Tyre sizes

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 19:05
ThreadID: 12427 Views:1809 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In my post 12368 I asked about my camper trailer wheels fitting the Prado. The replys where right and the wheels will not fit the Prado. I was in Brisbane today and chased done one secondhand rim for a second spare wheel. This was very time consuming and demonstarted that Prado wheels are difficult to obtain. I also think I might as well of bought a new one for the price.

Anyway I discussed tyres with the wrecker who informed me that my current spare a 265/70R16 is not compatable with the tyres on the Prado which are 275/70R16. He tells me if I put the spare on I will bind or wind up the diff or transmission or something to this effect. Is this right?

Looks like I'm up for two new tyres to make everthing even. Looking forward to your replys.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 21:54

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 21:54
Wayne,

I have heard coments about dif problems being caused by mis-matched tyre before but I don't really know myself.

I had difficulty finding second hand wheels for the camper to match my Patrol. Four days draging around Adelaide all for nothing. Living in Broken Hill made it even more frustrating.

I did eventually get the wheels (original Nissan steels) and some half decent secondhand tyres from local tyre dealers. They often have them left over when people buy new mags etc.

It is well worth the effort of matching the wheels and tyres. If I swap wheels between the car and trailer while I'm in the scrub It doesn't matter. I can leave them where they end up because all 8 wheels match.

I have been towing the trailer for years and my only regret about getting the wheels properly matched is that I did not do it sooner.

Keep shopping
Duncs
AnswerID: 56289

Reply By: Cruiser88 - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:03

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:03
Have to agree about the effort in matching tyres being worth it. Just came back from a two week trip through several stations between Boulia and Bedourie with a borrowed trailer. Tyres looked great with heaps of lug left on them but they were old. Trailer ran on old (very old) Landrover rims. After five flats on four tyres I would have given just about anything for some six stud cruiser hubs. I had three spares for the car. Point in case though it is often easier to track down older or steel rims out bush than in the big smoke. Managed to pick up a spare Landrover rim fairly easy in Boulia and 750X16 Tyres are standard fare.
AnswerID: 56293

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 22:01

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 22:01
Wayne, the difference in diameter is about 15mm (when new) or about 2%.

If your centre diff is unlocked, its highly unlikely that you'll have a problem.

If you lock your centre diff and drive on bitumen, it may be a different story.

Should always have identical sized tyres on a 4wd.
AnswerID: 56477

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:12

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 17:12
Waynes,, methinks your wrecker is after a sale of a pair of tyres,, 275 = the width of the tyre in mm , 70 = the height of the tyre in % to width , 16 = the rim size in inches ,the 10mm difference in width = st-ff all in height ,, diff or tranny windup no way,,, if it was then how do Merc VW, Ford ect,ect get away with Space Saver tyres,, only differrence is the width
AnswerID: 56586

Sponsored Links