Travelling with pets

Submitted: Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1244 Views:1769 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We love our dog dearly and are looking to travel indefinitely next year, however we are unsure what to do. Do we leave the mutt behind and see everything or do we take her and get turned away from alot of places? I know its personal opinion but at this point I'm looking for responses to both sides of the coin.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Royce - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
Leave it with family if you can. Be free and enjoy the country. Believe it or not your will be like every dog. They are happy with any companionship. Loyalty is for storybooks. If it's looked after well it won't miss you. Really! Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 3979

Reply By: Royce - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

ps....more to the point. Even though you love your mutt, many people can't believe that you are so unthinking as to impose a dog on them as you travel. It is very disturbing to have a dog nosing around you if you are not a 'dog person'. I am, but you have to understand that many people aren't. hooroo Royce
AnswerID: 3980

Reply By: MarkC - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Hey Craig. I have travelled a bit with my Beagle. Get yourself a copy of a book called 'Travelling with Dogs' from your local book shop. It lists camp grounds, caravan parks and other forms of accomodation where it is ok to take your pooch. I found it really useful. I did have to plan ahead a little and phone ahead where I wanted to stay to confirm that it would be alright. Staying on the East Coast I didn't find it a problem at all, except when entering National Parks. On thos occaisions the dog got a holiday at boarding kennels. Cheers.
AnswerID: 3984

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
Have travelled some 45000km in our caravan over the past 3 years on east half of OZ, our little mini foxie goes with us everywhere...except the National Parks visits, . Not had a problem, but it can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes as you cant always find a dog friendly park in the area you want to go, so it makes for a bit extra travelling. But we enjoy having to dog along so it'll be still coming with us.

Main thing is clean up after your dog, and dont allow it to run around marking other vehicles and generally annoying people.... Believe me there are many dog owners out there who let the dog run around and dont clean up after them, no matter what the park rules say..

If you want to have freedom of choice of where you go and stay, then do as Royce suggests, but if you really enjoy having the dog along then go for it,.

enjoy..
AnswerID: 4409

Sponsored Links