head lights

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 17:43
ThreadID: 12515 Views:1998 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i want to upgraid my head lights in my pajero nh/ fom standard to 130/90 will the wiring handle it ,i have a set of navara blue driving lights i think ithey are the best thing in lights ive seen for the price beautiful clear white light...
.....but thats just my thoughts.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:16

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:16
The 130/90's will be a big drag on the electrics as I dont think they run off direct relays on the Paj. Just think, the originals are 60/55 and you're effectively doubling that, from the battery to the starter motor thru the light switch and back down to the lights. If it doesnt fry anything the voltage drop will be significant and if it does fry something then just think of what else it'll take to the wiring gods.

I went and got some headlight plugs off an old Falcon (just cut them off a wreck) and wired them into a setup with a relay for high and one for low beam mounted directly beside the battery. You can pick up the volts from the old plug pulled off the back of the lights. Use some decent cable, I think I used 4 mm and hook it all up, much better light output and no fry by nighters.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 56738

Reply By: MickeyJ - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:47

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:47
I talked to SRB about upgrading the lightrs on my NM Pajero, and they recommended not increasing the wattage of the bulbs, as they melt and discolour the polycarbonate lenses.

Regards

Mickey
AnswerID: 56746

Reply By: maverick - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:53

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:53
You will eventually discolour and screw up the lens as above. Try those fancy new globes - crystal vision or similar. They seem to get good write ups in the mags - but then again they pay for adverts. If you decide to go ahead you will need to have relays for the lights and upgrade the wiring. Do you really need 90/130? Try 90/100 and see how they go - still should do the relay and wiring bit though. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 56747

Reply By: REX - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:58

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 18:58
thanks for all your help i think ill go with the navara blue 60/55 to match my driving lights they say they are good i know there driving lights are
AnswerID: 56749

Follow Up By: REX - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:02

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 19:02
another question the rear lights ie: the ones that dont work in the side panels are they hard to wire up so they work or arn't you allowed to have them working i recon the more lights on your ass end the better???
FollowupID: 318497

Reply By: old-plodder - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:02

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:02
Headlights

I have a NH - GLS, and this older model still has glass lenses, not the plastic of the NM.
Tried 130/90 and they worked for 6 months without a problem. Was concerned about the smallness of the wiring so tried 100/80, and got just as much light, so sticking to those now. Good quality builbs most probably are more help than outright watts.

Rear lights.
The upper lights arn't wired in because of the ADRs, so Mitsubishi made them fog lights. The park lights have to be seen for a large angle from any side and the rear mounted spare tyre gets in the way. The standard lower park lights are 10w, but the upper fog lights are 20w. So I hooked up a relay betweeen the lower lights (brake) and the fog lights so that they come on as brake lights. With the relay, I can still turn on the upper fog lights when conditions are bad. With 5 brake lights coming on people see you are slowing down! Or just a tap lets them know you are there.

John C
AnswerID: 56760

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:30

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 22:30
Rex.
The standard lights are excelant on the Pajero. The best way to get improved vision is to turn off the dash lights and any other lights in the cabin, do an experiment, place a black cloth over the dash and other lights and you will find your eyes will adjust to the lower periferal vision and become muck more sensitive. The wire gauge is critical in a modern vehicle, the globe looks like a short cct when it is cold so you must have a little resistance in series to stop the filament from poping, the voltage drop is compensated for be the alternator voltage being set higher in the modern cars. thats why the globes can last the life of the car. Eric.
AnswerID: 56790

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 23:50

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 23:50
Hi Rex did you get your battery problems sorted?
I am upgrading my lights too (Twin sqare ones) and am using 80/100 outside and 100 inside + I already have 100 IPFs . I will be using several relays for 2 reasons as 1) you get more currant to each filament and, 2) if there is an electric problem you dont loose all of your lights.
On my previous steed I wired the relays to the back of the alternator and so when I was flyin the lights were getting 14 v and they were real good. That system never failed me in many hard miles.
AnswerID: 56800

Reply By: Angus F (SA) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 13:24

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 13:24
Rex

I upgraded the globes on my NH Paj several years ago to 60/100 and remember a significant improvement. Wasn't keen on upgrading the low beam due to possible damage to lenses (although glass) and I also reckon it's a bit rude especially around town.

Careful with the globe clip thingy as I forced one when replacing and turned a 5 minute fix into a 5 hour saga as it broke the ceramic hook bit off. Had to take the whole light out and carefully drill the ceramic backing to accept a screw or something.

Have recently added some cheap spotties (Navra Ultimas) and is a huge improvemnt again. Only problem is the metal bit of bumper which I thought was purpose made for mounting lights is way too wobbly on dirt roads.

Now I have to buy one of those $800 spotlight rack/bull bar doovers! :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 57009

Sponsored Links