Anzac Day

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:48
ThreadID: 12340 Views:1449 Replies:11 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I have no wish to flog a dead horse, but I have noted ... with no small measure of sadness, that many forumites seem absorbed in organising their activities tomorrow around various activities.

My point being that many look upon it as no more than another long weekend.

That being the case, enjoy........ but spare a moment in thought for what it is all really about.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: navaraman - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:13

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:13
I tend to agree with you. In fact I believe that if Anzac Day falls on a weekend we shouldn't have a long weekend. Commerate the Anzacs on the 25th regardless of the day of the week and leave it at that. Making a long weekend out of it takes something away from it.
AnswerID: 55787

Follow Up By: GLD - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:32

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:32
navaraman

I agree entirely....ANZAC Day falls on a Sunday this year, so why should Monday be a public holiday?

If a person is working on Sunday and wishes to take part in a service, having Monday off work is not going to help him/her get to the service.

And regarding the original post, if a person doesn't attend ANZAC Day services, it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't respect and appreciate those who fought for our country.
FollowupID: 317639

Follow Up By: REXY - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:23

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 08:23
To let all us boys n girls in uniform recover from celbrating the day b4.....talking from experiance here guys lol

rexy
FollowupID: 317942

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:08

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:08
Hi Rosco
No public holiday in Victoria on Monday.
Anzac Day will always be a special day for most Aussie's regardless of any activities
that are happening on the day, and yes "WE Will REMEMBER THEM".

Lest We Forget

Bernie
AnswerID: 55797

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:30

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:30
Couldn't agree more. My two grandfathers served and were decorated at Galipoli, my father was POW in Changi and my mother served in the Navy during WWII. As I am becoming older the day is becoming more and more significant to me and I have just finished the last minute arrangements for our services here in Birdsville. I am so pleased to report there are lots of people in Birdsville who are here especially for the Service here in Birdsville. We have no 'returned' people here and are very proud that people choose to spend this most important day here with us. We are especially proud of the involvement of our school children - who have written poems, made posters, cooked Anzac biscuits, will present the Remembrance Prayer at the Service, will perform poems at the Morning Tea and who are trying to understand what it all means. One of the readings tomorrow will be this :
'On this Anzac Day we stand together with pride as Australians. Let us honour the sacrifice of Australian men and women who served their country in World War 1 and 11 and in the wars in Korea and Vietnam. They servedm suffered and were wounded for our sake. Some died for us. They dies in wartime so that we might live in peace. With this memory before us we take our pledge:
We remember the past. Make Australia much better today.'
AnswerID: 55801

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:54

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:54
Hi Ruth, ANZAC Day is a really emothional day (well I find it is anyway), but that reading you have written is so beautiful. There is no way I could stand up and read that out loud, I just wouldn't get through it. Even reading it on here has brought tears to the eyes. My dad was in the Korean War and passed away 19 months ago. I used to struggle with ANZAC Day when he was alive, but now I don't cope with it at all. I am really glad there are alot of people in Birdsville for the service. I had better go I am dripping tears on the key board........(Im a sook)
Lest We Forget
Karen
FollowupID: 317654

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:03

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:03
Geoff & Karen - see Follow-up below. I find it very emotional the older I become. My Mum at 78 led the Parade in Nebo this a.m. My Dad died at only 59 due to his experiences in Changi so I know how you are feeling today. Chin up.
FollowupID: 317718

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:24

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:24
Ahh you dont even have to be old Karen and Ruth, but what I have found is it makes it more important to oneself when you have kids of your own. As a scout I have taken part in many services over the years, only missing one or two in the past 36 years. I always understood the importance of remembering, and honouring the service and the sacrifice, not the warfare. Being blessed with children I am seeing more and more what these diggers fouught for, and not only that, what their legacy to us is. The Australian way of life is their gift to us, what we have now is a direct result of their efforts. This year I led part of the service and the honour of being involved at that level was not lost on me, more so as we sand and remembered I wondered if I would be able to to it without a tear in my eye. Its amazing to read the honour boards around the RSL and everywhere, and to take a minute to remember those who have an asterisk *died in action. Lest we forget.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 317727

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:52

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:52
I am so pleased to read what you have written here Bonz - Scouting is a way of life that is not as prevalent as it used to or should be. Well done on your achievement today.
FollowupID: 317762

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:40

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 21:40
hear, hear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
although many of us who have served remember at many different times those mates and others who paid a sacrifice, tomorrow is a day for the nation to remember....
may all remember in their own way,,,,,,,,,,,,,
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 55802

Follow Up By: Peter - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:17

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:17
Just been reading through all the posts.
I served in the Army for 22 years and it is great to see that people from all walks of life are now realising that Service people do play a part in the safety of this great country, for too long we were seen as a drain on taxes. Whenever I drive around the Outback I always appreciate that I can do so because of lot of Australians (and others) made the ultimate sacrifice.
Enjoy Anzac Day doing whatever makes you happy, just spare some time during the day to reflect on exactly what was happening on this day in 1915, and what our Service personnel have, and continue to do to this day so that we may have freedom of speech and freedom to travel where we want
Lest We Forget
FollowupID: 317670

Follow Up By: Slammin - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:41

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:41
Peter, I'm surprised to hear that the Armed Forces etc were seen as a drain on the taxes.

Maybe you meen some of the poltical decisions in regards to purchasing? In that case it still rings true, politicians are a huge drain.

Either way I certainly haven't come acroos it myself and I do know a large cross section of many varied communities.

I hope and feel that everyone will pause and reflect on the sacrifices made. No matter what they choose to do.

Congrats to those organising celebrations etc.
FollowupID: 317672

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:56

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 23:56
Fair enough Rosco
good one Ruth
I for one will be up bright and early for dawn service then off to the melbourne march with my grandfather from the 1 Army 2 New Gunieu force 112 light anti aircraft regiment will be a special day.

Always go every year most dawn services or mid morning depending on work and did my service years ago on cenotaph duties in central vic when i was a pussa .

will be funny doing the march with pop as a civvie

Lest We Forget
AnswerID: 55820

Reply By: Pluto - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 07:49

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 07:49
Rosco,

I feel your complaint is a little unfair. Considering this forum is intended to be used for the planning and preparation of trips, the nature of the discussions will always tend towards that subject and exclude other topics.

I, am disappointed that I am not able to attend my 4WD club's trip this weekend because a considerable amount of time and effort was put into preparing their own Dawn Service in the bush.

If you ask me, the members flogging the dead horse, are the ones complaining about who does and doesn't get a long weekend.
AnswerID: 55829

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 12:58

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 12:58
Not a complaint .... merely an observation. Vindicated this morning as I attended the dawn service at Cleveland (a bay side area S.E. of Brissie), and noted a steady stream of boaties on the way for a days fishing.

As I said ... whatever your activities, enjoy ... but spare a thought.
FollowupID: 317706

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:01

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:01
I always do even on remembrance day 11th hr 11th day 11th month so I think most Aussies do in their own way.
AnswerID: 55862

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:01

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:01
I am so proud this afternoon that I'm almost busting - we had the most wonderful day, even if it started (for me) at 4:30 a.m. and I'm very tired. Wonderful Dawn Service, great March and Service and when I finally stopped being busy and bossy and looked around the Hall at Morning tea there was over 100 people there - all mixing and having a great chinwag together.
The kids read their poems and then took them around the people to see the drawings they had done as well.
Geoff & Karen - that piece I put into the Post earlier about Anzac Day - one of the teachers showed me earlier in the week - it is part of suggested school activities from the Dept. of Education in Queensland. In fact I have been amazed at the information now being taught to children in schools about this day - it hasn't always been this way.
It was especially poignant for Birdsville - because most people don't know but we have an 85% Aboriginal population - and an Aboriginal lady read that piece at the parade - but out here, they consider themselves as Australians, which we all are.
AnswerID: 55863

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:22

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:22
Im glad you had a lovley morning Ruth, 4.30am is an early start but you would have got a lot of satisfaction out of it knowing you have done a wonderful job for Birdsville and the the many visitors you had there for the service today. I watched 5 mins of the march on TV but the tears were getting a bit much, so I found something else to do. Bit hard to watch TV with blurry eyes.............lol
I have copied that piece you put in the earlier post and kept it, it was so beautiful, hope you don't mind.
Well Ruth you will be off to bed early tonight I would think, and maybe we might actually get to meet you in July, we are thinking about doing the trip Andrew & Jenelle have just done, it will depend on work though.
But we will cross our fingers.
Karen
FollowupID: 317725

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:29

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:29
My daighter Imogen wore with pride Uncle Bert's medals today. Uncle Bert was killed in New Guinea. She got to wear them in the parade and carry the flag for the Brownies and she said simply "I wish I got to thank Uncle Bert" after the service.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 317728

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:55

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 18:55
Karen, I posted that piece because it is so wonderful, simple yet full of explanation. Use it please - it's not mine - but the Qld Dept of Ed!
Bonz - how proud you must have been today with Imogen - she will remember them.
FollowupID: 317763

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:34

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:34
Rosco, there's also been a fair bit of banter about dawn services abd the like on the forum, although as pointed out above, the trips away for the weekend would most likely include a small rememorial for the reason for a long weekend in states where ya lucky enough to get one. In a country where the queens birthday and an 8 hour day are reasons for time off, Anzac Day is far more deserving of some tim eoff to prompt reflection. Lest we forget.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 55865

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:21

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:21
Rosco,
Down south we had a dawn service in the rain, a march down the main street at 11.30am, yet my employer doesn't really care as long as I show for my 12 hours of fun today as public holiday's, for whatever reason, are inconsequential to him v's the almighty dollar, so we are required to attend for work. (went to the dawn service and left to front for work at 6.00am). Would be nice to spend the day as i would have wished, may-be next year.
Rolande
AnswerID: 55869

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:40

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 08:40
Rosco most years I go to the dawn sevice in our town and it makes you think about the hard ships on battle fronts past and present. The fellow that organizes the morning service got 3 fuzzy wuzzy angels to come and give a speech very well done and interesting.

Then had freinds around for a barby playing 2 up and all associated activitys.
The last went home at 12pm not bad started at 1pm.
Typing very slowly now.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 55956

Sponsored Links