Tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 13:21
ThreadID: 12627 Views:2169 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Has anyone had any experience with the Kelly brand of A/T Tyres. what was the outcome, hard to make up mind between, BFG's (which seem to be less popular), Bridgestone new D694'S, or Cooper A/T. Use is about 70/30.
What a dilemma.
Hate having to buy new tyres.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:42

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:42
I've used BFG A/T's on my old 2.1tonne rocky and they were quieter than the Bridgstones on the 1.7t Surf. Didn't puncture the BFG's in the 6months I had them before selling the car. The Bridgstones on the Surf are tired and old but still have good grip, they have had a pretty full on work out over the last six months, 10psi loaded up sand/dune driving, rocks, gravel, tar, you name it, they've done it and have been damn good, no punctures (touch wood).
Not sure about Kelly's or Coopers, never used them, however I know Uppy has got Kelly's on the Nissan Patrol/School bus, he might be able to comment.
AnswerID: 57316

Reply By: RussellV - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:45

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:45
Have had Kelly Safari MSRs now for about 6 months. Can't complain about them - They are noisy but you have to expect that with an aggressive pattern. They are not as good in the wet as HTs but are excellent in the rough stuff. Compare side wall thicknesses with the others as I've staked one of them in burnt out wattle country - but then again you have to expect that too!

Cheers!
AnswerID: 57317

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:49

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:49
dought that kelly are in the same leage as the others as they are much cheaper I replaced my 2 wrecked savero (brand new) in kunnnunura with kelly safari awr after the grr and managed the rest of my 14,000 trip with no flats including the gcr but then I wrecked one between kookynie and leonora this is probably as much to do with running 55psi due to the weight of my vehicle I recently have tried running it at 40psi on dirt even though it sways around at the back more TO TRY AND SAVE SOME MONEY
AnswerID: 57320

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:20

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:20
55 psi on dirt Davoe ? There is your problem no give in the tyre so it fractures.
I always drop pressure to 28 rear and 25 front on gravel and a little more on rocky ground, fully loaded for extended hols. Never get fractured tyres and I run savero a/t and get over 90,000 out of them, and have done so for many years.
FollowupID: 319116

Follow Up By: Davoe - Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 10:04

Thursday, May 06, 2004 at 10:04
wasnt reading the forum then but I also have a big camper on the back and 28psi rear looks like most peoples 15psi If i could be bothered i think it would be better with splitties and more truck orientated tyres
FollowupID: 319165

Reply By: NathanK - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:57

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 14:57
i've recently put the new Bridgestone D694 Dueler A/T's on my Discovery - first impressions are an extremely good a/t tyre. very aggressive tread pattern = loads of traction especially in sand, it really grips ands bits the sand without digging itself down.

noise is great, much quieter than coopers and BFG's. wet road handling is also very impressive.

so far, they've topped my list of tyres used - i go up to Coral bay next week for a few weeks of 4wd'ing up there, so i'll update you when i return as to their performance after over 2 weeks of hard off-roading!!!

can't wait!!
nathan
AnswerID: 57322

Reply By: TonyT - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:57

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:57
Kellys on the Jackaroo- 4 weeks off road in the Centre last year full load no prob's- others in the group were getting flats-I reckoned it was the speed-70,000k's and still got some life in them- most on the blacktop, but I'll be putting another set on , if I don't trade the Jack inthe meantime- just another opinion.
AnswerID: 57344

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:41

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 21:41
Big bo,
Tyres, tyres, tyres, I don't know where you have got the impression that BFG's are less popular, as far as I can know I thought the opposite, the BFG's are the only ones with the three ply side wall so in theory they should be stronger and less resistant to punctures / sidewall damage. Pressure as mentioned seems a tad high, I run about 38 psi in my tyres, bit lower on gravel, no problems to mention. Coopers have had a bad run at our club members are now going back to the BFG's, there's a lot of other stuff you have to do in the fine print that if you don't do it the warranty is invalid as some have found out. Kelly's, I've had them on a "normal" vehicle, compound was soft and didn't give the life I expected, the tread pattern looked good. If you go for the BFG's make sure you get the ones out of the US, they're getting harder to find, they appear to be harder to get them to balance initially but once that's set up right they're good, unless you roll them off like I did (my fault). The ones from either Malaysia or Japan don't seem to be as good. Hope this helps, there is millions of threads about tyres if you do a quick search. Again my opinions.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 57380

Reply By: Geoff (SA) - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 11:38

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 11:38
Big Bo,

I have had a set of Kelly Safaris on the GU for 68,000K's and would have another 10,000K left.
I have only just replaced them for another set of the same ready to do the Anne Beadell, Connie Sue and Old Abandoned section of the Gunbarrell in June.
Have only had one puncture, and that was a sharp rock on the Oodnadatta Track a couple of years back.
They also have an 85,000Km warranty that has no fine print.
Noise is very acceptable.

See you out there one day.
AnswerID: 58427

Sponsored Links