ISDN Special this month

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 08:37
ThreadID: 12244 Views:1376 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Had a call from telstra, informing me of a discount on ISDN connection for the month of april . Most rural areas can now be connected.

Check it out

http://www.telstra.com.au/smallbusinesssolutions/isdn_2cost.htm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: phil - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:53

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:53
In many rural areas Telstra is "upgrading" the customer loop by installing devices called SCAD's. These limit dial up connection speed to 26kbps. The only way to get a decent dial up speed is then to get ISDN which provides 2 telephone ports which will allow the full speed of a 56k modem. If you are keener, and it is supported by your ISP you can go the full ISDN digital connection which guarantees 64k or 128k.

One warning. The ISDN boxes supplied are apparently very prone to lightning damage according to a Telstra expert I talked to and if damaged you may have no telephone for many days.
Phil
AnswerID: 55288

Reply By: William - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:46

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:46
I have just finished helping a pensioner couple with the Telstra so called this month special on ISDN.
Man it is bloody fraud of the worst sort, as they tell you nothing about all the other charges involved. Your local calls are timed, you pay through the a** if you go over 30 minutes. On the brochure Telstra have sent out, it is only 40% of the story. Whatever you do, make damn sure Telstra give you in writing exactly what you are up for. I suggest you do not take that offer unless you are fully informed in writing of all the facts and charges. I spoke to 5 different operators who all gave me a different story.
AnswerID: 55296

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:57

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:57
Hi Peecee, I have looked again at the rates since Williams comment above here and my bill since we upgraded last month. There is no doubt there is a real advantage in the upgrade, but you do end up downloading a lot more than you did previously. You can do a cost comparison at the addy below and I am not sure much of what William is referring to is correct. My comparison is homeline though as distinct to small business as yours is pitched.

http://www.telstra.com.au/phones/homeservices/plans_homeline_plus.htm

For the identical charges you alse get a few extra service free like calling number display and much clearer lines too. I don't expect William is having to worry too much about 19,200kb connection speeds either that a lot of country areas regard as the standard ans if you are lucky 31,200. I can even connect at a 60% faster speed to my old provider through a laptop modem which is usually only obtainable close to an exchange in the city on dial up lines.
AnswerID: 55339

Reply By: Glenno - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:29

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:29
Check out the Onramp Home Highway rather than standard Onramp 2 ISDN product. The billing is much more favourable.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 55943

Sponsored Links