camper trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1216 Views:2075 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guy and Gals,
Just finished modifying a 6*4 camper trailer with kitchen, water storage and gas bottle holders, have also extended the draw bar for a tool box and jerry can holders and boat rack above, but have come to a bit of a dilema on which way to go with lighting, and battery support. Plan to stay at some caravan parks but also intend on going bush were no 240v is available, has anyone got any suggestions or ideas.
Probably going solo for a week at a time in some places.
Towing vehicle is a Nissan Patrol GQ short wheel base on gas so have limited space in the engine bay for a second battery and space is a valuable asset.

Regards

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00
G'day, I would consider mounting a deep cycle battery in the trailer for running lights etc while away from 240v, and connect it through the trailer plug so it recharges from the alternator while you're driving. I'm not sure what circuit would be best for connecting the battery to, but I've run accessories off the sidelight/taillight circuit before now without ill effects. Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 3871

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Jason, I had the same problem prior to a 3 month trip up North. As I have a Chescold 3 way fridge I simply installed a deep cycle battery with plugs throughout the trailer. I found that using it only for lighting and using two twin tube 12 volt fluoros it would last at least three weeks without charging. For charging I would get a powered site every couple of weeks and charge it up with the battery charger I have allready. It was suggested that a wire direct to the live wire of the trailer plug would also do it, but, someone suggested that you could cook the wire if your main battery was a little down on charge and your vehicle tried to start of the auxilary battery in your trailer. It got too complicated for me at that stage so I went KISS (Keep it simple stupid). Good luck.
AnswerID: 3872

Follow Up By: Jason - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00
Steve,
Thanks for the great feedback, l think this is for me as no modifications to the vehicle are necessary and it is relatively easy to put together.
l like your theory.

Regards

Jason
FollowupID: 1659

Reply By: Nigel - Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00

Inside our camper trailer we have a set of 3 LEDs on the highest point that provide sufficent light inside and use very little power.

There is another set outside near the kitchen, but we use a bushlite fluoro when cooking as it can be hung higher and provides a better light. We turn the fluoro off once the meal is finished and make do with the LEDs

The set of 3 LEDs provides about 30 candlepower (candela) which is not really enough to read by, but sufficient for most things.

If charging a battery from the vehicle it's far more efficient to use heavy cable and a dedicated 50 amp plug to avoid voltage loss. Using the standard trailer plug will not give as much charge as a low loss plug like an Anderson plug.

If you get a deep cycle it's best to charge it up well before a trip rather than relying on the vehicle to charge it. It's still very handy to have it connected to the vehicle but deep cycles also benefit for a slow charge (approx 10 amps) from a 240v charger when possible.
AnswerID: 3881

Follow Up By: Ray - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Hi,

I like your idea on the LEDs, I've just looked at the highest output LED in a dark room and they are great considering the low current draw. I'll be doing the same as you have for general low light needs and run a 12v fluro for other needs. They will definitely be the new future in lighting.

Ray
FollowupID: 1656

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00
Nigel,we love the idea of the LEDs,,can you post some more info as to purchase cost and availability ect,,, axel
FollowupID: 1753

Reply By: Member - Sam - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Jason, Rotronics make a Dual Battery unit that can be supplied with a wiring harness for 2nd batteries fitted to trailers and caravans. (from memory the harness makes use of the Anderson plug mentioned earlier) should this method be an option, check out www.rotronics.com.au. cheers,Sam.
AnswerID: 3892

Reply By: Axel +Karen - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Just recently had same sort of delima ,no room for 2nd battery under bonnet,,our solution was have shortend one drawer in storage drawers and 2nd battery in case mounted there, controled charge by Rotronics ,then mounted 3rd battery in case inside trailer, wired to 2nd battery thru ex large 7pin ,[as used on semis] , normal 5 core wire to female socket + 2 heavy gauge +,-, from 2nd bat ,same deal on plug,,voltage drop 1st to 2nd is nil and 2nd to 3rd is 1/10th of a volt,,,,,hope this gives you some ideas you can use,,Axel.
AnswerID: 3897

Reply By: Jason - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks everyone for responding,
You've all had some good idea's which has given me food for thought.

Regards

Jason
AnswerID: 3902

Reply By: Craig - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Jason , It is still posible to fit a 2nd battery in your engine bay, usualy 2nd battery in petol GQ is fitted near the firewall ,However like myself in My GQ the LPG converter sits in this location, I have fitted a Battery bracket that suits a diesel ,fits next to your radiator overflow bottle, you only have to relocate your coil assy . which was simple by reversing the bracket the coil sits on. All the best with any of the options you choose to use Regards Craig.
AnswerID: 3903

Sponsored Links