Crystals for older Codan units

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 20:49
ThreadID: 12525 Views:2502 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have an old Codan 7727 that I would like to tune to VKS737 and RFDS channels and set up in the shed as a base. I only exepct to use this for getting a better understanding before I lock into a decision on the vehicle side. I already have a sat phone but want HF for the daily skeds etc and to be able to communicate with a few friends out in the desert. Nothin new here eh!

I am looking for atleast two crystals, 2020 for RFDS and 8022 for VKS737 network. If I can obtain others within these networks then I would be happy but it is not imperative. The system will accomodate up to 10 channels.

My question relates to the availability of such crystals and whether they can be purchased readily through the likes of say "Radio Parts" or is it a case of doing the rounds of the HF repairers? Maybe someone else has had a similar experience of late. I am based in Melb and have a friend who can cover off on the installation of the crystals....... subject to me obtaining the parts!

Any enlightenment in this pursuit would be most welcome!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:09

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:09
G'day Lux,
years ago, I'm kalking mid 80's here, I used to get Crystals from Radio Parts.
Also from Altronics (Melb.).
Have no idea if they can still supply.
Try this website, they are not too far from you,
For Crystals

Good luck,
Mike.
AnswerID: 56771

Follow Up By: Member - Luxoluk - Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:46

Friday, Apr 30, 2004 at 21:46
Many thanks Mike. The Hy-Q International appears to be just what I need and it's only a few minutes away. Fantastic! Thanks again for your help.

Cheers
FollowupID: 318538

Reply By: The Banjo - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 09:40

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 09:40
Lux....a radion techo I have regular contact with says that swapping crystals is not the only issue....there are apparently small coils that drive the crystals and they need to be changed (not in all instances ) to match up with the crystals.......to swap the crystals only might mean sig loss of performance ..... it does not add much cost.......mainly a bit of labour by a techo......in Adelaide, we have several HF service places to go.........I had a Tracker Scout for awhile....crystal sets do indeed have a great range and clarity for voice.....I upgraded to a newer set though to get selcall and radphone on board.
AnswerID: 56901

Sponsored Links