Fuel differences

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:25
ThreadID: 12355 Views:1456 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I noticed in recent posts that people have found up to 10% consumption differences for petrol purchased from various outlets. Has anyone noticed similar differences with diesel? If so, which one gave the best results - consumption, power, cleanliness, whatever criteria you've found a difference.
I can only buy Mobil fuel, but wonder if I should try something else when away from home.
Thanks
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil P - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:39

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 15:39
In a recent newspaper, Shell was fined for innacurate bowsers. This is probably why there are differences, if you think you are buying a 100 litres and instead are only getting 97 litres, this will make a difference !
AnswerID: 55866

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:39

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:39
Yeah that makes sense. Reminds me of when I put 94 litres in my Falcon wagon with an 80-litre tank that wasn't even empty!!
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

FollowupID: 317736

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:09

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:09
John,
Most stories I am aware of are about the octane rating of the fuel, especially the lead replacement sold by supermarket chains, ie, using normal ULP with an additive rather than higher octane. There was a story in the eastern states a while ago about "funny" diesel sold by independant outlets, where they were mixing products that did not attract duty with diesel and causing consumption problems etc. Many fuel outlets in Victoria now advertise "genuine" petrol and diesel sold here. Don't know if this will help you as the Shell outlets mentioned above probably had this sign as well
Rolande
AnswerID: 55867

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:48

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:48
Thanks rolande
I read somewhere that with diesel it's the cetane rating that's important, guess it's like the octane rating for petrol. My dad used to run 20% kerosene in his old diesel Cruiser - he said it used a lot less fuel that way. Then I found out he only counted the diesel not the kero!!

FollowupID: 317740

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:11

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:11
Local Shell by far gives me the best result in economy..

We have 4 mobil servos with about 2-3klms stretch on Cranbourne road.. All owned by one bloke apparently.

Never had much problem, but the shell was more $$ than the others, but does make a difference.

YMMV
AnswerID: 55868

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:42

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:42
My brother uses Shell on the farm. He says it has a higher detergent content than others and keeps the fuel system cleaner. Don't know if that's right or not, but he swears by Shell (or at them??)

FollowupID: 317737

Reply By: Alex Callaghan - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:33

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:33
I think you'll find that most servos get their fuel from independent supliers that will have diferent read outs on their fule analasis sheets. So the Mobil your fuling up at would be buying their fule from a different independent suplier than say my local Mobil where I fill up.At least thats how thing work here in Nrthern NSW. Talking to some Diesel enginers the other day when I was getting my injector pump rebuilt and they reacon these low and Ultra low sulfhate diesels that alot of Servos are using now are (more enviromentaly friendly) are stuffing up peoples diesel engines cause the engines seals diaphrams etc where built for a diesel with a higher sulfhur content. The sulfhate acts as a protectant.
They also said that generally the qaulity of diesel has droped alot within the last 5 years.

RE: Consuption rates from different servos......I know when I use the diesel from the liberty instead of the Mobil here I get more Km to the Ltr but my vehical runs rough, blows smoke and has a big loss in power and generally lags. All depends on the supliers of the servos I think.
AnswerID: 55870

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:45

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 16:45
Thanks for the info Alex. I don't know where the Oodnadatta fuel comes from, or how it compares to elsewhere.

FollowupID: 317738

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 19:45

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 19:45
I have noticed that Shell gives my T/D Jack a 10% boost. I was using woolworths diesel but when Coles started discounting I went there...The pumps are easy to check... just put in 10 litres and read what the $$$ display says eg if fuel is $1 a litre then 10 litres should be $10 exactly....I found one that was charging about 15% over and reported it and the servo was fined... dont know what they do in other states.. Woolworths still have not supplied a TDS for their fuel. My 2002 Jack is designed to run on ULSD which Shell is so I'm hoping the seals etc wont go hard.....
AnswerID: 55890

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 19:53

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 19:53
Rick,

It is not the price calculation, rather the actual litres you get in the tank that can be inaccurate. If you pay for 50 litres you should get 50 litres.

I will be watching out for those ones that do as you say though!!!!

Steven
FollowupID: 317771

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:24

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:24
There is a lot of fuel trading going on throughout Australia and it would be very difficult to know where your fuel came from. In QLD there is only BP and I think Caltex(used to be Ampol). For Shell and Mobil these two refiners supply fuel. In other states where there is no BP or Caltex the fuel is then supplied by the other refiners. To complicate things the fuel is now transported by independents Toll, Finemores etc there doesn't seem to be any company trucks anymore. Then you have the independents who buy fuel from anywhere they can get it. To know for certain where your fuel is coming from could be a bit difficult.

Then there is the independents who have been caught diluting their fuel with duty free tolulene.
AnswerID: 55901

Reply By: Diesel 1 - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:18

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:18
G'day Jiarna,

Up here in Darwin practically all fuel comes across from Indonesia and it is a very dirty brew. I noticed a significant difference in performance and consumption in my diesel troopie a couple of years ago when I left the Territory and toured around Qld - cleaner fuel than the jungle juice we get up here.

Some years back all servos had periodic checks by inspectors from weights & measures - these checks were random, unannounced and accurate inspections to determine whether or not the public were being ripped off at the pump. I had a bit of an altercation with a BP proprietor a while ago after filling a brand new 20 litre jerry and according to the pump, it held 21.7 litres. I checked the exact quantity at home by decanting the fuel litre by litre (using the brides favourite kitchen measure) and by my calculations, I had only put in 19.8 litres - that meant a discrepancy of 1.9 litres, almost 10% inaccuracy at the pump.

Needless to say, the BP proprietor could not give a damn about the problem. It would appear that the weights & measures inspections don't happen these days.

Diesel 1

AnswerID: 55947

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:29

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:29
The problem is that unless you measure the output at the pump, the proprietor says that you spilled some or used it on the way home.
If we suspect we're being ripped off at the pump, I think we need to lodge a complaint with the ACCC who are supposed to look out for consumers. Of course they don't have the resources to do regular inspections, as the money for that has been used to give tax breaks to oil companies and distributors. But if they get enough complaints, they will do something. The other possibility is Choice, as they can do a survey of servos and do a shame job in Choice magazine. Or one of the TV shows like Today Tonight.
If the regulators aren't going to regulate, maybe we need to do some mud stirring ourselves.

FollowupID: 317837

Sponsored Links