Diff Breather extension

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:39
ThreadID: 12523 Views:2144 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just checked the new archive option (works great) prior to attacking my vehicle tomorrow. I noted several references to terminating the breather tube in a plastic fuel filter, but couldn't find the reason. I assume it would act as a mini air filter to prevent foreign particles from entering the otherwise open tube (after removal of the one way valve). Is this the reason or am I missing the point
Thank you in advance
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:52

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:52
You've got it mate!

Another alternative is to put the original breather ends back on - some require modification though, so that they DO breathe. That's what I've done with my Hilux - the Toyota breathers just have to have the end cap removed so you can take out the spring and then put the cap back on.
AnswerID: 56783

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 06:33

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 06:33
Dad did the same run them into the engine bay and reused the original breathers.
Seems to work fine.

Good luck
Eric
AnswerID: 56815

Follow Up By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:19

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:19
Hi all

Cant talk about any other vehicles except the 100 series cruiser.
Problem with the original diff breathers is that they have a one way valve on them. When your hot diffs hit some cold water diffs want to suck air due to the sudden temperature change. The original diff breathers will then snap shut to try and prevent water ingress. Problem with that is that the Diff could suck water through some other seal on your diff. Not good. By putting a fuel filters on the diff breather, the diff can suck and blow as much as it wants. Doesnt get any crap in the lines and wont put any pressure on your other Diff seals.

Cheers
FollowupID: 318620

Reply By: daddy - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:47

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:47
Thank you all for the information
Cruisin ( Qld) . My vehicle is also a 100 series, I've also extended the gear box and transfer case breathers by tapping into the diff breathers with tee pieces. Had a hell of a job trying to find where the original gear box breather terminated, it ran over the top of the gear box, over the bell housing and then disappeared behind the insulation on the firewall. I wasn't too keen about cutting it off without knowing where it finished so I consulted my 75 series w/shop manual (my previous vehicle) and found that it did infact terminate just after going behind the firewall insulation.
What a rediculous place to terminate a breather! Anyway the job is finished now, getting a snorkel fitted next week and then a slow trip to the Cape over the next few months. Thanks again for the replies
Regards
Chris
AnswerID: 56862

Follow Up By: geocacher - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:57

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 22:57
Doesn't need to be a fuel filter. A bit of foam rubber over the end of the tube secured with tape or a cable tie will do and is cheaper. It has less air resistance and is cheaper. You only have to stop a bit of dust etc.

The theory of the fuel filter is that they block the passage of water also. If they are high enough that isn't an issue.

The one's on my dual cab that I did are terminated as follows:

Front up top of firewall.
Back behind a tail light up in rear quarter.

dave
FollowupID: 318658

Sponsored Links