Land cruiser -- hot engine bay

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 16:32
ThreadID: 12160 Views:2924 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1985 cruiser with a 3F motor.
The temperature gauge normally runs at about 1/4 of the scale
But ,
the engine bay is always hot , i think too hot , but do not know if this is normal
The gauge does not move if the car is idling etc.
The car is a petrol automatic and on long trips the gear change housing and the shift stick inside the car can get hot , sometimes to hot to have your leg constantly in contact , sometimes it does not get hot ???? . I am told this is the hot air from the engine bay passing through.
The transmission temperature light does not come on , it does at ignition ( so it must work ).
I feel the bay should be cooler , but what is the standard.
If I put the aircon on and direct air to the gear shift it cools down
Has anyone else had this problem and can it be fixed

Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:19

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:19
Rod E B,
A friend of mine had a 78 cruiser diesel that would just about let you fry eggs on the passengers side cab floor, but the temperature gauge never got above half way. I remember one trip up the Cape where i had to place 3 doubled over sack bags on the floor to get a bit of relief. Is there a heat deflector around the manifold and under the passengers side floor. They are the only suggestions i can think of.
Cheers
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 54825

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 18:43

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 18:43
I have a 100series cruiser with turbo diesel, and intercooler and it gets very hot in the engine compartment. At times the front guards are also hot...very hot. But I have had it thoroughly checked out and all is ok. The temp guage sits somewhere between the 1/4 and 1/2 depending on how hard I am going.
I think it MAY have something to do with the intercooler position as it almost blocks off 1/2 the front grill area. Initially I was very concerned about the excessively high heat but now that I have had 'expert' opinion and driven it for many 1000's of k's without any issues I am now considering it 'normal' for my vehicle.
AnswerID: 54842

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:33

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:33
Rod. The early Tray & Troopy Cruisers did have a heat problem to do with the poor ventilation under the bonnat. Many had batteries blow up from the heat. To fix I've seen spacers fitted under the bonnat hinges to let the hot air out near the windscreen or plastic vents fitted into the bonnat. I think Toyota fixed it on later models by fitting vents to either gaurd. Craig..........
AnswerID: 54864

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:27

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:27
The problem with spacers on the hinges occurs when you have a front end crash. the bonnet aims directly at your head then... Seen photos at our club of this having happened on an MQ/MK..

You also lose your water tight compartment if watercrossings are your thing.

YMMV
FollowupID: 316567

Reply By: thomo - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:41

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:41
Hi rod
I had a 90 model troopy with the 3f and it was fairly hot under the bonnet,So hot in fact a mate and i used to reheat steak sandwiches in foil on the inlet manifold when we went fishing.
AnswerID: 54887

Sponsored Links