Holden Jackeroo 3.0 TD

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 19:50
ThreadID: 12341 Views:4010 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a question for Bradley the Jackeroo expert and anybody else who can answer.
I have a 1999 TD Jackeroo which has just done 100000k.Bought S/H 3 months ago, has since had injector seals replaced.
On the left hand side of the engine just behind the oil dipstick is a hose about 2.5" in diameter with a braided outer. There is seepage of a black substance from this hose where it clamps. Where is this coming from?
I also noticed after returning from being away at Easter, stains on the A frame of my caravan. was easy to wash off and seemed more like fuel than oil. This was only on the return trip of about 400K. It also used slightly more fuel on the return trip than going down to Mt Barker WA.
14.7 L/100 going towing 17'6" caravan at about 90K/hr, 15.7 coming back, conditions were about the same. Any thoughts?

Regards KT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:00

Saturday, Apr 24, 2004 at 20:00
This is a new one... I have a 2002 T/D Jackeroo... I hope I dont have this to look forward to. This hose sounds like the air hose from the intercooler to the Throttle body...The black stuff can only be engine oil or you've had a meltdown and the hose is falling apart... As to your fuel usage I cant offer aconclusive explanation... I now use shell ULSD and I get an improvement of around 10% over the Woolies fuel I was using so Fuel quality could be a factor here if you filled up at your destination.
AnswerID: 55784

Reply By: The Banjo - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:07

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:07
I've had my model (same as yours) from new - 82 on the clock now.
No evidence of the two issues you mention (yet). I do most of the straight forward servicing on mine (technical issues are done by a good small business).
Because that weeping hose has turbo pressure while the engine is running suggests that there is oil in there looking for a way out....what travels through must be getting burnt. Needing to be frank, I would not go to a dealer.....all trust here has been completely removed to the core......get a qualified completely "independent" evaluation. Does not sound to me like a hose issue.
No comment re the stains.
Re economy...... if your van catches a lot of air (or is heavy) that economy might well be ok.
I get 12.7L/100km towing a HD offroad soft top camper trailer on the blacktop - around 95k/hr average. Worst is about 16L/100km in dune and rough type country (trailer still on). Let us know how you go.
AnswerID: 55864

Follow Up By: Kevint - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:44

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:44
Banjo,
Thanks for your response, I wasn't all that concerned about the fuel economy, the van is a17'6" tandem pop top and currently weighs about 1660 Kg so the economy while towing it I think is OK. The car tows it without any problem. For abot 400k local touring at Easter without van, 10.5 L/100 (26.6 mpg) overall towing and touring combined 12.5 L100

KT
FollowupID: 317850

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:14

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:14
Sounds like a loose intercooler charge air hose, as you remove the intercooler to service these rigs. is fairly normal for the jacks and rodeos to have a bit of oil ' sludge' inside the hosing from service overfill or filling too fast etc.. Probably just needs a new clamp.

If you have just brought this rig make sure they have filled it with the best quality oil you can afford in a 5w30 5w50 etc. and changed both oil filters. The oil is critical to the operation of the injector system in these vehicles , and it takes 3 or more oil changes to fully flush any 'bad' oil from the dual oil systems.

Good oil makes for easy starts and better running.

Thanks for the praise, not an expert just silly enough to work for holden for a fair while......
AnswerID: 55979

Follow Up By: Kevint - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 19:53

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 19:53
Bradley,

Thanks for your response, it ha sput my mind at ease somewhat. I was thinking nasty (and expensive) turbo problems.
I was aware of the need to use top quality and the right grade of oil and the reasons why. I think the Jacks are a great car but need a bit of TLC.
You say you are not an expert? but it is good to know that there is someone on the forum who has practical knowledge of these cars and is prepared to impart it to the less informed such as me. Thanks again!

Regards KT
FollowupID: 317897

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:53

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:53
Hey Kev. mate , i always reckon knowledge is there to be passed on, for the good of the masses.. I have no probs sharing any of the goo stuck in my little noggen, as for vehicles, as i don't intend to go back to working for a dealer in the future, so with any new models , i will be as blind as the next bloke ( apart from what i can work out myself). So hopefully forums like this will live on so that someone else can share the good oil. Happy travells with the jack..
FollowupID: 317966

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:24

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:24
Can double ease your mind. Mine has the oil in the hose too.
Apparently is normal, but not to be leaking out. My clamp is in v.g. condition, but I can see with a bit of use it may deteriorate and need replacing. Get a good one and the problem should be solved.

P.S. I too have a 1999 3.0 T/D Jack Manual. You are getting better economy than me. Mine Gets about 12.0 L/100km at best, travelling 80 km/h. Have got roof racks on though, shouldn't make that much difference though

D-Jack
AnswerID: 56173

Follow Up By: cmilton54 - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:05

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:05
Have 2002 3.0 Jackaroo done 23000 auto best fuel economy has been 21mpg at 110 on cruise. Towing 17.6feet poptop 1900kg about 17.5mpg at 90kg in overdrive on cruise or foot
Charlie
FollowupID: 318517

Sponsored Links