Great Central Rd Vs Gunbarrel Hwy

Submitted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 16:08
ThreadID: 12603 Views:2563 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a solo trip west later in the year In our GU Patrol towing a off road trailer. Just wondering how the two options for westward travel from Uluru stack up against each other. I know that the GB will take 5+ days. can anyone advise how long it is likely to take to get from Warburton to Wiluna via the Great Central Rd and Goldfields Hwy ? (I know its a lot further). Out Ultimate objective is Ningaloo so i supose we need to end up at Meekathara.
What does each trek have to offer in the way of must do's & see's.
Unfortunately can only do one on this trip.

cheers

matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 16:42

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 16:42
depends what you want to achieve I did the gcr 11 months ago and it was very rough till 100 k out of ulara heading west until I hit the grader and it was fine (still stuck to 80k because it was a bit variable) so should be plain sailing all the way to laverton so this would be the quickest easiest way. now the gbh i understand is a bit more of a 4by experience so will take longer and be more what we are all about - up to you. Must sees along the gch are limited due to most of it being aboriginal land so about all that is accesable is lassesters cave peterman ranges and giles meteralogical station. Time your departure from ulara so you camp at the docker river campgrounds (nominal fee and bush camping is not permitted along most of the road) because when you get up in the morning walk to the back of the campgrounds and on top of the small hill is a lookout you can climb that overlooks the campgrounds with its big desert oaks and onto the peterman ranges illiminated by the rising sun. 2 permits required for the gcr get them at alice they are free but allow a bit of time coz they can work funny hours the 2 places are close to each other and the tb at alice can give you the address and phone number and you can also get your moorinie loop permit there (sorry i have assumed you are going to alice)
AnswerID: 57188

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:17

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:17
The GCR is a big dirt freeway. OK it can be a bit rough at times. One of our group sustained a broken windscreen from a car going the other way at 110 kph. Don't go this fast.
On the other hand the GBH hasn't ever been graded and is severely corrugated. I vowed I would never drive along it again after crossing from Maroochydore to Carnarvon in 1998. The ARB steel roof rack fractured but the Pajero survived. Luckily was able to buy second hand tyres in Meekatharra.
So only go via GBH if you don't have fillings and don't mind a very unpleasant drive.
AnswerID: 57196

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:36

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:36
unless i am wrong most of the gunbarrell was built by a grader as the dozer broke down which is whiy it doesnt quite live up to its name.
FollowupID: 318933

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:44

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:44
as with the other replies - the great central road is almost a 'highway'. the graders should be working now tghe rains have stopped. the gunbarrel is 'interesting'. take your time and be prepared for a few repairs either along the way or at the end. both offer pleasant scenery if this type of country does it for you (it does for me). enjoy the trip whichever you choose. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 57201

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 20:31

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 20:31
Matt. The Gunbarrel is one of Australia's great remote camping experiences where as the GCR is more of a transit route. The question you probably need to ask -
Are you, the GU & your trailer prepared to be punished on arguably one of the roughest of Len Beadel's Historic outback rds or do you prefer to play it safe on your own and drive around the long way?
Personally I love the GB. Lookouts, monuments and rockholes are scattered along the route.
Must see- The old GB from Giles to Heather Highway (need a second car)
Mungilli claypan.
Mt Beadel.
Cheers Craig..............(the rougher the better)
AnswerID: 57227

Follow Up By: Matt14 - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:50

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:50
Craig

Thanks! Thats exactly the question im struggling with. So much to see and do and so little time. It would be a simple question if the Gunbarrel was the main purpose of the trip but its only a scenic detour on the way there. Therefore we dont want to spend less time than it deserves in enjoing it. By the same token travelleng a thousand odd kays on a dirt freeway (if thats what the GCR is) has stuff all appeal.

Cheers

Matt
FollowupID: 319025

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 15:01

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 15:01
besides the few highlights I mentioned the gcr did have stuff all appeal i travelled from yulara about 7pm and camped at docker river then i did from docker river to laverton the next day coz i was out of beer the only othe entertainment available was to try and guess what sort of car that is on its roof as there is about 2 car bodys per k for the entire length of the road if you take the gcr there is also malcolm dam between lav and leonora that is worth a look
FollowupID: 319063

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:03

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:03
Matt. Many drive the GB on their own, it's just a matter of preparation.
Parts of the track are as rough as it gets with some of the biggest corrigations in Oz since the Olga's rd was sealed. Your trailer would need to be a true all terrain model & carry all the usual gear for breakdowns. If you have 5 days to spare it's a great experience.
Cheers Craig................................
FollowupID: 319074

Sponsored Links