Phillips FM29 uhf - help needed please

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:24
ThreadID: 12404 Views:1437 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was recently given an old Phillips FM29 uhf. Its large and a bit of a dinosaur by todays standards but looks well made and transmits and receives well.

I would like to know how to operate the scan function and any other functions it may have. It has 3 buttons - AUX, SEND and ON/OFF. I heard a rumor that other functions could be accessed by pressing some combination of these buttons. So far I havent worked it out.

Would be great to hear from anyone familiar with this unit.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tom - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:53

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 21:53
Hi Mark,

I used to use one of these radios (assuming you are talking of an FM92 and not an FM29?) - they are great units, transmitting 25 Watts being one of the useful features, aswell as the possibility of having things like Police and SES receive, but scanning is very limited.

The AUX and SEND buttons will offer you no functions (except the AUX button for scan - see below). The radios were built for commercial applications and the buttons were used for the sending of data and tones etc.

Scanning is only 10 preprogrammed channels at a time. At the time of programming the radio, 2 banks of 10 channels are programmed as scan channels. To put the radio into scan, the microphone needs to be put on it's mic holder (must be a holder with a magnet built into it - the microphone has a reed switch built into it that only activates by a magnet - you can hold a reesonably strong magnet against the back of the mic near the metal clip to test if you don't have the magnetic microphone holder) and then the AUX button can be pressed to alternate between the 2 banks of scan channels. You should see a flashing 01 for bank 1 and 02 for bank 2.

Hope this has been of some help.

Tom.
AnswerID: 56085

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:39

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:39
They just don't make them like that today John...tough...tough...tough Just whats needed in a 4x4.

If you wish to scan (or use tone mute) and do not have a magnetic microphone clip, a simple modification is as follows. Open your standard mic, locate the steel strenghtening plate at the rear which supports the mic hanger clip, and clean the coating from a small portion of it, then solder a short length of wire to this point, and solder the other end to the pin where the blue wire joins the pc-board. Then all you have to do is to run a ground wire from your radio, or the power supply running the radio, to your standard mic clip. All the reed switch/magnet combo does is to short the blue (cradle) wire to ground, so this is just another way of doing the same job.

AnswerID: 56154

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:41

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 09:41
Sorry Mark, don't know where I got John from.
FollowupID: 317952

Reply By: Mark- Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:13

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:13
Thanks for the helpful replies. It looks like a very solid radio which will last a long time. It came with a magnetic mi holder - I will try it with the mic in the holder.

AnswerID: 56298

Follow Up By: Mark- Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:24

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:24
Sorry, I forgot to mention, it is a FM92 (not 29)
FollowupID: 318043

Sponsored Links