CDMA PHONES

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:55
ThreadID: 12451 Views:1572 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any had any experince with a cdma phone re which one to buy and what type of whip to use its another mine field out there knowing which one to buy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TuffLux (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:33

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:33
Hi there
I have just bought a new Hyundai tx60b with a car kit and external broomstick 6 db gain aerial. So far I am very impressed with the coverage but am still testing it out.
Look for a phone that allows the use of an external aerial (some of the Kyocera's and the Hyundai seem to be the only new one's around with this feature) as it will give you a lot better coverage when in the 4by. A hands free kit will set you back about $300 and I paid $134 for my aerial at D**k Sm**hs. The new Nokia 2280 seems like a good buy also if you are not after an external aerial.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 56380

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 13:17

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 13:17
Kyocera and high gain antenna if that is what you need. Best you want to afford as they have successively higher capabilities including higher data transfer speeds. Telstra have the higher rate of service cells and will also tell you Kyocera have the research background.
AnswerID: 56386

Follow Up By: 10 Para (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:47

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 14:47
Hi John thanks for that that is one that i have been looking at does it answer a call itself or do you have to push a button to take a call, also i notice that you have polyairs fitted are they the pump up ones and how do you find them, i have OME 981 sorings on the rear and need to get another 10 or 15 mm in hight when loaded ARB have bagged the polyairs to me and suggested to go for the 10 or 15 mm packer would be interested to hear what you have to say.
Regards
FollowupID: 318128

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:06

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 17:06
Para. I am not sure what phone you have been looking at but Telstra do have quite a bit on them at their site and I would guess Kyocera do too. My daughter-in-law has one and a mate in Qld. They are the ducks I understand. Still have a Qualcomm here which Kyocera bought out.

On the issue of the polyairs, have the pump up ones which are quite adjustable but I guess you could look at higher rated springs which would be forever harsh or a competitor air bag to provide more lift if you thought you needed it. I was supported when they believed a Polyair blew out last year, through over-inflation. It was not my belief that it was over-inflated. I have a 20mm packer under the polyairs.

Go Champ
FollowupID: 318149

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 16:11

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 16:11
Hi, I run a Nokia 2280 & get good reception out in the bush. Worked well last year up in Cape York plus through country Queensland. Have found when travelling in the outback where Station Properties run those solar powered telephone transmitters that it picks the signal up very well with it just sitting on the dash of the vehicle. Cheers.
AnswerID: 56414

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 18:19

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 18:19
Kyocera 3245 (with external 6db antennea and patch lead if you dont want full car kit) works fine has external speaker so just velcro it to dash within reach/view is the way that we went and happy with the result. Also has voice dial as well as the external speakers so easy to use in car. Connects to laptop via usb cable at reasonable speed for email.
AnswerID: 56431

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:48

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:48

Have got a Kyocera QCP 3035, which works pretty well. Bit fiddly at times, but has good range. Sent an SMS recently, from over 40 clicks from the cell. Wife has an old Hyundai 120E, thats been going for years, and recently been rejuvenated with bigger battery.

your choice...

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56463

Reply By: Member - Slim - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 22:56

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 22:56
10 para,

I've used a Kyocera for about 3 years (3035) with a car kit and standard external aerial. I've recently changed to NOKIA 2280, also with NOKIA car kit and aerial (stick on rear window) both are good phones. Regarding the aerials, I have never seen the need for a high gain and a friend who used one for a while claimed the improvement over a standard car aerial was marginal.He has now gone back to a standard car aerial. When you are travelling you will run in and out of areas of signal strength continually. The high gain may slightly increase this reception area.
I would think the real advantage would be for someone who lived or worked in an area that was marginal for signal strength. The suggested advantage for the current NOKIA setup is the fact that the car kit for the 2280 will be able to changed to accept new model phones when they become available. Only the cradle will need to be changed. When some car kits cost around $5-600.00 this could be a saving worth planning for. NOKIA say the new cradles will cost about $25.00.

Regards,

Slim
AnswerID: 56493

Reply By: Dunedigger - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 06:52

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 06:52
The range of CDMA phones vary a lot between models and makes. The only way to find out the best range is to compare a few when in a fringe area. Then sit them all up and watch.

I have found the best phone for range was a LG 330W and that is more important to me than features when you are out in a low signal area and need to be in contact.

Most dealers don't have a clue about range as the only way to comare them is out in a low signal area, not in town close to a tower

Dunedigger
AnswerID: 56509

Reply By: outback ted - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:04

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:04
G'day

I use satellite, digital and cdma phones at various times.

I tried various cdma phones before selecting a Nokia 6385.

A bit dated now but I am yet to find a later phone ( of any manafacture ) that I would repace it with.

Cheers
AnswerID: 56545

Reply By: Alex H - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 16:09

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 16:09
I'd go with a Kyocera rather than any other brand based on my own and friends experiences - I used to have a hyundai, it was OK but the Kyocera I replaced it with is much much better - a friend has a nokia which he spends more time swearing at than using, and another has a Kyocera which she is very happy with which is what prompted me to try the kyocera myself.
Kyocera now own qualcomm, who invented the cdma technology, so it seems reasonable that they know what they're doing.
Cheers,
Alex
AnswerID: 56578

Sponsored Links