GQ Coil Springs

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 12:44
ThreadID: 12625 Views:1515 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I am looking for some advice about the suspension of my GQ wagon (don't worry Truckster I have already read the archives). It is starting to sag in the back, not a lot but it is noticable. I tow a pretty heavy horse float that does have reasonably high down pressure, it has stabiliser bars but still sits the arse end down a fair bit. I would like to put better springs all round, I have spoken to some suspension places and they have suggested 1mm heavier springs that will give a 2" lift, some say put in new shocks some don't, prices suggested were about $1000 for the springs and shocks to fit them myself. Reading the archive I saw a lot of cheaper prices than that?? I dont do any extreme 4wding mostly going to the beach, the vehicle doesnt carry large weights usually only when towing the float every couple of weeks, rest of the time its on the highway or round town unladen

My questions are:
1. Do I need to do shocks and springs?
2. Whats a reasonable price?
3. How heavy springs should I go, and will there be much compromise on ride quality?

Thanks....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GeeVee - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:35

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:35
Zapper

If you only tow a float every couple of weeks, are not into rock-hopping, and the vehicle is generally unladen, it may be worth considering standard rear springs with polyairs. This set-up gives you a degree of control over load compensation. Replacement of front springs and shocks would depend upon condition.

If you decide to re-spring vehicle, make sure spring rating is "progressive" so that you don't get a harsh ride when unladen.

There are a multitude of options, happy hunting!

Greg
AnswerID: 57302

Follow Up By: duncs - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:10

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:10
Zapper,

I'd go with Greg. A standard rate spring with a set of Polyairs. Keep it comfortable when it is empty and level it up with the air when teh horses are along for the ride. They only take a couple of min to adjust even with a small compressor.

Duncs
FollowupID: 319058

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 15:04

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 15:04
Hi Zapper
I would go with the polyairs, you can adjust them for the load you are carring, even altering the pressure on one side to the other, even one pound more on one side makes a difference. They work great with the camper as we adjust the polyairs to suit the camper off, or on the ute plus when it is filled for two months away. Also improves the ride alot
Ray
AnswerID: 57323

Reply By: Big Trev - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:04

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 20:04
Ring Grant at Pedders in Bendigo on (03) 5447 0009, he will give you some good advice on springs and Polyair.
AnswerID: 57354

Sponsored Links