Ford Explorer 4x4 problem

Submitted: Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1243 Views:4172 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
In relation to my previous questions about my 97 XLT Explorer's strange 4x4 problem, i have found some more info which may help in finding the problem. I took it out onto Stockton Beach on the weekend and played around with it a bit, i noticed it wouldn't do the clunking i was talking about?? But as soon as i hit the grass at the entrance to the beach and i tried to turn the wheel and make a turn, the car began jolting and clunking once again. Is this NORMAL?? It seems the car is quite happy when its on a slippery surface but as soon as it hits a bit of terra firma, spits the dummy. It happens only in 4x4 high and 4x4 low, but not in the auto mode? Anyone with any ideas, please help.

Thanks
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
Jason,

I don't know anything about the explorers other than the comercial that said "the 4wd that thinks"....
Going by your descritpion it looks like the 4wd system is always locked up or does not disingage.

The description of you problem is what any part time 4wd would do if you left it in 4wd on hard surfaces.

I would recommend you to take it to Ford and let them diagnose the problem, it could be something simple to fix or hard but whatever it may be, it may be damaging something else...

Will
AnswerID: 3973

Reply By: Royce - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Sometimes you just have to pay a professional to fix a problem. Talk to a mechanic!
AnswerID: 3981

Follow Up By: Axel - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

curioser and curioser,,,time to take the ford to a ford dealer.
FollowupID: 1684

Reply By: Trev - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Hello Jason, now the facts are starting to show. If you read you Ford Explorer book they tell you not to engage high, or low, 4WD on surfaces which do not allow slip. When you throw the switch you transfer the torque equally between the front and back. ie you lock things up a fair bit! So if you are on a surface which does not allow slip, such as a tar road, you will get all sorts of funny expensives noises. Hard on the dive and hard on tyres. I leave mine in auto as it will eventually work its way to 50% front and back. Low range is used for going slower and I've only ever used that on the farm. Let the car do the thinking for you.
Trev
AnswerID: 3985

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
As i said before , sell the bloody thing and buy yourself real 4x4 Something like Nissan or Toyota and stop bothering everyone here with your problems .
AnswerID: 4009

Follow Up By: Trev - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Mick, Go and grow up and try getting a life! Trev
FollowupID: 1695

Follow Up By: Member - Sam - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Mick, This is a forum (Forum - place of/or meeting for public discussion - as defined by Australian Oxford Dictionary). Its a facility for people to help each other out. To me its like a TV program, if you don't like it, you can change the channel. Same goes for the posts in this forum. If they don't interest you, you don't have to read them, and you certainly don't have to reply to them. However, you would be greatly denying yourself free information by not reading them. But don't waste yours and more importantly, other people's time, by posting inane flame messages that only serve to show your immaturity.
FollowupID: 1698

Sponsored Links