Bush Camping along Tanami

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 02:08
ThreadID: 12618 Views:2050 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning to come this year (again, 3rd time) to your beautiful country. This time i would like to cross from south to north using as much as possible dirt roads. However I have some question on the Tanami.

Could somebody let me know what would be a good place to camp along the Tanami track between Yuendumu and Rabit Flat?

On my map I have a bushcmaping at Renahans Bore does this one still exist?

Is Rabit flat still only open Friday till Monday ??

Thanks for any help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 07:24

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 07:24
Hi Bert
We went up the Tanami last year. There were a few camp site along that part of the track, but they were just bush camps just of the road near creek beds.
Rabbits flat was open on the weekend Friday Sat Sun. Fuel was cheaper at Tilmouth and more friendly and then you should have enough to get to Halls Creek
Ray
AnswerID: 57270

Reply By: daddy - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:15

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:15
Hello Bert, on each occasion we've travelled the Tanami we've just wheeled in behind one of the many repeater towers. There is usually a cleared area around the enclosure and we've never had any problems. I did have a few concerns about being irradiated so I insisted my wife sleep closest to the tower ( the human shield)
Regards
Chris
AnswerID: 57280

Reply By: Walter Here - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:19

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 19:19
Bert we just roll out the swags whenever and wherever we want.
If it looks good and looks comfortable that is where I lie.
We like to stop around 4pm and have a few reds and make a great nosh. After early dinner I stick the bread on for supper.
Here is an awesome bread recipe with a difference.
2 Eggs (or egg substitute), 375gm tin Creamed Sweetcorn, 100g Grated Cheese, 250gm Flour, pinch of salt, 125 ml Milk, 250gm Corn Meal, 15gm Baking Powder
Beat eggs and milk, add cheese and sweetcorn ,then gradually add dry ingredients. Pour into oiled loaf pan and bake at 185C for 40-45 mins. Serve hot with butter.
If I have a bit of bacon, mushrooms, capsicum left over I will chop it up and add it to the mix. Be inventive and add all sorts of things.
AnswerID: 57348

Follow Up By: Bert from Holland - Friday, May 07, 2004 at 01:56

Friday, May 07, 2004 at 01:56
Thanks for you recipy
FollowupID: 319348

Sponsored Links