Inflatable jack's from exhaust system

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:35
ThreadID: 12367 Views:4078 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
From those people who have one of these inflatable jack's are you happy with it.
Is it durable and puncture resistant?
How long does it take to inflate?
Is it worthwhile or save the $250.
Thanks in advance Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul's lot - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:49

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 20:49
First time I inflated mine it blew apart at the seam with an almighty bang and was being demo'd to me by a veteran. it was replaced without question by the manufacturer and since then I have used it a couple of times with huge sucess. Takes a bit of practice to become proficient and is mainly for use on sand or emergency. Given that they can fail I would definately err on the side of caution reaching under wheels to place items to grip on. This is the case with any jack. Overall I reckon they are great but i wouldn't rely on one to be my only method of raising a vehicle and the inflation time is good Value is a relative thing and only you can decide how many times a year would you use it for your $200.
AnswerID: 55909

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:06

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:06
I have used mine twice, both times went very well and got me going again. I would suggest that you have 2 pieces of thick carpet with you, one for under and one for on top of the bag and ensure that when you position it under vehicle that you are well away from any sharp bits.

I travel by myself a lot and have had to find a way of holding the funnel over the exhaust while the bag is filling, normally one person would do this while the other either watches whats going on or is revving the engine to increase the exhaust.

Very good in sand or anywhere that the jack wont go.

Is it worth the money, well wha'ts it worth to you to be able to get out of the bog/sand/cr*p and on your way again...for me it is priceless :-)
AnswerID: 55910

Follow Up By: marcus - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:26

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 22:26
Thanks for the tips guys, the thick carpet sounds like good insurance.I actually purchased the TJM one on friday and it was the better quality of the two available.I liked the compactness of it when deflated also.Will do an inflation test on it at home before i need it in an off road situation.
Cheers Mark
FollowupID: 317804

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:49

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:49
Like most things in our 4x4's the carpet has more than one role. I use my carpet everytime I have to get underneath. It's much more comfy on a peice of carpet than the rough track, road etc...multitasking :-)))
FollowupID: 317818

Follow Up By: howie - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:49

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:49
remember that there are 2 different sizes of 'cone' that fits the exhaust.(on the arb), i got the wrong one included of course. now carry 2 sizes of cone.
handy piece of kit, bit bulky.
i have heavy duty old car mats for mud trips, use these to protect the bag under & over.
FollowupID: 317856

Reply By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:36

Sunday, Apr 25, 2004 at 21:36
Hi Marcus,
I have owned one for about 8 years now. Have used it 9 times. Mainly used on sand although i had to use it twice on rocky stuff. It dont take long at all to inflate, I also advise you have 2 pieces of thick carpet or sacks (what i use) to place on floor and ontop of bag. Takes up a bit of room when packed in car BUT very handy when needed.
In my opinion its worth the money.

Thats my shillings worth old mate
Regards Angelo
AnswerID: 55915

Follow Up By: Bros - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:05

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:05
G'day cokeaddict.
Was also thinking about buying one. Could you tell me approximately what the life span is and how small it is when deflated. Thanks.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 317824

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:06

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:06
Mark,
I use one at least twice a month, no I don't get stuck a lot but we use the exhaust jack on our driver training course. The carpet is a very good idea, I use two carpet squares and they do protect the bag. I have also repaired the bag and it still works very well. You might have to have a few goes at postioning the bag but I have lifted all types of vehicles up so that the wheel that is bogged has been lifted high enough to fill the hole with rocks or dirt.
Wayne
AnswerID: 55961

Reply By: Mrs Diamond - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:14

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:14
i just bought 1 brand new $70 was hoping to try it in qld but didnt ill try it on sat and let you know
AnswerID: 56041

Reply By: malleefowl - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:28

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:28
Hi Mark,
I found mine to be a life saver when I had a flat on the caravan.Not only do you need to jack the axle but the chassis has to be lifted as well to clear the wheel from the wheel arch.Not good design I know but little old 12ft van will go anywhwere lLandrover can tow it.Was on 13' but have now popped on the 14"s.Short of a heap of digging to clear the wheel the airbag that I had just purchased did the job no fuss and best of all no effort!It is now a permanent resident in the van,Cheers Jane
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56078

Reply By: outtrekin - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:06

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:06
G'day,

Yep. Owned one for roughly 11 yrs.
Always carry it in the recovery kit out.
Used it 4 times in anger.
3 times on my own vehicle in beach sand, where we were hopelessly bogged - worked a treat! - funny though, it was the last resort bit of kit we used each of the times!!(after winches;straps etc!)
....and 1 time to show the girlfriends old uncle how it worked on his little pristine 83 Pulsar hatch - only second time i'd played with it and nearly turned the little datto on its side....kid u not....all 4 wheels got off the ground..... funny, but very sobering!
Advice from a mug - play with it at home, take the carpet advice or similar, inflates quickly no fuss, money is in-material when one is staring down a high tide and all else has failed!

Cheers
NICK
AnswerID: 56088

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:19

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 18:19
Had one about 4 years, used it about 6 times, on sand even on concrete in the servo carpark when my jack packed it in on the rocky, great, handy if you have an idle up or hand throtle though.
AnswerID: 56247

Sponsored Links