Another Fuel Saving device? CAGLE MARK II?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:26
ThreadID: 12366 Views:3557 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hOWDY ALL.

I know there has been alot of conjecture about all these 'wonderful' fuel saving devices ( myself being quite sceptic ) & i thought I had heard of them all... until i came across another one!.. so for the sake of curiosity, i thought i'd ask if anyone has heard of the CAGLE MARK II automatic fuel control system? I found it lying around our work garage.

It seems to be an old unit for cars with carby's. their theory is that it monitors the fuel demands of the engine continously by sensing manifold vacuum, varying the fuel pressure to the engine's requirement, thus allowing the carby to operate more efficiently. They argue that fuel is pumped to the carby at a pressure which is considerable higher pressure than required for most operating conditions. This excessive fuel pressure causes the carby to feed to much fuel to the engine, which wastes fuel, causes pollutants, forms carbon deposits, dilutes the engine oil & shortens spark plug life.

whatayareckon? it doesnt really explain how it senses this vacuum & how it actually works but... it makes me curious.

Anyone heard of it, got any feedback? is it just another gimmick?

I can always throw it on & try it out.

cheers in advance

Rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: navaraman - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:34

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:34
If I'm not mistaken, and I could well be. The fuel pump pumps fuel into a separate reservoir withinthe carby and the fuel is then induced into the engine by suction from the inlet manifold. Changing the way the fuel is pumped to the carby shouldn't make a difference. Throw the Cagle Mk 2 into the bin with the HiClone.
AnswerID: 55906

Follow Up By: Topend - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:00

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:00
Your right navaraman, fuel is pumped to the fuel bowl and when this is full a float closes the needle and seat to stop overfilling. Fuel is sucked into the carby from the fuel bowl by air moving through a venturi. As the air passes through the venturi it creates a low pressure thereby sucking the fuel in. A venturi is a convergent duct which changes in shape from large to small. Not only does this cause a drop in pressure but it also causes a drop in temperature and an increase in air velocity. These last 2 points are not important to the operation of a carby but it is an interesting point.

Topend.
FollowupID: 317785

Follow Up By: navaraman - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:07

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:07
That's what I thought Topend. I used to drive a mini with a dodgy carby and was always pulling the thing apart to get the b*****d to start, too many years ago to remeber it all correctly. I look under the bonnet of cars these days and can't even find the dipstick.
FollowupID: 317787

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:23

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:23
Dipstick? What's that? ;))
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 317790

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:20

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:20
Dont know about this device, but any carby is an imperfect instrument and is subject to all sorts of on road vibrations which surely makes the needle & float
a less than perfect device for metering the incoming fuel to the bowl, so methinks it may work.

A friend has a device which is similar to one on the net. He drives a Sigma with carby & has tapped into the top of the carby & taken a tube from there to the manifold just below the carby. In that line there is a metering tap to adjust & he has reduced his fuel consumption to about 40 mpg. There is a better explanation on the net about this but dont have the site handy atm.

Also from similar source I read that in the US (where else?) that legislation ensures the air fuel ratio of 15 to 1 is adhered to & you will be uninsurable & put off the road if you come up with something else, thus the 200mpg Pogue carby is a no no even if it works.
Who runs the uS Govt?? Big Oil of course via Daddy Bush & Little Bush.
AnswerID: 55926

Reply By: Glenno - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:56

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 01:56
It was probably "lying around" for a good reason!
AnswerID: 55938

Reply By: ross - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:10

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:10
If any of these devices actually worked Im sure everyone would have one by now.
Independant testing is the litmus test that sorts them out and I have yet to find that would pass.
Some carpetbagger in one scam actually thought scientific testing involved the owner/manager of the company driving a landcruiser around Melbourne ON HIS OWN and then doing before and after measurements on the fuel usage.He hired an independant tester to measure the fuel usage ONLY and claimed it was all done in a scientific manner!

This is the site which explains the bull%$# behind those fuel saving devices.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cains1/Fuel_saving.htm
AnswerID: 55946

Sponsored Links