To buy or not to buy - 75 or 80 series?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1222 Views:2287 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
Firstly, thanks for the help I have recieved from many of you in previous posts. If anyone is willing, would you share your experineces of owning a diesel 75 and/or 80 series cruiser (ie; problems, advantages etc). I'm still looking to buy and have found it very hard to separate these two models. I'm looking to use the truck for getting around, driving long distance both on and offroad, weekend 4wding/camping, and towing a small boat when the fish are biting. Please dont answer this post if your intention is to start a flame war.
Cheers,
Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00
I'm sure you'll get some invaluable information from other forum users, but you may also find it worthwhile to read the "buying used" features on both 75 and 80 series in past 4WD Monthly's (if you haven't already).
AnswerID: 3885

Follow Up By: Chris - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Cheers Nigel,
I forgot to add that I have read both those articles and am still finding it hard to make a decision.
Chris.
FollowupID: 1655

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Chris, I've owned a 60 series and now own a 78 series. I've also used lots of 80 series. I believe the two vehicles are built for different purposes. The 78 series has coils on the front instead of leaf springs. The 75 series is a commercial vehicle, and rides and behaves as such. It has "acres" of room inside, and is tough as nails. They make an ideal outback tourer. The 80 series has 4 coils, fairly awesome wheel articulation, and a much softer ride and nicer interior. However, it is a family wagon with less room. I chose the 78 series for the room and outback touring. It depends on what you want the vehicle for.
AnswerID: 3886

Reply By: ray - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Chris, I've owned a 75 series for 12 years now and the thing is bullet-proof, been round alot of oz, and a lot of commuter work. It's only done 260k kms still orig. engine, 2 sets of glow plugs, injectors serviced once or twice, new top radiator tank(it is a Landcruiser after all), new front bearings once, I've grossed nearly 6 tonnes up over the mountains hauling bricks lots, thing starts, stops(2 sets of front pads) rides like a truck, doesn't like going over 100ks, but refuses to die. I'd buy a brand new 78 series, but I can't believe it could be as tough as my 75.
Cheers RAY.
AnswerID: 3891

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Chris, I agree with Ray, I too have a 12y old series 75, do alot of offroad travelling,tow a boat (20'),have used it to cart wood,steel,junk,concrete,bikes etc basically anything that will fit in the back. 200k still going strong but its a commercial vehicle and it drives like one. I've heavier than standard suspension and "pizza cutter" wheels and mine too doesn't like going over 100ks ( but then again nor does the driver, a little longer to get somewhere doesn't make that much difference). Regular services and its basically bullet proof. Its basically leaf vs coil, for me it was leaf.
Rob
AnswerID: 3894

Reply By: Goran - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Chris , here it goes . It all depends what your requirements are . 75 series is tough, no nonsense vehicle with owesome load carying ability . Same goes for available space . It is very hard to fault these vehicles . Main difference between the 75 and 80 series (apart from obvius , wagon versus tray back etc) is ride quality and offroad ability . 75 is built to carry considerable load , straight out of show room . If you get 80 first thing on your shoping list should be decent set of aftermarket coils and shocks , as the factory ones are a joke. They sag very , very quickly.
That said , once upgraded with better coils 80 will provide dream ride over rough roads , comparing to 75 (or any other leaf sprung vehicle). 80 will go further off road , due to tremendous wheel articulation and very good ( better than most) gearing . 80 also has better gearbox , and stronger CV joints . Look at it this way , if i was to be a support vehicle on a 4x4 tour it would be 75 . If i was to travel Cannings with my kids 80 will be all i would choose. Wichever way you go you wont make a mistake .
Cheers
Goran
AnswerID: 3908

Reply By: Paul - Wednesday, May 29, 2002 at 00:00

Chris, My 1994 75 series (4.2 ltr Diesel) has done 206,000km without a hitch. Apart from meticulous servicing: I replaced the original shockies last month, the steering damper 3 mths ago, an indicator globe and am on the 3rd set of tyres. Nothing else. I do use a fuel additive which has kept the injectors clean and the motor still sounds fresh. It has had mainly bitumen work but have had many weekend trips into rugged country but wouldn't say it's had a particularly hard life. The 4.2 is quite happy cruising at 110-120kph but suffers a bit at times (sand hills)without a turbo. I looked around and decided on the Troopy because with the full length drawers, we can fit a double bed on top and sleep out of the weather if needed. The amount of gear we can pack is almost limitless.
AnswerID: 3909

Follow Up By: Ross - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
Paul, we have just gone through the same process for the last month or so, deciding on a vehicle for a year long tour with a family of 4 (2 kids). I dont mind a bit of discomfort when driving along (I remember driving old landrovers in the 70's and they were fairly hard going at times). The clincher for us was actually test driving some second hand 70 series vehicles and then comparing them to 80 series of the same vintage. It was cetainly easier to drive an 80 series around town when manouvering, parking etc. On the open road I suspect it doesnt matter, except when the road is rough and the coil springs onthe 80 series may start to prove their value. On the 70 series side, the space is really amazing behind the seats, and the idea of not having to take a roof rack was tempting. In short, test drive as many as you can under many circumstances. Good luck.
FollowupID: 1662

Reply By: Ross- Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Sorry, the above reply should have been addressed to Chris. Regards, Ross
AnswerID: 3916

Follow Up By: Chris - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

G'day all. Just wanna say thanks for all the extremely helpful advice everyone has given. Sounds like both are absolutely magnificent vehicles! It's been great to hear what you blokes have to say, and I can say that I'm probably more leaning towards the 80 now given my needs. But as you say Ross, I'll need to drive as many in as many conditions as possible, and then make the final decision.
Cheers,
Chris.
FollowupID: 1665

Reply By: Member - Allyn - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
I went through the same dilemna myself Chris and bought an 80 Series 2 years ago. I STILL couldn't tell you if I made the right decision when I see my mates in their 75's but I do LOVE my 80 Series and know that they often have the same indecision when seeing mine in action. In the end it was a comfort thing and a decision that I don't regret. Good Luck
AnswerID: 4405

Sponsored Links