does a prado have clearance for snow chains?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:09
ThreadID: 12297 Views:4006 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
This would seem an unusual oversight for toyota to make. I have read it here but wondered if anyone had any more details?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: floyd - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:20

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:20
A prado should have clearance for snow chains. Almost all standard 2WD cars have enough. The Prado is rated as a mid range 4WD so one would assume that their is enough clearance around the wheel as it has to travel a fair way while off road. I live in the Mts and drive the Buller road daily and from experience I have only had to fit chains on my 4WD vehicle on 1 occasion in the last 10 seasons and that was voluntarily and not after being directed to. I have used the chains more in mud off road than while in the snow. In the NSW mountains 4WD vehicles dont even need to carry them at all. In Victoria there is some debate currently by the relevant bodies about 4WD vehicles needing them at all too. I reckon that they will keep them as compulsary due to the large amount of "Soft Roaders" and little sedan type 4WD vehicles and the unsuitable tyres that they have as standard equipment. I have seen many cars like WRX and Honda CRV etc... soft roaders have a heap of trouble while trying to drive up on ice. They have needed chains.
AnswerID: 55538

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:46

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 18:46
Keith, I dont know which model you have, and what size tyre, but the 120 would be marginal at best in the front, and the 90 the same.

But if you post to the email lists at www.lcool.org on the 90 series or 120 series lists, some people there may have run chains on a prado, and give you a difinative answer.

I run 285's on my 90 series prado, and chains would never fit.
AnswerID: 55545

Reply By: maverick - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 19:04

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 19:04
if you try and run your hand around the inside of the latest prado (have no idea what model number it is) there is no way snow chains will fit on the front wheels. they may fit on the back wheels. there is also a possible problem with the brakes when fitting snow chains on the latest prado - having said this there is no doubt people who have fitted anchor chains around the wheels on their prado - the only way to be +ve is to journey to a garage (or whatever) that hires them and try them on for size. make sure you can actually turn the wheel all the way and that the brakes work and the chains will not foul on anything. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55547

Reply By: Thommo - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 20:57

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 20:57
Keith,
In the owners manual, it says (series 90) that you must not fit snow chains on front.
I look at this in the back yard on an RV6 with a set of heavy duty mud/snow chains and agree. they do fit on the rear.
I cannot comment on the fitting for the larger tyre sized GXL etc. Now that I am in WA, I sold my chains.

Thommo
AnswerID: 55573

Follow Up By: Keith Scott - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:23

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:23
Is there a simple modification to allow the fitment of snow chains, ie wheel spacers? How do people in canada fare with this model then?
FollowupID: 317480

Follow Up By: floyd - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:22

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:22
Lived in Canada for 5 winters (Inland BC) and travelled extensively in Europe. I only saw snow chains once the whole time in Canada and once in Austria. The answer is Canadians, Northern Europeans and people who have to do a lot of driving (daily) in the snow have a set of Winter tyres that they put on for as long as the snow lasts usually about 4 months per year. Snow chains are not compulsory in any American state, Canadian province or European country that I visited.

If they only fit on the rear use them there. No rule that says that they must go on the front. When going uphill they grip better if they are on teh back wheels anyway. If you must put them on the front get the springs or tortion bars lifted up.
FollowupID: 317504

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:36

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:36
G'day Floyed,

You failed to mention that in Canada the law required you to "winterise" your car! I think that this is the same in most parts of USA where protracted winters and snow-falls are common.

For most people, you needed two sets of tyres (tires!) or to have MS tyres fitted all year around.

Chris.
FollowupID: 317505

Reply By: tessa_51 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:05

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:05
We spent a winter in the north of England and never saw chains despite some heavy snow falls. The locals had never even heard of them. I think they are simply another example of how over-regulated we are in our use of the roads.

Tessa
AnswerID: 55950

Sponsored Links