OT – Anzac Day

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 18:45
ThreadID: 12337 Views:1586 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just wanted to wish those members and visitors of the Forum for whom Anzac Day has an extra special significance a great day tomorrow. Anzac day has always been a special day for my family and my dad will be attending the dawn service and marching this year as he has done for the past 8 years in stead of his father who served in WW2.

For those of you who served in any of our armed forces [and those who still do] and who might be attending reunions, marches or just having a quiet one remembering mates…have a safe day and happy day.

Cheers

Lyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:09

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:09
Well said Lyn. I would like to echo these sentiments.

May this Anzac day be a safe and memorable one.

regards,
Sam.
AnswerID: 55774

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:43

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:43
Guys... If I may be so bold as to respond on behalf of the Veterans amongst us... Anzac Day litterally brings tears to my eyes... over 100,000 Aussies have died in wars in the last century and with the benifit of hindsight they gave their lives on foreign soil in an effort to keep australia free, maybe they were fighting, as I was, under the mistaken belief that the Vietnamese were going to overrun australia.. It all gets very political. I have seen so many of my fellow veterans die long after the war they fought and be virtually forgotten by the people who sent them to fight... a very sad situation. ANZAC day is special to me, as it is to most Veterans, but to me it means a day of very hightened emotions... and the thought of the waste and futility of the war I fought in. Tomorrow I will wear my medals with pride, even my Nasho's medal that looks like it was made in Tiawan, i will feel pride, anger & sorrow for all those touched by war. Lest We Forget
AnswerID: 55780

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:06

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:06
Thanks Rick for putting your life on the line for your country. We honour your service that has helped us live the life that we now have.

The politics is a separate issue - I wouldn't have a clue of the rights and wrongs on that one. To me, the politics is irrelevant as it wasn't anything to do with you blokes on the ground.....and that is who we honor today.

Andrew
FollowupID: 317689

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:40

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:40
Be bold Rick, you're not alone mate! Tears and heightened emotions are not only with the Veterans today.

I once saw a slogan "Fighting for peace is like bleeping for virginity" and at the time I thought it was right. I have since come to the realisation that there are times when we must indulge in the futility for the greater good. Let me thank you for your involvement and wish you and yours good fortune that you came back to remember it. Enjoy the day.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 317729

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:18

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:18
Sorry Lyn

I think you're just covering your bases here.

It's not a "happy day" .... nor should it be.

It's a day for NOT forgetting what it's all really about.
AnswerID: 55788

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:41

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:41
Hi Rosco
Thats a bit harsh on Lyn, EVERY day is a day for Not forgetting what it's all really about.
For years we went to an RSL service locally where after the service everyone enjoyed a few drinks, played two-up or crown & anchor, danced etc an generally had a happy day,afterall we do live in a changing world, the shops are open later & they play football in the afternoon.

"Lest We Forget"

Bernie
FollowupID: 317652

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:26

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:26
I think she meant "Happy Day" in the sense that my Grandmothers funeral was a "Happy Day". It was a time for crying and remembering and celebrating her life that had given 'birth' to a large and close knit family. Thanks Maaaaaaaaaaa for helping us remember.
Andrew
FollowupID: 317690

Follow Up By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:51

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 09:51
Hi Roscoe

I meant no disrespect at all by stating a happy day, and sorry if you thought so. I attended an Anzac day service today as I often do, and take time to think and reflect what it's all about..and give thanks to those who sacrificed so much in the past so that we enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today...and boy am I thankful and happy for those....

my grandfather lived til he was almost 90 years old, he attended every Anzac Day service after WW2, I asked him once, what he got out of it most...and he told me..on reflection of his service in the middle east...."It was a bastard place to be, and I saw some horrible things...but each year I get to have a drink and a chat with blokes I haven't seen since last year, and remember blokes that aren't here any more and I enjoy it, and give thanks .." - it was heartfelt and so was my post...and I apologise again if you think that I was merely covering bases.....and today in the small towns of Romsey/Lancefield there were a couple of hundred people standing around in the cold...and lots with small children...and we weren't forgetting either...

Lyn
FollowupID: 317691

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:46

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:46
Roscoe, go spend time with the diggers and returned servicemen and women at the RSL hall after the ceremonies and tell me they're not happy to be back together, catching up, and remembering fallen mates. We get from this life what we put into it, theres no need to needle.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317730

Reply By: Savvas - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:33

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:33
As well as remembering the fallen heroes of past conflicts and honouring those still with us, let's also spare a thought for those in the Australian forces that are currently deployed around the world.

No matter what political persuasion and views you may have, the members of the Australian Forces that are currently away from home need and deserve our support.

AnswerID: 55791

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:50

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:50
Hear Hear Savvas, I mentioned this today at the ANZAC service. Whatever reasons have been used to become involved in warfare/ peacekeeping, we should support our troops wherever they are.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317731

Sponsored Links