Nissan Navara ST-R 3.0Di probs

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:10
ThreadID: 12382 Views:27979 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a New Nissan Navara with the 3L turbo diesel and 20Km down the road from the dealer I got a check engine light come up. The dealer in Perth said it is a faulty crank angle sensor, which was replaced. It is still coming up though and now the bastards are telling me the faults have to be cleared from the computer and it won't come up anymore. I am taking it in shortly for its' 5000Km service and will get it done.

I live in the Pilbara in WA and have no dealer near here and want to see if anyone has heard of this and can give me some suggestions as to what to do to fix this.

For anyone in WA looking at purchasing a new car in WA, there is a large car yard on albany highway in Perth that sells Nissan's and Subarus amongst other things. If service is what you are after do not buy from here. When I looked to them for help with my problem and explained the isolated spot where I live I was rudely told 'that's your problem for living up there'.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: crowie - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:38

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:38
JA
As your probably aware the engine management light can come on for any number of reasons, including water in your filter. I recently had the light come on in mine and when I turned the engine off at the dealer and then back on again the light had gone out. The computer check indicated that it was the air flow sensor. That was 5000 km ago and has not come on again.

You can apparently conduct Self Diagnoses of the EMS and extract the fault codes by connecting (bridging) the terminals 8 (IGN) and 1 (CHK) of the diagnosis connector located below the lower dash panel on the drivers side and reading the code at the Check Engine warning lamp in the instrument cluster with the ignition switch on. You will need to know the code numbers of course. The bridging connector has 16 connector points. No.1 is the bottom right one and No. 8 is the bottom left one.

The light coming on while your driving is mearly to indicate that the ECM computer has recorded a fault. If it is water in the fuel, the warning lightl usually comes on and goes off intermittently.

You can clear the codes yourself after reading them by reconnecting the wire bridging terminals described earlier while the iginition is still on. Wait at least two seconds and then remove the wire bridging the terminals.

If you are a long way from a Service centre I suggest you buy a workshop manual. The genuine Nissan ones cost an arm and a leg + a bit more. There is a Gregory's Repair Manual for the Patrol with the ZD30 motor (No 519) which might suffice if there is no specific one for the Navara. That's were I got the above information from.

Good luck
AnswerID: 55996

Follow Up By: crowie - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:53

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 12:53
JA

Might as well give you the Retrieve Fault Code instructions complete so you don't stuff something up. Might help others also.

(1) ensure the battery is fully charged and the engine is at operating temperatrure
(2) ensure all accessories are switched off
(3) switch the engine on but DO NOT start.
(4) bridge the terminals as mention before. The Check Engine warning light (CEWL) should extinguish
(5)Wait at least two seconds and then remove the wire bridging the terminals of the diagnosis connector. Any stored fault codes should now be able to be read.
(6) Read the codes by counting the number of flashes of the CEWL. The code numbers are displayed as sets of flashes separated by a 2.1 second pause. Each set comprrises a series of 0.6 second flashes, an 0.9 second pause and a further set of 0.3 second flashes. The first set represents the first two digest of the code and the second set represents the last two digits.

eg. Code 0102 would be shown as one 0.6 second flash, a 0.9 second pause and then two 0.3 second flashes.

Hope this all makes sense. As you apparently only want to stop the CEWL from staying on follow this and then bridge them again as described before with the ignition still on.
FollowupID: 317857

Reply By: Member - Athol (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:03

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:03
I know this wont help but not being up on the newer nissans I have been wondering is the 3lt motor in the navara and the patrol the same? Please forgive my ignorance but just been in my mind for a while now.
AnswerID: 56117

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:29

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:29
I think they are but navara has lower kilowatts 110 as opposed to 114
FollowupID: 317982

Follow Up By: TOB - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 16:19

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 16:19
navara has same engine but no intercooler

TOB
FollowupID: 318004

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:06

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:06
Sounds like the usual 3.0l TD Nissan engine problem, every dealer seems to think it's caused by something else and no one seems to actually solve it. Our work patrol was in no less than 4 times for a total period of 4 weeks while trying to solve it. They replaced just about every sensor in the thing and the EGR valve. It no longer does it.
I would be guessing it is 1 of two things. Either the EGR valve (there seems to be problems out of the factory with those and they are an expensive part so Nissan trys to skimp on replacing them) Either that or its the air temp sensor that is faulty. I would go the EGR though. They said they replaced ours and yet it still did it, it went back again and they replaced it "again" (for the first time i would say) and it magically worked.
AnswerID: 56168

Follow Up By: crowie - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:09

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:09
I don't think is so much a ZD30 motor problem as uniformed uneducated untrained diesel mechanics at Nissan dealers.

I haven't had a problem with my 2000 Patrol apart from the ECU. But I have realised that there are very few diesel mechanics in Australia familiar with these new high tec diesels. We need to import some from Europe where these motors are as common as bull ants at Bendethra. Thats why to resolve a problem they just replace everything until they get it working.

FollowupID: 318189

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 19:22

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 19:22
and also - brand new at xmas - 2 rear diffs replaced - hmmmmm is there something we should know. and there has been no jumping or rock crawling just using and not much 4wd at that. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 56257

Follow Up By: crowie - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:13

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 21:13
Maverick

Unusual to say the least. I was told by a reputable mechanic that Nissan are a bit skint when they pack wheel bearings ex factory. Shouldn't effect diff of course, maybe they just forgot the oil!!!!
FollowupID: 318191

Sponsored Links