I think I found my car...

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 16:07
ThreadID: 12260 Views:1884 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have found a 1993 turbo diesel surf, with all the electric bells and whistles,as well as bull bar, fog lights and bigger tires. It's an auto, with 91,000k's on the clock. I can pick it up for$10,500. Is this a decent buy?
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TuffLux (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:26

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:26
Hi Wally
It will pay to do your homework on surfs. Do a search on them in the forum and you should find a fair bit of info. Check out post 12177 from a couple of days ago.

I understand the 2.4TD EFI have a tendancy to crack heads and there are several other problems that seem to be common. Whilst that does sound like a good price for a comfy fairly capable fourby, just look into them as much as possible.

Good Luck!

Brad
AnswerID: 55348

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:43

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:43
Spot on TuffLux, the 2.4's and 3.0's tend to have more than their fair share of cracked heads, mainly due to the fact that the radiator and fan are different being designed for cooler climates. People don't understand that you need to keep your cooling system in perefect condtion, if you do, no problems, but even a 15% blocked radiator can cause it to get hot on steep hills on 35c day. This in itself is not a drama but people aren't so smart when it comes to modern day engines. Alloy heads and blocks are a little different to the ol' HQ Kinga. With these alloy engines it's simple. If it gets hot,it's bad. Not oh, yeah she cooled down as soon as I got over the hill no worries, let's keep doing it every day on the way to work!! If it's running hot, at anytime there is something that needs fixing or adjusting, don't just "she'll be right mate". I've got a mate that overheats his kingswood every time he goes through mcdonalds to get his breakfast, the peice of crap has got 450,000kms on it and it still goes strong, the 2.4 engine is not going to put up with running hot. Cooling systems are not real complicated and you'll find mountains of info and the two sites I posted regarding solving any overheating problems you have for minimal $$$.
FollowupID: 317151

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:30

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:30
Sounds like a 2.4L, they are a good truck, not as powerful as the later 3.0l, but spend the money and get the best most in depth mechanical check you can buy, pay special attention to cooling the system, look out for corrosion around all the hoses to and from the motor, and make sure that the previous owner/owners have always run good coolant in it. Get it compression tested, check for oil leaks (should be done as part of any "good" vehicle apprasisal (spelling?). Also check to make sure that it has had regular oil changes, prefferably every 5000kms. If all checks out, you'll have yourself a vehicle that will cruise the highways like a road car and do it hard when you need it to off road. Basically anything you would do if you were going to throw 10k at any vehicle. The only difference is that diesel motors will cost you a lot more to fix if it shts it'self totally.
Also read these two sites: Surf Owners Site and Hilux Surfing as they are full of brilliant information, pictures and isntructions to do almost anything to your new surf. As well as do's and do nots, forums and everything.
AnswerID: 55351

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:33

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 17:33
Top reply Jeff
FollowupID: 317146

Reply By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 23:53

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 23:53
Who knows what Kms is done been a import , get it checked out
AnswerID: 55419

Reply By: REXY - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 07:42

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 07:42
Walley,
Here is my responce to "sparkies" question regarding surfs from a few days ago i hope this might be of hlep

regards

rexy

Sparkie,
I currently own a 93 2.4 t/d smurf mobile now with 175k i bouthgt it with 80k on the clock. i have done a fair bit of work to it (just the usual suspects) to get it ready for offroad use. A s you mnight or might not have noticed the standard surf suspension is serioulsy not up to the drill. i had a 40mm sag in the ass end. a quick tirp to ARB in darwin and a new set of OME's all round fixed that. another problem is fuel ecconomy. out of the standard tank i was only getting aprox 430km out of 70 ltrs (oook that might have somthing to do with i went from owning a v6 ute yo the surf) so another trip to ARB and now i got 200 ltrs.
OOOOOOOkkkkkkkk...........now mecanical stuff: (problems i have had)

Cracked pedal assembly
Master cyclinder / slave cylinder and clutch
Fly wheel destroying itself and in the process taking out my new clutch ( more on that to follow)
new radiator
And now ive got at least 2 oil leaks comming from around my turbo
oh yeah and how could i for get my idler and pitman arm

Ok back to the fly wheel. the fly wheel on most (?) surf has spring in the guts of it. when these let go its pretty spectacular to see what is left in the bottom of the bell housing (read a handful of crap) that little lesson cost my $1900 in parts and labour

On the possitve side
ive kept up with 80's/100's St/Dx pajeros and the like on just about everything around the nowra area where i live. the only thing that has sotpped me usually are the lack of a locker. the indi front end dosnt lend itself to wheel travel but after scaring the hell out of myself once or twice i have learnt the point at wich the wheels will come off the ground .

The 2.4 is an Ok engine provided you dont want to go tear assing up any hills bigger than a speed bump and i have no dramas towing my dads ski boat (1200 kg on the trailer). speaking from experience i would stay away from them but it is my first truck and if nothing else i have learnt a hell of a lot about working on diesls from it . But i have to be totally honest with you mate, as soon as i get the money im jumping the fence for either a 100's or a patrol

If you want anymore info mate e-mail me at lee.hunt2@defence.gov.au

Have agood one

Rexy
FollowUp 1 of 2 posted 19 Apr 2004 at 10:31 - (FollowupID: 316614)
REXY posted this followup

for got to add. NRMA will insure them but only for MARKET VALUE no agreed. and most of the parts i have had to replace are never surf stuff its either rolux or 4 runner

rexy

AnswerID: 55446

Sponsored Links