patrol front diff

Submitted: Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1246 Views:1413 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, i have a 96 gq st, having the same diff as the curent model. what is the advantage of the lock position, (wound over with the wheel wrench) on the front hubs? it seems like some sort of mechanical fail-safe in case it doesnt lock in automatically? if there is a time to use it when does it help?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richie - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Jim, I have a 99 gu turbo diesel, and I also have the same question about that function, in fact I've never used it and never even thought about it! Your explanation sounds reasonable, however I would be surprised, as you would expect the auto hubs are unlikely to fail. Hopefully someone will fill us in!

Regards Richie
AnswerID: 4029

Reply By: Hendo - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
Gents

The lock position is so that you can manually lock the hub, meaning it won't fall out of the locked position if you need to reverse down a steep hill. (disaster in the making!!)

It would be advisable to "lock" these automatic hubs whenever you are doing low range work. You can still shift into high range 2WD with them locked, cause no damage. When you hit the black stuff again, unlock them manually.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 4061

Follow Up By: Jim - Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 07, 2002 at 00:00
Hendo, thank you for your response. I assumed it must have done that, i was surprised that it could 'fall out', thats why i thought it may have had an extra function. It seems pretty scary thinking it could do this considering some of the low range hill climbs i've done without it locked over manually. I would have thought there would have been a warning or at least suggest that it be locked manually on the transfer instructions. Cheers.
FollowupID: 1735

Sponsored Links