Patrol on avgas

Submitted: Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 22:10
ThreadID: 12406 Views:1415 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all,
I am considering a trip across the centre from the Pilbara to Ayers Rock (oops ULURU), but i want to know if anyone out there has driven a 4.5ltr Patrol on avgas as this is all that is avalable in the remote central communities.Did it do any damage or did you cocktail the stuff to get by ? Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Cold Beers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:12

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:12
Avgas has a VERY high lead content and this will poison both your cat converter (leaving it sounding like marbles in a tin can) and also your exhaust system oxygen sensor.

Avgas is not recommended!

AnswerID: 56159

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:27

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 13:27
which way are you going? They have ULP at Well 33. You should be able to carry a little extra in jerries to get you either down the Gary Hwy or the SBJT to Yulara resort. Alternatively, mixing Avgas with ULP will reduce the harm. Finally, if your Patrol has done more than 200,000 then the CC is stuffed anyway and no further harm will result. On our recent trip the 80 series was run oin and avgas/ULP blend with no obvious deleterious effect.
AnswerID: 56191

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 16:19

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 16:19
Paul be careful before using avgas in any automobile there are severe penalties for using leaded fuel in motor vehicles without the proper authorisations. The following info might be helpful

"It is now an offence in Australia to add lead, or any other prohibited substance, to motor fuel or to use leaded fuel, (other than for aviation) – maximum penalty $110,000!!!

However, The Minister for the Environment has granted exemptions to allow the supply of Avgas and leaded racing fuels (eg RF100) via certain approved organizations for a limited period, currently to June, 2005. The bureaucrats hope/expect that demand from motor sport will have dried up or disappeared by then, but it could be extended if there is sufficient demand and a strong enough case is made. (“Users of vehicles that have a requirement to use leaded fuel are encouraged to seek alternatives.”)

Currently, there are 22 approved “Issuing Organizations”, mainly speedboat, hot rod, and speedway, but including CAMS and the Australian Historic Motoring Federation (GPO Box 2862, Canberra, ACT, 2601). These groups issue “Leaded Fuel Passbooks”, on behalf of the government, to members of their associated clubs which allow the purchase of Avgas from your local supplier (mainly airports and race circuits.)

CAMS will only issue Passbooks for cars with CAMS Logbooks; however AHMF will issue them on a wider basis. AHMF is the peak national motoring club organization and covers 900 motor clubs (for example, via AOMC in Victoria, the Council of Motoring Clubs in NSW, etc). Most motoring clubs are (or should be) a member of one of these organizations. If you need a logbook, give AHMF a call (Ph 0419 249 109, or email You will need an application form and $20. "


AnswerID: 56226

Sponsored Links