Ford explorer 4x4 problem

Submitted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1229 Views:13045 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys. Regarding my question i asked earlier about my Ford Explorer's four wheel drive problem, it is the American built explorer Model 1997 XLT UN. I have only had it 2 months and the only real problem so far is the lower ball joints are worn which are being fixed as we speak, and the 4x4 system clunking and jolting the car upon turnning the wheel any direction past about 1/4 lock. It wont do i in a straight line and it still does it going backwards. I have nothing against the cars i think its great so far, and yes, im an Aussie. Im just trying to get some opinion on what it may be , not how crap the car might be because its not Aussie made. Anyone with any ideas please help. Thanks in Advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas_E - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
Jason .... Ignore the moron element. They're just after attention and probably don't realise that they are infringing a federal telecommunications law. Anyway, it does sound like CVs. My neighbour has the same Explorer model as yours and he did get the CVs replaced, under a used car warranty. It exhibited the same symptoms as your car. You say you have had it for two months. If it was purchased at a dealership, then there may be warranty coverage on it.
AnswerID: 3927

Reply By: Trev - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hello Jason,
It sounds (sorry about the pun) more like the CVs.
Ours is a 99 and besides the battery which was my fault and a factory recall for something it's been great. Mr Ford gave us a new set of tyres after I had bought a new set and complined about the original ones but I did keep the old ones. They certainly came in handy. We have two extra tanks fitted to increase the range without carrying fuel in cans. We've changed nothing else.
We did the Simpson last year and with the tryes at 20 psi finally just left it in "D" for dune. It was great in the sand.
It was amazing just how many Exploers there were out there.
We used to drive a diesel Maverick so I have been on both sides of the fence and each vehicle has its advantages and disadvantages. (I sold the Maverick and arrived home in a Fairmont having neglected to tell the Cook this was happening. She cried for 4 weeks and didn't talk to me for 6. Now I think about it I just might do that again. Ahhhhhh the silence) This one, the wife likes it so therefore it must be good. After I had had the Explorer a couple of weeks I took it out into a wet grassy paddock (my own) and flogged it around to come to grips with the AWD.
When you are in Drive and the back wheels start to rotate a bit faster than the front the driver can feel and hear a bit of a shudder as the central coupling locks up. To overcome this just flick the switch to 4WD.
Have fun. It will get you there and back and you can enjoy the gearbox from France (I think), the motor from Germany nd the new tyres from Chile.Don't even think about replacing the spark plugs which you will need to do twice a lifetime.
Trev
PS The Simpson consumption was 14 litres per 100 km.
AnswerID: 3929

Reply By: Axel +Karen - Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00
Jason ,your XLT is same model as ours ,we have had NIL problems with it ,i think you will find that some components are canadian , the clunking noise is bound to be the cv joints or a component near said joints ,,have you tried using the 4x4 switch in all the modes ,as if noises only in auto 4x4 box may need service ,,,,, as far as the sledging /slagging goes about buying a ford explorer // good / bad , the ford explorer is the biggest selling 4x4 in the world, out sells toyota,nissan ect, to some small minded people this simple fact is so far beyond their comprehension that they have to deride your judgement on what to spend your $ . anyway, enough of the high horse , can only say that we enjoy our explorer more than we have our previous 4x4s and find it more than capable of OUR needs.
AnswerID: 3945

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
Biggest seling 4x4 in the world , maybe but it is the bigest piece of crap ever to enter this country with two diffs . If you have gone for this vehicle because of this much publicised fact , you are a bloody idiot .
Did you ever ask yourself why did Explorer suffered such debacle in OZ ?
What are the sales figures here in OZ on your beloved American stalion ?
If you beleive all this American bull than you deserve your car. I hope you had changed your tyres .
FollowupID: 1694

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
To Mick,,at least a man is not totaly biased as you seem to be , Jason bought a vehicle that he likes, where the hell do you come from that gives you the right to deride his decision , many hundreds of people follow this forum ,many contribute with good and encouraging advise ,some very lively differences of opinion ,but none as derogatory and negative as you , TAKE A BOW ,Mick the king know all of 4x4.
FollowupID: 1702

Follow Up By: Axel +karen - Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 06, 2002 at 00:00
Mick ,just so your tiny mind may get some perspective , new 4x4 station wagons sold australia wide for Febuary this year, Toyota landcruiser 903 units ,Ford Explorer 297 units ,,,not bad for a vehicle you claim to be the worst ever to be sold.
FollowupID: 1716

Sponsored Links