Alpine diesel

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 16:50
ThreadID: 12192 Views:6804 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just wondering since the cooler weather is comming and I will do a couple of snow trips if it's essential to use Alpine Diesel. I never knew there was such a thing til recently when I saw the servo at Bonnie Doon advertising it. What makes it different from normal diesel ? What happens if don't fill up with alpine diesel and go to the snow does it coagulate/freeze?

TIA....Leroy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: floyd - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 18:03

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 18:03
Alpine diesel has an additive that stopsdiesel freezing. Not sure exactly what it is. I live at Merrijig and run it from now until November to stop freezing. Remember if you are in an area that is subject to frost then you should run Alpine fuel for most of the year. Everyone around the Mansfield area runs it most of teh year. You don't just need it while in the snow resorts. I have seen diesels freeze at low altitudes after a cold night.

Most servos in Mansfield carry Alpine fuel all year as a cold snap can happen any time. On Boxing Day 2 years ago we had about 2 feet of snow at Buller and about 25 diesels had to get towed out. Doesn't just happen during winter.

I have had a diesel freeze at Mt Buller in winter and the only fix is a tow down to a warm place where you will need to pump out the fuel line and bleed injectors. Can be expensive. Dont get caught.

AnswerID: 54992

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 18:46

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 18:46
Yes Floyd, have heard about low level of service to diesels and a fair level of diesel in the sump oil where the sump has frozen too at temperatures above freezing point!

It is the level of wax present in the diesel that also may clog the filters too if the crystals of wax are large enough to interrupt the flow. I had understood even in areas away from Alpine areas there was a different summer to winter diesel on wax lavels alone.
FollowupID: 316699

Follow Up By: Member - Fay D Away (Vic) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:26

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:26
Hi all
can you use alpine fuel in hot weather?
Do you have to drain it or dilute it with normal?

Bill
FollowupID: 316748

Follow Up By: rooooboy - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:26

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:26
I live In Melbourne, And am thinking of going to MT Buller, If i Fill my tank at Home full of diesel, then top up at mansfield with approx 25 - 30lts apline diesel would that be enough?

Can you buy the additive and add it yourself to a full tank of diesel?
FollowupID: 319736

Follow Up By: floyd - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:42

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:42
Better off leaving Melbourne with only half a tank and filling completely up with Alpine here. That way you get the best concentration of anti freeze agent in the fuel and it wont be too diluted.

I am not actually sure of the additive so I dont know if you can add it yourself. I have heard that some people add a few different things into their tank so it may pay to ask the question on the forum about what works. Sorry I just dont know.
FollowupID: 319738

Reply By: Member - KG (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 19:47

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 19:47
is there alpine petrol?
AnswerID: 55006

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:12

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:12
KG,
No, the freezing point of petrol is considerably lower, petrol is a light fuel, Diesel is a heavy fuel, petrol comes off a lot higher up the distillation column. The only thing to watch with petrol is getting snow / water in the fuel filler when filling with fuel. In the UK many years ago I got water in the fuel tank, it was pumped to the fuel filter where it was filtered out so it never got to the engine, but one cold night the fuel filter froze, the filter split, when the fuel filter defrosted the following day I wondered what the bad smell of petrol was caused by, soon found out when I stuck my head under the vehicle. Hope this answers your question.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 316746

Reply By: ianmc - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:29

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:29
Doesnt a small amount of petrol in the diesel keep it fluid in winter or is it just a cleaning agent???
AnswerID: 55055

Reply By: jhetland - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:47

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:47
One thing you can do, if it gets cold enough for you, is to do like the guys in the picture about half way down this page:

Images of Soviet Union

"In Siberia, these truck engines have fires lit underneath them all night and day to prevent engine parts from busting open. The tempature here is around - 45 degress C. (circa 1980s) "

Jo
AnswerID: 55096

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 17:04

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 17:04
Ah yes Canadian way - fit block heaters etc ,
Russian way - set fire to it....

Reminds me of the scandinavian speedway bikes with the spiked tyres, they have to heat the engines with a gas torch for about 10 minutes just to get em to run !!
FollowupID: 316865

Sponsored Links