PLASTIC BUCKET WASHING MACHINE

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 19:12
ThreadID: 12458 Views:8101 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The last few 4by shows I have attended have had the guy selling the 20lt plastic bucket style washing machine...I know you have all stood there and watched him do the demo...come on now...admit it :-)

2 Questions:

1) Those of you who have bought one...does it work?

2) Other than 4by shows where can you buy them (I know they dont sell through the 'traditional' reatil outlets)?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 19:25

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 19:25
Hi Kiwi

I got one, I"ve stood there and watched him a couple of times over the past few years...and decided this year, I"m going to get one..[by the way becauseI stood there from the start of the demo to the end he threw in one of those pegless clotheslines and a cloth that's supposed to stop colours running], I've used it, washed some of the kids stuff and a pair of my jeans..and other clothes...and it worked great...and because it has the agitator you can drain the water off and then squash the some of the rest of the water out...saves ringing out so much...I know, I know..I could have just used a big bucket etc...but I thought...nahhhh...this looks easier..and it is....I've used it a couple of times at home too...and have had no probs..

I think you can get it from a company called caravan accessories..they're online..and I think the price is about $55.00..not sure on the postage....

Lyn
AnswerID: 56441

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 19:39

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 19:39
Kiwi, I had one & it broke... so I made my own using a 20 litre bucket & lid I got of my local baker that had icing in it... frankly I dont think they are worth $55. I found that sloshing the washing around in the bucket without the agitator in it did just as good a job. I dont use mine anymore as I just bought a little Lemair auto washer that spin drys etc...so You are welcome to my proffesionally engineered bucket with top & agitator. I bought the little washing machine because I'm not allowed to go off road & always seem to end up in a ***** van park where they charge like they have the only laundry on the planet and the cost will be recovered in about 30 weeks of holiday....But dont expect the bucket to do a big wash.. heavy clothes will soon tie it in knots and you have to stand there all day utilising that" gentle wrist action" when you could be laying back( naked if you wish) on the golden sand enjoying your holiday
AnswerID: 56445

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:00

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:00
Kiwi
I have one here some where belongs to a mate not used for years great if you have kids to turn the handle, Ok if in base camp or CP etc, if driving most days just use a plasterer's "topcoat bucket" with a tight lid works a treat on rough roads, and a bucket has many uses.

cheers
AnswerID: 56449

Reply By: Lyds - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:09

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 20:09
I had one until it fell off my roofrack on a bumpy track in Kakadu last year (if anyone found it let me know :-) )

I thought it wasn't bad, did an ok job and as mentioned allows you squeeze a good bit of the liquid out. However, playing the role of an agitator can only hold your interest for so long. In the end, its not quite the same as paying a few bucks to ruin your clothes in a caravan park laundromat, but it was better than turning your underwear inside out.

As for cost, have you tried buying a decent bucket with a lid lately?

AnswerID: 56452

Reply By: Bilbo - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 23:28

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2004 at 23:28
I used to use one of those home brew drums with the big, screw on top. In go the smalls or whatever, a BIT of powder and drive around a few bush tracks and creeks. Take it out at the end of the day, rinse, chuck it on a nearby bush to dry - laundry done.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 56500

Follow Up By: jolls - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 00:29

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 00:29
I use the same method as this; however, change the water at lunchtime to wash out the detergent and suspended dirt. Works a treat. Saves a bundle. Only problem is that you need a water supply. If you are going from caravban park to caravan park no worries. Otherwise grab some fresh water from the servo when you refuel. It can be a bit hard (salts) in the outback so you may need to look at the detergent you use.

I hope this helps and saves you a couple of buck, I recommend a screw top lid bucket as I poppoed the top off my press on one hitting a washaway a little hard. The dust just flew right in the top and created red mud. Interesting shade for the life of those garments. It wouldn't come out no matter what.

Cheers

Jolls
FollowupID: 318243

Follow Up By: Groove - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:36

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 21:36
Thats a classic Jolls
FollowupID: 318387

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 00:20

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 00:20
2) I have seen them at caravan parts places in WA there is a big one on Welshpool rd
AnswerID: 56507

Reply By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:38

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:38
Kiwi,
I use a 20 lt home brew drum. 75% fill the drum with water, add soap, add washing, put on lid, load in wagon and rinse at end of day.
Old Army trick. Let the rough roads do the work
Vince
AnswerID: 56523

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 18:02

Thursday, Apr 29, 2004 at 18:02
Lex had to have one but it hasn't been tested yet
AnswerID: 56597

Reply By: Jimbo - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:13

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:13
I saw a rotating drum with handle type arrangement at Ray's Outdoors (Vic). Can't remember what it cost but it was pretty cheap. No idea whether it works or not but the principle looked OK.

Jim.
AnswerID: 56752

Sponsored Links