Groundcover to Camper Trailer

Submitted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 15:24
ThreadID: 12532 Views:2773 Replies:13 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased an off road camper trailer set up and neaerly have it all down pat.
Now this will sound a bit like i am a pussy but we are usually camping in sand and keepin that stuff (or ta least some of it) OUTSIDE in the annexe (or away from the annexe) is purely frustrating.
I hav ebeen advised that Shadecloth allows the sand to fall through and works a treat- is this true?.
I ask as i would have considered that if it falls "through" it will conversely come "up" from the ground and it turns into a bloody merry go round?.
I would hope that someone has experienced this sand issue before and could assist with some advice as to what i could lay down on the ground in the annexe to keep the sand at bay . The annexe is onlt 4.0 m X 2.4 m .

I know its absurd to keep it ALL out but sheeez climbing over sandcastles from the kids is just not on ):):):

Any advice is warmly wellcomed and recieved . (mabe i coudl use a vacum...pfffft

Cheers

Paul N (Bris Vegas)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hedonist - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:34

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:34
Paul,

I have never tried shadecloth when camped in loose sand - but can highly recommend the annexe matting sold by Camec and others - this is like a large heavy duty non-slip mat which is thicker than shadecloth and effectively allows the sand, dirt etc to fall through the holes.

I have been so impressed with the way this matting worked in the annexe that we bought another large piece (about 2.6 x 4.0 m ) to use outside the annexe as well - this gave us a clear area around our tables and chairs where the kids could clean the sand off the clothes, feet, gear etc before going anywhere near the tent.

We spent a week camped on the beach over easter and it worked absolutely brilliantly. Not cheap, but worth every cent to avoid sand in the bedding!

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 56847

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:45

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 16:45
Agree with Hedonist on the stuff, it can be hosed off and is better than shadecloth as a reduced slip. Priced in the region of $45-$50 a lineal metre though. Use it also as a drawer liner but it does tend to travel there.
AnswerID: 56848

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:15

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:15
Kim,
I've used shadecloth on sand many times with my camper-tralier and it works a treat.
DB
AnswerID: 56851

Reply By: Member - Willie Sydney - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:17

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:17
I have a Trak Shak that was supplied with a shadecloth underfloor to protect the tent floor. It extends out past the door and it is great for exactly what you want . The sand goes down though it , but does not seem to come up agian . I don't know why but it works really well . I was talking to a guy in the camp ground at Venus Bay and he was saying that getting the correct mesh size in the shadecloth is important .
Unfortunately I cannot think of a way of communicating to you what size mine is , but you could ring up Trak Shak and ask what size they use . They are nice people and I am sure they would tell you .
Willie
AnswerID: 56852

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:26

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:26
Paul ,we always use shadecloth as a ground cover when camped,,cheap ,easy to carry ,easy to replace ,easy to clean when back home {just hang it onto the hills hoist and hose off } also remember one of the best things when beach/sand camping is lots and lots of " no frills "talcum powder ,, a large one at the door to the camper and just wipe talc onto legs/feet whatever ,sand wet or dry just falls off and you never have sand inside..
AnswerID: 56854

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:36

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:36
we also use shadeclothe but got tarp rings sewn into the corners and the middle (5m)long) so we can put tent pegs in to hold it down
steve
AnswerID: 56858

Reply By: Mark (Geelong) - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:38

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:38
I have just replaced the shade cloth for outside camper area and this time used 70% shade cloth
It works fine with all dirt and sand falling through.
The previous one was 90% and i believe that the 70% works better as the sand falls through easier
Very cheap only cost me $11 from mitre 10 for 6 mteres

happy camping
Mark (Geelong)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 56860

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 09:01

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 09:01
I do the same.

I buy the cheap stuff from places like Clints Crazy Bargins , The Warehouse , those sort of places.

Its 70% and cost me less then $11 a metre (3.6 wide). From memory , was around $8 a metre.
FollowupID: 318744

Reply By: rolande- Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:45

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 17:45
Paul,
SWMBO makes us take off our shoes before entering the tent, we have a mat to stand on outside the door. Its a Pain I.The A. but it does keep the tent clean!
Rolande
AnswerID: 56861

Reply By: boycey - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 18:09

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 18:09
Paul

Probably not totally pertinent to your speciifc query as I can't comment on how well shadecloth does in loose sand, but it sure works a treat in dust/mud.

Nothing will keep all the muck out of the annex, but the shadecloth option is the best I've tried so far

AnswerID: 56865

Reply By: Boeing - Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 21:19

Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 21:19
Paul, Another suggestion is to get a "eyelet" kit from Bunnings or similar and fold the shadecloth over 50mm and stick down with liquid nails. This fold then has the eyelets inserted and when layed on the ground tent pegs are used to stretch it out and keep it tight. The eyelet kits aren't expensive.

Regards

mark
AnswerID: 56878

Reply By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 08:21

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 08:21
Paul,

I would have to agree with the above. i have been using shade cloth for a couple of years now and works well. Ours has eylets to pin it down also, which are good as the cloth doesn't bunch up etc. If neccessary you can drive a peg through it also without too much damage to it. Just replace every few years.

good luck
AnswerID: 56896

Reply By: bear63 - Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 14:12

Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 14:12
Paul
I go with the rubber mat option, It doesnt twist fold or blow away you can wipe your feet on it and sand falls through it but it feels a whole lot nicer underfoot than shade cloth. I use shadecloth under the tent floor to assist in keeping the sand off the under floor keeps it dryer underneath and makes packing up a whole lot quicker and easier. You can get the matting from Clark Rubber.
AnswerID: 56912

Reply By: Stuart - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 12:55

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 12:55
Hi Pual, we use a 7X5m piece and a 3X3m piece of shade cloth as well. Took it to the local canvas maker and had an edge and eyelets fitted. Our is also doubled over and was made from bits and pieces we had on one side and a full piece on the other. We use two pieces one under the camper and one under the annex. Sand and water go straight through and feels great to walk on in bare feet. One of the local camping shops here in Canberra is now selling pre made ones at about $60 I think. These are about 4mt square and have edging and eyelets. Make sure to have it edged or it will start to curl up on you. You won't regret getting some. Bye..
AnswerID: 57007

Sponsored Links