw problem, how much power does the fridge need??

Thanx
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 19:54

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 19:54
Short GQ,
I still have the same issue with the "end" on my connection wire, I'm sure it has something to do with the fuse. I bought a new end and my fridge works fine again. I don't know what the problem is as yet I still can't find the problem. I changed the connection from a ciggy lighter end to another design end because I had too the 4X4 centre installed this shorter one instead of the standard ciggy lighter, it looks the same but it's shorter I don't know the name of it. Anyway, I have the same problem so I will be interested to see the responces you get. It's got something to do with the fuse I'm convinced of that, it's a fancy fuse that costs about $25 so be wary of that. I haven't bought another fuse as yet I just haven't got round to it.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 54585

Follow Up By: shortgq - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:16

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:16
Martyn,
I am wondering if the accessory plugs are too short as you mention, I have a 'female' plug with two aligator clips, when it is plugged into that, and the clamps direct to the battery it works fine, that's why i thought it must have something to do with the current draw. it's annoying, i got 24 hrs to fix or i go away with an esky, d'oh!!

cheers anyway..
FollowupID: 316253

Reply By: AK - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:38

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:38
ShortGQ
Couple of suggestions
1 you may have a bad connection ( loose, rusty etc ) in the original wiring, this is where you realy need a multi meter to test as a circuit tester can not confirm the presence of voltage drop in a circuit. The more fuses and connections in a curcuit the more voltage drop and the more places for things to go wrong. In hind sight spend the $20 on a multi meter for the next trip you will be surprised how much you will use it.

2 Check how well the male end fits into the female socket. If it is not a tight fit correct electrical is not made. This is some time caused by it being to short. ( no jokes please )

3 Check everywhere for corrosion on both sockets
4 Ensure the key is switched on turned on( is it a constant or switched active ?)

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 54600

Reply By: AK - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:38

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:38
ShortGQ
Couple of suggestions
1 you may have a bad connection ( loose, rusty etc ) in the original wiring, this is where you realy need a multi meter to test as a circuit tester can not confirm the presence of voltage drop in a circuit. The more fuses and connections in a curcuit the more voltage drop and the more places for things to go wrong. In hind sight spend the $20 on a multi meter for the next trip you will be surprised how much you will use it.

2 Check how well the male end fits into the female socket. If it is not a tight fit correct electrical is not made. This is some time caused by it being to short. ( no jokes please )

3 Check everywhere for corrosion on both sockets
4 Ensure the key is switched on turned on( is it a constant or switched active ?)

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 54601

Follow Up By: shortgq - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:57

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:57
AK,

Cheers mate, I have the wiring all out now, all connections are new, it appears it might be a switch in the line or the female plug, but I am slowly getting there. I wish we had 24hr shopping available here, i would love a multi meter right now!

thanks
FollowupID: 316263

Reply By: Ralph2 - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:47

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:47
Hi, I had a prob once and it turned out that the gauge of wire to the out let couldnt carry the required amps, something about it heating up. perhaps check if the wires leading to the out let get hot. good luck
AnswerID: 54604

Follow Up By: shortgq - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:58

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:58
Cheers Ralph2,

No worries with the wiring, i made sure of that in the beginning, thanx anyway..
FollowupID: 316264

Reply By: shortgq - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:07

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:07
I appeared to have solved this one. Bl**dy electrical systems can do your head in!!
It was the socket!! I don't know why, it fits in ok, appears deep enough, when plugged in, lead will power a circuit tester (small current I know), but not the fridge. I have temporarily wired my aligator clip socket to the end of the wiring and it works. Why these plugs aren't standardised, blows me away.

Anyway thankyou forumites for prompt responses.

Kimberley here I come, just hurry up and open the GRR.
AnswerID: 54608

Reply By: Glenn D - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:13

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:13
Hi shortgq ,
I just got an engel and it is reputed to draw less amps than a headlight so I bet its not you wiring thats leting you down. Also fuses either blow or not they dont go high resistance . Hope this helps .
Glenn.
AnswerID: 54610

Follow Up By: shortgq - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:30

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:30
Thanx Glenn D,
It turned out to be the socket, just putting it all back together now, do you have the specs for your fridge? Can you tell me how many amps it's supposed to draw and what size fuse recommended in line?

Thanx
FollowupID: 316274

Follow Up By: Glenn D - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 22:49

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 22:49
15A inline fuse 12V 10A fuse24v. Sorry no specs on current draw. Something of interest may be wire core diameter. Less thn 6m = 2.2 mm squared (AWG #14 ). 6 to 10m =3.3mm squared ( AWG 12 ). Thats distance from battery to fridge . I just used 4mm no probs.I have Engel 40 lt
FollowupID: 316292

Follow Up By: shortgq - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 22:55

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 22:55
Thanks for that, i used 4mm also.

Cheers
FollowupID: 316293

Sponsored Links