Help with kitchen design

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 06:53
ThreadID: 12175 Views:2322 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We chose to leave the standard kitchen off our camper as we wanted to design one that suited our needs best. I am hoping that others with experience may have some suggestions as to things to keep in mind. We have some ideas but don't discount the experiences of others. We have seen the Drifter range but still want to design our own.

I have seen the past discussions re: slides etc. This is more about functionality and design.

Design will be a slide out.

Any suggestions or tips that we should keep in mind when desiging the kitchen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:12

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:12
Bundy

One thing we opted for in ours was a stainless steel top. A bit more expensive but very easy to clean and no probs with the dreaded rust.

Cheers
AnswerID: 54915

Follow Up By: Bundy - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:09

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:09
Thanks Rosco.

Stainless sounds like a great idea...and probably worth the extra $ to start with.

Bundy
FollowupID: 316677

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:04

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:04
this is from a yahoo group
campertrailers

but some people are trialing some slides from a furniture making group

www.hettich.com.
AnswerID: 54918

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:53

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:53
Bundy, www.hafele.com.au, they have a slide system that is 1524mm in length with 160kg weight capacity ideal for a kitchen, i made my own and it is 75 kg and 1200mm long slide out, the sliders are $481 + GST, a bit pricey but strong and reliable.

Baz.
FollowupID: 316605

Follow Up By: Bundy - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:23

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:23
Thanks toonfish and bazza.

I have been following the drawer slides threads.

Cheers

Bundy
FollowupID: 316957

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:25

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:25
What do you like? what dont you like? what sort of things to you want/dont you want..

bit more info would be handy...
AnswerID: 54922

Follow Up By: Bundy - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:13

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:13
Truckster

I have been following a few different threads, mainly re: slides etc. I am after suggestions on what works/doesn't work.

I am thinking I'd like a gas stove on the outward end that is covered by a benchtop when not in use. Storage drawers then for cutlery, cups etc, and then for the bits and pieces.

I am hoping the experiences of others may help me to design 'the perfect kitchen'.

I am not too keen on having the w/up bowl a permanent fixture, preferring bench space to prepare and then sit the w/up bowl on. There never seems to be enough bench space, especially with a 6yo and 20m/old.

Bundy
FollowupID: 316678

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:58

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 12:58
What sort of tailgate do you have ?
Why a slide out ?

We have a swing gate on ours and a kitchen that is bolted to it. Add some removable shelves (like the Drifta ones) and things are sweet.

AnswerID: 54954

Follow Up By: Bundy - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:15

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:15
I believed that a slide out will give us a (longer) kitchen, not restricted by the width of the t/gate.

How do you find your kitchen...what does it store, how many drawers/cupboards eetc. What would you change?

What are the removeable shelves that Drifter have...I haven't seen them!

Bundy
FollowupID: 316679

Follow Up By: flappan - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:26

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:26
http://www.drifta.com.au/product.htm

The DSO (near the bottom) is what I'm referring to.

I'm in the process of building another kitchen unit. My first was as a trail.

I'm going for a combination of the Drifta kitchen , but with fold down doors , instead of the lift off shelf. My shelf will be a fold over shelf that covers the Stove whilst travelling , so the stove doesn't have to move.

I keep all the cutlery , and plates cups etc. The new one will also hold a lot of the smaller dry foods. Spices , coffee tea etc.

When I shift the stove , it will allow a lot of the Billies etc to be stored. The only thing that wont fit is the large Frypan , and camp oven.

As for size , we have a 7ft awning. When the tailgate is opened , and the shelf flipped open it will take up most if not all of the 7ft. A slide out wouldn't provide any more room , unless it was a flash one ilke the L shaped Drifta.
FollowupID: 316790

Follow Up By: Bundy - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:25

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:25
Thanks flappan

I think we are on similar wavelengths.

We are thinking that we would not have any cupboards but drawers...similar to modern kitchens where plates and all are stored in drawers not cupboards. I am happy to sit the wash up bowl on some of our bench tops rather than sacrifice benchtop space for a bowl.

I am hoping to also have a storage drawer set next to the slide out Kitchen for food stocks etc.

Cheers

Bundy
FollowupID: 316959

Reply By: GaryW - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:38

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:38
Bundy,

We have an Aussieswag. Kitchen design suits us fine. Its essentially divided into 4. From left it goes as follows:
Fold out bench top (Folds over s/s sink). Then the sink which includes a drainer to the left. 2 Burner Stove which includes grill/toaster. (would prefer 4 burner but we manage ok with 2). Then folder over bench (folds over stove). Under the stove is a cutlery draw. Under the sink is a storage compartment - this could be better designed but it fits most of our plates etc.. does not fit kettle or saucepan.

We like the electric water pump with rubber button in front of the sink.

The best feature is the slide out then swing around function. The kitchen slides out of the front rhs of the camper (looking from back) then swings round and attaches to the side of the camper. Much better for leaving room to walk around to fridge etc..

There are some photos on their website here. I guess you are committed to coming out of the back rather than side but it might provide some inspiration.

Regards Gaz
AnswerID: 54987

Follow Up By: GaryW - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:39

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:39
Website link is www.aussieswag.com.au
FollowupID: 316689

Follow Up By: Bundy - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:27

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:27
Gaz

Thanks for your comments and the link.

I have been able to add a few more ideas to those I had already gathered.

Cheers

Bundy
FollowupID: 316960

Reply By: Member - Allan - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:46

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:46
Bundy, I am currently building up my own kitchen in my new home built camper trailer. This is my second camper trailer and I’ll start with the shortfalls I had with the first camper.
- The gas cooker looked very pretty being all stainless steel but it was held together with self-tapping screws. It fell apart on the GRR and then the gas line cracked when there was nothing supporting the burner.
- It was difficult to clean around the cooker if anything boiled over.
- The ‘el-cheapo’ cooker I had for a spare was a high pressure job and prone to blockages when camping in sand.
- The sink was too small to be useful (apart from washing a cup – waste of space).
- Insufficient storage space to organise utensils & cutlery properly.
- Limited bench space.
- Trailer could not be used for anything else.
THINGS I’M DOING FOR NEW CAMPER.
- Removable camper top so trailer can still be used for the other 330 days of the year.
- Kitchen is mounted on the swing-out tailgate with liftout pins for fast removal and able to locate kitchen elsewhere (or if you want to use trailer for other purposes).
- Gas cooker is low pressure (I ended up using the cheap cast iron type twin burner bolted to kitchen frame (discarded legs – may look ‘agricultural’ but rugged & simple).
- Left clear space under burner to store large plastic sink while travelling. (It will be easy to clean under burners if I boil anything over).
- Fold out cover over burners extends length of bench space (and acts as wind break when vertical – if needed).
- Sturdy towel rail which acts as a guard to prevent loose items in trailer damaging burner knobs.
- Plastic sink supported in ‘pull-out’ frame at end of kitchen.
STILL TO WORK OUT
How to efficiently store cutlery & utensils (I’ll probably end up using plastic trays)
AnswerID: 55246

Sponsored Links