GU 3.0TD Patrol

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:41
ThreadID: 12584 Views:2117 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Good evening all,
I have just recently done a trip out to Broken Hill and surrounds (great trip, kids loved it). About 2000kms of the 3700km round trip was on dirt roads, I picked up a lot of dirt, dust and crap in my air filter box, I have since cleaned it out all is good again but while out there my fuel economy was shot! I am going back July and would like some suggestions on how to overcome it next time.
My Patrol is a 2004 3.0 TD with ARB steel bar,
Thanks Ben,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:47

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:47
clean your filter at base camp every days
AnswerID: 57108

Follow Up By: BenH - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:52

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 22:52
HI Eric,
Thanks I will,
Will a snorkel improve the claen air intake? and if so which is the best design for a Patrol or they all very similar,

Thanks Ben,
FollowupID: 318837

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 23:23

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 23:23
G'day Ben,
Snorkel will improve the cleanliness of the air intake, except if you are driving close behind another vehicle which is kicking up a lot of dust of course. I always try to hang back out of the dust for that reason as well as having this "thing" about liking seeing where my Patrol is headed!!
I use a Unifilter and carry a spare outer element for it, oiled up and ready to replace the other one. On a long trip I carry the oil bottle and some turps/petrol/kero etc to clean them up.
I also have a Donaldson pre-cleaner to go on top of the snorkel; but prefer not to use it if I can avoid, because it doesn't allow the air to flow as freely as the normal ram.
FollowupID: 318848

Reply By: PradoBoy - Monday, May 03, 2004 at 23:12

Monday, May 03, 2004 at 23:12
G'day Ben,
Erics advice is quite correct. I would also fit a snorkel if you don't have one - but don't skimp on cleaning the air filter every day (or atleast as often as you can). It doesn't take much effort or time to do it and if it is that filthy then image the stuff that might be getting through into your donk. Why take the risk?
Enjoy the trip in July! Cheers,
PradoBoy
AnswerID: 57111

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 10:34

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 10:34
I have fitted a genuine Nissan snorkel to my GU, reckon they look the best and was the cheapest by far ($265 when buying vehicle).

But be VERY careful about oiled filters on the GU. It has an air flowmeter and any residue oil will stop it reading correctly. This is common to any late model diesel that uses an air flow meter, not just Nissan GU's.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 57135

Follow Up By: Old Johno - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 16:07

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 16:07
Captain,
I had this thought about oil on the sensors put to me but according to Unifilter & confirmed by Hornsby Nissan's people the sensor has a hot wire that is designed to burn any oil off
FollowupID: 318918

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 21:48

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 21:48
Gidday Old Johno,

All good in theory, but
1)when "burning the oil off" it gives a false reading - the hydrocarbons have a different effect on the wire temperature than air passing over it.

2) The oil doesn't actually burn off but evaporates. The lighter components flash off easily while the heavier residues take longer. Over time you get a buildup of grunge (tar like substance) on the wire and it gives a false reading - an offset if you like. Then your meter is catcus (and no you cannot simply clean the wire)

But hey if you want to risk it, be my guest. I used to run an oiled filter on my 1HZ cruiser diesel, but wouldn't risk it with my GU.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 318974

Reply By: Member - Andrew O - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:48

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:48
I have a safari snorkel fitted and use a Finer Filter snorkel sock which fits over the intake. It is oiled, so removes a large portion of the dust, and then there is the factory filter to stop any oil hitting the airflow meter. I've been really happy with this setup.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 57157

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 14:55

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 14:55
Just on Snorkels, I have had my safari on the Surf (3.0L td) for a couple of weeks now and have had some interesting fuel consumption changes.
Now these figures are nowhere near scientific, they are big estimates however I am sure they are close as my fuel light comes on when I have used 50 out of 60L of my diesel tank.

Normally WITHOUT roof rack and with approx 50% air con use I would get an average of 360-370kms out of 50L. (I have a heavy right foot and an auto).

My last trip away over the weekend with the Surfer loaded up to the hilt (including roof rack and a mates massive swag on the roof - pictures of surf from weekend in rig pic RHS) using approx 50% air con and 4wding I got 395kms before my light came on (50L used).

Just thought it was interesting, I was always led to belive that the snorkel would do stuff all for your economy and that it was a myth that they improved it.
AnswerID: 57175

Reply By: crowie - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 20:39

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 20:39
BenH

Probably everything has all been said. But clean your filter each day. Best to get a snorkel. You can then attach a pre filter such as a Donaldson which sits on top - or a Unifilter pre-filter which is like a sockand fits on the inside the snorkel near the top which I have used. I have always been reluctant to use oil type filters and I think test have proven that the good quality paper ones are just as good. Thered are also neopreen type ones which stretch over the mouth of the snorkel but I think these interfere with air flow.

The Nissan snorkel is a rebadged Airflow and they can probably be bought cheaper from the accessory shops as an Airflow..
AnswerID: 57230

Reply By: Chump - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:40

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:40
I dunno Ben - thats what you get for following around a little X-Trail at barely less than the speed of sound.....

Anyway, I bet u had that big aerial on the bull-bar - that would have added a good 2L/km in sheer wind resistance....

lol
AnswerID: 57298

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:06

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:06
Yes, get a snorkel.

I would only use genuine Nissan filters during Warranty.

I have known a guy who had his air flow meter stuff up and he was using a oiled up uni filter!!! he doesn't any more.

AnswerID: 57299

Sponsored Links