1HZ motor aftermarket filters

Submitted: Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1234 Views:2412 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Are aftermarket filters such as "Fleet Guard" OK, or should I stick with Toyota items. Has anyone heard of an oil filter adaptor that allows you to fit a Z9 filter to a 1HZ motor. I have seen pictures of it, but have concerns over the correct flow rate of oil back to the engine, and the potential damage that may occur.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian B - Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 31, 2002 at 00:00
Stan,

Have used Fleetguard for the past 4 years. I have been quite happy with them and they have never leaked (unlike Ryco).

I still consider the Toyota filter the best quality, but at double what i was paying for the Fleetguard, it wasn't worth it. I change filters everytime the oil is changed...why dirty fresh oil with a well used filter?.

I checked into the Z9 adapters some time ago. Don't do it!. The Z9 spec's are nothing like the proper filter. The Z9 would run in bypass mode most of the time and it has much less filter media. It would be the equivalent of having an oil filter with nothing inside it.

hth,

Ian B
AnswerID: 3942

Reply By: Billowaggi - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Stan After market filters are definately ok unless your vehicle is under warranty. I have used many brands over the years in my mechanical repair business with no comebacks. Iwould not contemplate the z9 conversion for your 1HZ. The proper filter is actually a dual element filter with full flow and by pass elements in the same canister I Cannot see how this can be converted to a Z9 type element. The best value after market filter at the moment is the Motorcraft AFL60 it is Australian made and is correct for your vehicle they retail for around $20 from Ford dealers, I buy them 10 at a time for fitment to Landcruisers and have had no problems. Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 3990

Reply By: Member - Allyn - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
Stan
I have recently fitted the Oil filter adaptor that permits use of a Z9 filter. The adaptor has it's own filter built in and the Z9 has bypass elements so I didn't see any problems associated. I will be eagerly awaiting any further repsonses that may show me the error in my ways and will instigate further investigations again as the consequences are obviously quite expensive. I am just about to complete my first service after fitment at a little over 5500 km's and feel that if service intervals are kept regular at 5000 km's then it should create no problems for me at all and be considerably cheaper. Again I will be revisiting my research though.
AnswerID: 4404

Sponsored Links